[Today at 04:39:02 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Best buzzer beater in MU history  (Read 13422 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Best buzzer beater in MU history
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2021, 07:19:36 PM »
Funny, no one mentions the Iceman's streak killer at the Arena, hey?

Dwight Clay?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2021, 07:21:20 PM »
That's it, Lenny Man. Took out the Warriors home winning streak as well, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2021, 08:03:30 PM »
That's it, Lenny Man. Took out the Warriors home winning streak as well, hey?
That was a hard one to watch at the Arena.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2021, 08:12:38 PM »

I was at the Wardle game in Louisville January 1998. Furious comeback from 16-18 down. Long buzzer beater jump shot. 19,000+ at Freedom Hall went stone cold silent. My 5 buddies and I were anything but silent. Felt lucky to get out unharmed, and I've been to more Packers/Bears and Brewers/Cubs/WSox games than I can count

If I recall, Deane was giving it to fans in the stands after.  I remember being a kid and chucking pillows and being yelled at for swearing late in that game cause it was going POORLY.  What a swing

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2021, 09:28:04 PM »
If by "best" we mean most important or biggest, there is one and only one answer. I mean, it won a Final Four game and got us within one win of the only championship in Marquette history. So Jerome's shot is No. 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

But if we're talking about "favorite" or "best you witnessed in person," or "best you witnessed period," then all those mentioned here are so much fun to get to remember all over again ... so thanks, everybody!

Mine was Rivers' shot. I was sitting near halfcourt, on the opposite side, so I had no angle to tell if it was on target. When it went in, it was totally amazing ... and then total bedlam. I love the photos of Michael Wilson sitting on the rim, celebrating. The fact that I really like Glenn as a person adds to my enjoyment of that shot.

My three other faves: Sam's shot against Creighton, Vander's drive against Davidson and Junior's shot against UConn. Sam's and Junior's seem impossible, and Vander's capped a comeback that I still can't believe happened and sent us on the way to the Elite Eight. Novak's was right up there, as was Vander's Big East title clincher vs. St. John's.

I wasn't a Marquette fan yet when Lucas hit his, so I just don't remember it. I've heard about it for years, and I've seen the photos, and I know the mayhem that ensued afterward, so I love that it happened.

And yes, beating Madison anytime is wonderful, so I really appreciate Justin for putting that ball in the basket!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2021, 09:34:44 PM »
Alisson’s header in the 95th minute on Sunday.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2021, 09:54:08 PM »
In recent memory, Blue against St John's for the Big East title.

For me it's the buzzer beater winner that really matters. Hauser and Junior forced OT, they didn't win games. Blue against Davidson and Novak against ND didn't actually beat the buzzer, they left time on the clock.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2021, 11:06:13 PM »
Can we give Travis Downer's game winner in TBT an honorable mention or an asterisk or something? It was a million dollar shot after all.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2021, 11:11:28 PM »
Damn spell check

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2021, 11:20:43 PM »
Damn spell check

There is a modify option.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2021, 06:07:36 AM »
1. Jerome Whitehead

2. Every other buzzer beater in the history of   
    Marquette basketball combined.

Only Jerome’s mattered.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2021, 07:21:15 AM »
4ever
I have mentioned before, but the Dwight Clay shot was the first time I ever left an MU game after a loss. Seeing a loss in person was awfully tough. I will never forget the silence of the crowd walking out of the Arena and on the way to our car.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2021, 08:06:01 AM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2021, 08:07:29 AM »
Only Jerome’s mattered.

So winning the big east title was nothing more than another game to you?
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2021, 08:21:58 AM »
Probably one of the most exciting 1:10 in MU BB History.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-EdfwyLvZk

So fantastic to see that again.  I think I've told my personal story from that day before.  Few things in my life are so vivid for me.  Helluva 24 hours, that's for sure.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2021, 08:26:45 AM »
And yes, beating Madison anytime is wonderful, so I really appreciate Justin for putting that ball in the basket!

Goes to show what a poor season this past one was that the UWM win totally escaped my mind.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2021, 09:08:09 AM »
In recent memory, Blue against St John's for the Big East title.

For me it's the buzzer beater winner that really matters. Hauser and Junior forced OT, they didn't win games. Blue against Davidson and Novak against ND didn't actually beat the buzzer, they left time on the clock.

If Junior misses his buzzer beater against UConn, then Vander's buzzer beater against St. John's doesn't win the BE title share.

If Vander had missed his, Marquette might have still won in double OT.

I still would rank Vander's as more significant, but without Junior's there is no BE title.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2021, 09:21:56 AM »
If Junior misses his buzzer beater against UConn, then Vander's buzzer beater against St. John's doesn't win the BE title share.

If Vander had missed his, Marquette might have still won in double OT.

I still would rank Vander's as more significant, but without Junior's there is no BE title.

IIRC Junior's buzzer beater was just to force OT.  Game winning bb > game tying bb.  I also believe that UCONN game was the one with a stoppage about 2 minutes into OT when the refs realized that both teams were going the wrong way.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2021, 09:54:47 AM »
IIRC Junior's buzzer beater was just to force OT.  Game winning bb > game tying bb.  I also believe that UCONN game was the one with a stoppage about 2 minutes into OT when the refs realized that both teams were going the wrong way.

Game tying buzzer beaters are huge when you win in OT, but meaningless if you lose in OT.

If Junior misses against UConn, Marquette is 13-5 and does NOT win the BE.  Vander's buzzer beater against St. John's wouldn't have been the iconic BE title delivering moment that it is.

No doubt Vander's is the bigger moment since it clinched a BE title share in real time, while Junior's shot needs the benefit of hindsight to truly appreciate its significance.

In my mind, the two shots are linked. A poetic bookend to Marquette's lone BE title: a buzzer beater to avoid defeat in the BE opener and a BE clinching buzzer beater in the BE finale.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2021, 10:11:25 AM »
Game tying buzzer beaters are huge when you win in OT, but meaningless if you lose in OT.

If Junior misses against UConn, Marquette is 13-5 and does NOT win the BE.  Vander's buzzer beater against St. John's wouldn't have been the iconic BE title delivering moment that it is.

No doubt Vander's is the bigger moment since it clinched a BE title share in real time, while Junior's shot needs the benefit of hindsight to truly appreciate its significance.

In my mind, the two shots are linked. A poetic bookend to Marquette's lone BE title: a buzzer beater to avoid defeat in the BE opener and a BE clinching buzzer beater in the BE finale.

I mean we can't say that for sure. Maybe then they aren't going in as confident later on and flop against Ville or GTown. Maybe they play with a bit more fire against Cincinnati.

But yes assuming all else the same you're right every shot that year is a difference maker
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2021, 10:21:55 AM »

I was at the Wardle game in Louisville January 1998. Furious comeback from 16-18 down. Long buzzer beater jump shot. 19,000+ at Freedom Hall went stone cold silent. My 5 buddies and I were anything but silent. Felt lucky to get out unharmed, and I've been to more Packers/Bears and Brewers/Cubs/WSox games than I can count

https://twitter.com/ClassicsCBB/status/1320174836086312960?s=19

That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks for sharing the story and the link to the video. Memory is a crazy thing. I was 8 years old when I watched that game and don't know if I've seen a replay since. The second that clip started playing, I remembered exactly how the last play went down. One of my earliest MUBB memories.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2021, 10:28:37 AM »
If we're doing worst buzzer beaters then I'm saying half our losses in the 2009-10 and 2010-11 seasons

This will always be the worst for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsWbqqgvYrs

I was sitting on the edge of the Marquette section, right across the aisle from the Butler section. There was a group of obnoxious 40 something old Butler fans acting like high schoolers. Every time Butler scored or MU messed up they would turn to the MU section and be generally obnoxious. One of them yelled "travel" literally every time Marquette was dribbling and would go ballistic at the ref every time Marquette would score. Watching that circus shot go in was painful.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2021, 10:43:21 AM »
Novak versus Notre Dame has to be up there....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcZz-er3pEE

This is my personal favorite.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2021, 10:49:54 AM »
This will always be the worst for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsWbqqgvYrs

I was sitting on the edge of the Marquette section, right across the aisle from the Butler section. There was a group of obnoxious 40 something old Butler fans acting like high schoolers. Every time Butler scored or MU messed up they would turn to the MU section and be generally obnoxious. One of them yelled "travel" literally every time Marquette was dribbling and would go ballistic at the ref every time Marquette would score. Watching that circus shot go in was painful.

Oh year and then he nearly repeated it in the NCAA tournament.

Mine is Washington in 2010 ncaa tournament. I don't care if Quincy Pondexter or Isaiah Thomas lead the Bulls to an NBA title I still wouldn't root for either because I'm still salty about that.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2021, 10:55:33 AM »
I’m nervous watching these videos even knowing that the shot goes in....