[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Athletic: "Twelve thoughts from Shaka Smart on Marquette’s 12 players"  (Read 11592 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Oh god, won't someone think of the Venture Capitalists! https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/the-athletic/company_financials

Nads hung it up as the free loaders wouldn't pay him by the word any more and so he went into the dividend investing game. 

4everwarriors

• All American
Duz dat hafta bee original words, orr cut and paste words, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
What!? They have investors!? But I thought they were privately held by a writers union!?!?

Everyone has backing. Writers need clicks though to justify their jobs--and inflow of subscriptions to pay their salaries. That's a dumb argument.

Moreover, everyone here bitches how we don't get enough coverage. Finally a national publication shows they're gonna focus more on Marquette-specific content and instead of supporting it everyone's like "well, if I have to pay for it I don't want it!" and then the coverage disappears because no one supports it. Then everyone here bitches how we don't get enough coverage.

So yeah, I stand by my statement-- Yall are kinda sad.
Yes sir. It is all about the fookin $$$$.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

jesmu84

• All American
Duz dat hafta bee original words, orr cut and paste words, hey?

Like crash?

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Like crash?

Ha! Just spit out my bourbon. 

buckchuckler

• All American
I love how defensive people of for the Athletic, when there is a pirated game stream thread, what, every game?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The Athletic article didn't say much. It was more of an opinion piece, with Shaka saying everyone has to get in better shape and get more experience.

Frankly we get just as good information from many of the posters on this site.

All that said, I am very excited about the team we have coming in for this year. I think it has a potential to be a cohesive unit.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
The Athletic article didn't say much. It was more of an opinion piece, with Shaka saying everyone has to get in better shape and get more experience.

Frankly we get just as good information from many of the posters on this site.

All that said, I am very excited about the team we have coming in for this year. I think it has a potential to be a cohesive unit.

The "opinions" were largely Shaka's.

I haven't seen any of the posters on this site interview Shaka at length, one-on-one, and publish his comments.

Nice try, though.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The "opinions" were largely Shaka's.

I haven't seen any of the posters on this site interview Shaka at length, one-on-one, and publish his comments.

Nice try, though.
Most of the words were the authors conjecture intermixed with a few comments from Shaka many of which we have already heard. The player evaluations were nothing more or less than 10-15 regular posters on this site provide.

It wasn’t a bad article by any means it just didn’t tell us anything we haven’t already heard

The value is the author put it in all one article

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
Most of the words were the authors conjecture intermixed with a few comments from Shaka many of which we have already heard. The player evaluations were nothing more or less than 10-15 regular posters on this site provide.

It wasn’t a bad article by any means it just didn’t tell us anything we haven’t already heard

The value is the author put it in all one article

Hamilton interviewed the coach and quoted Shaka about 20 times, not just about each player but about the overall team. Perhaps any Scooper could have done it ... but none did. It's like saying that any of us could run a marathon in under 3 hours, which I guess also technically is true.

But hey, they can't all be the "excellent research reports" that you cut and paste.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JakeBarnes

• All American
Hamilton interviewed the coach and quoted Shaka about 20 times, not just about each player but about the overall team. Perhaps any Scooper could have done it ... but none did. It's like saying that any of us could run a marathon in under 3 hours, which I guess also technically is true.

But hey, they can't all be the "excellent research reports" that you cut and paste.

+1
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Doesn't sound like Garcia is necessarily coming back to MU if he doesn't go NBA: "Garcia’s willingness to bet on Smart and Co. probably determines whether he’s in Milwaukee or toiling elsewhere."

MUDPT

• All American
Doesn't sound like Garcia is necessarily coming back to MU if he doesn't go NBA: "Garcia’s willingness to bet on Smart and Co. probably determines whether he’s in Milwaukee or toiling elsewhere."

From his social media posts, he consistently is working out in MU gear. I think he’s back in Milwaukee if he doesn’t go pro. But I gave up trying to figure out what 20 year olds were thinking years ago.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
I love how defensive people of for the Athletic, when there is a pirated game stream thread, what, every game?

Are those game streams embedded into Scoop somehow?  Otherwise it's not the same thing at all.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GOO

• All American
From his social media posts, he consistently is working out in MU gear. I think he’s back in Milwaukee if he doesn’t go pro. But I gave up trying to figure out what 20 year olds were thinking years ago.
My exception is that he is not back at MU.  I hope I'm wrong.  But his quote about going pro or back to "college" tells me something.  I do realize that quote was from a while ago, and he may or may not have built a relationship with Shaka or another coach such as at MN by now.  But that quote, when I first read it, made me think he is gone.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
What I gathered from that article is that if I'm going to have a good next season I'm going to have to get into the best shape of my life.

"He'll have to get into the best shape of his life," is my fav Shaka aphorism so far.

Scoop Snoop

• All American

Agree. Let's hope it is MU but if he joins Theo maybe we can start calling Duke "Marquette South". The only season we ever looked like Duke North during Wojo's reign was this past season when both teams missed the tourney. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

JakeBarnes

• All American

I think "toiling elsewhere" implies going pro still, but not in the NBA.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
I think "toiling elsewhere" implies going pro still, but not in the NBA.

Ehh, it could mean either.  Its definitely possible that Dawson is playing college ball somewhere other than Marquette next fall.  I can think of 352 other programs that would find a spot for him.   

While the article didn't tell us much, it did reinforce what I've been thinking and saying since DJ bolted.  This team isn't going to be any good next season, with or without Dawson and/or Morsell.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
I can think of 352 other programs that would find a spot for him.

Which 5 programs wouldn't have room for him?  ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Which 5 programs wouldn't have room for him?  ;D

I've lost track!  Crazy there are that many D1 programs these days. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

buckchuckler

• All American

Are those game streams embedded into Scoop somehow?  Otherwise it's not the same thing at all.

I feel like I was clearly not actually hoping someone would send me their password.

Jesus some of you are nut jobs assuming asking for 1 article is an indictment on how I spend all my money.

This is what I was talking about.  People giving Galway crap for a pretty harmless comment.  I have no idea what you're even talking about. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
This is what I was talking about.  People giving Galway crap for a pretty harmless comment.  I have no idea what you're even talking about. 

Ah OK.  I thought you meant people who were suggesting they shouldn't cut and paste the article here.  Galway can spend his money on whatever he wants.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
Ah OK.  I thought you meant people who were suggesting they shouldn't cut and paste the article here.  Galway can spend his money on whatever he wants.

Given that I'm in the wedding planning process it's more what my fiancé wants

I kid... my parents and her parents are also spending my money on what they want for that too.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 12:17:15 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

muwarrior69

• All American
Ehh, it could mean either.  Its definitely possible that Dawson is playing college ball somewhere other than Marquette next fall.  I can think of 352 other programs that would find a spot for him.   

While the article didn't tell us much, it did reinforce what I've been thinking and saying since DJ bolted.  This team isn't going to be any good next season, with or without Dawson and/or Morsell.

I know we're all pumped about the program now that Wojo is gone and Shaka is here. We have 2 returning players and 9 newcomers for sure. Over the 7 seasons that Wojo was here one of my main criticisms was his inability to coach players up and make the team perform better than its individual parts. I look forward to see if Shaka is better than Wojo and will give him 3 seasons to get the program rolling and quite frankly no one knows how this team will perform next season. What we do know is that the program could not continue the way it was going.