Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: No Time for Rebuilding?  (Read 7681 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: No Time for Rebuilding?
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2021, 02:17:01 PM »
It looks like Texas has rebuilt very quickly with out Shaka. They have now moved into the preseason top 25.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2021, 02:31:03 PM »
It looks like Texas has rebuilt very quickly with out Shaka. They have now moved into the preseason top 25.

Texas was a Top 10 team last year.  Not sure "rebuilt" is an appropriate term for where they are.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2021, 02:43:27 PM »
Chris Beard has been the coach du jour for a few years now, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2021, 02:44:19 PM »
Texas was a Top 10 team last year.  Not sure "rebuilt" is an appropriate term for where they are.

Shhh...you're messing up his narrative.

Actually, they were ranked as high as No. 4 in both polls (including four weeks in the Top 5) and spent eight weeks in the Top 10 (including the final poll before the tournament). I sure hope Beard can resurrect that moribund program.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2021, 02:52:48 PM »

Lets really hope you are not insinuating something incredibly dumb
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2021, 04:04:29 PM »
Anything short of it is a failure.  Al McGuire never missed the NCAA Tournament

He came damn close in 1977, though.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2021, 04:17:17 PM »
Shaka will be given time for rebuilding, however I won't be surprised if Year 1 Shaka rebuild > any year of Wojo.  It's a low bar though.  All he has to do is make the tournament and not lose by ~20 to a mid major.

It seems to me like year one of the rebuild has already occurred.

I've never been excited about a coaching change because it always meant the team's talent would take a nose dive as a poor to start with team (hence the change) would lose all or pretty much all of a decent recruiting class and the next year would be an undermanned and undertalented team struggling to get by while we all focused on the new guy's first recruiting class.

Shaka, aided greatly (but not entirely) by the brand new transfer rules has turned that situation on its head.  He kept much of MU's recruiting class and added to it by a lot.  He then augmented with some great, immediately eligible transfer players.  With the COVID extra year of eligibility rule, MU has essentially a 10 player freshman class.  Instead of next year being a biding our time year, MU will already be in year one of Shaka building a team in his image with his recruits.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2021, 09:45:22 PM »
Lets really hope you are not insinuating something incredibly dumb
Texas was not in the way to early preseason top 25 and now have moved into it. This is after they basically lost Shaka's whole recruiting class. So yes Beard rebuilt them quickly.

14. Texas Longhorns
Previous: Unranked

The biggest riser since the launch of the rankings earlier this month, Texas has undergone dramatic roster changes. Donovan Williams, Kamaka Hepa, Gerald Liddell and Royce Hamm hit the transfer portal, Matt Coleman and Jericho Sims were seniors and Kai Jones and Greg Brown could both head to the NBA draft. Only Andrew Jones, Courtney Ramey and Jase Febres are expected to be back. But Chris Beard hit the transfer portal in a big way for reinforcements, landing four top-25 transfers: Utah's Timmy Allen, Creighton's Christian Bishop, Vanderbilt's Dylan Disu and Kentucky's Devin Askew. On top of that, Beard went out and got top-30 prospect Jaylon Tyson, who committed to him at Texas Tech. There's a ton of talent on this roster, but it will be interesting to see how quickly it all comes together in Austin. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Longhorns bring in another player or two from the portal; they continue to pursue guards.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 05:15:47 PM by bilsu »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2021, 07:08:08 AM »
Texas was not in the way to early preseason top 25 and now have moved into it. This is after they basically lost Shaka's whole recruiting class. so yes Beard rebuilt them quickly.

14. Texas Longhorns
Previous: Unranked

The biggest riser since the launch of the rankings earlier this month, Texas has undergone dramatic roster changes. Donovan Williams, Kamaka Hepa, Gerald Liddell and Royce Hamm hit the transfer portal, Matt Coleman and Jericho Sims were seniors and Kai Jones and Greg Brown could both head to the NBA draft. Only Andrew Jones, Courtney Ramey and Jase Febres are expected to be back. But Chris Beard hit the transfer portal in a big way for reinforcements, landing four top-25 transfers: Utah's Timmy Allen, Creighton's Christian Bishop, Vanderbilt's Dylan Disu and Kentucky's Devin Askew. On top of that, Beard went out and got top-30 prospect Jaylon Tyson, who committed to him at Texas Tech. There's a ton of talent on this roster, but it will be interesting to see how quickly it all comes together in Austin. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Longhorns bring in another player or two from the portal; they continue to pursue guards.

Beard has done an incredible job since he got hired.  T-Rank has them at 17 with a top-10 defense.  My guess is, he’ll have them contending for a Big XII title next year
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2021, 01:11:42 PM »
5 YeArS tO jUdGe

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2021, 04:30:16 PM »
If Shaka takes MU to the tourney next year, it won't be appreciated as much as it should be.  It's rare for teams comprised mostly of Freshmen and Sophomores to make the tourney, unless you're stacked with 5* talent.  Even then it isn't a guarantee - see 2021 Duke and Kentucky for more info.   Also, take a look at Duke/Kentucky rosters for 2020-2021 and compare them to ours right now.  Theirs are better.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2021, 04:35:57 PM »
I will be extremely impressed if Shaka gets to the tourney next year.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2021, 05:26:38 PM »
Back to no time for rebuilding topic.

I would agree that Shaka has brought in athletes to build a team upon, To complete the rebuild he needs to bring in three players in next years class that can be significant contributors right away. We should expect solid results the third year. To be really good our team needs to get old. To stay really good we need to add three solid contributors every year.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2021, 09:39:55 PM »
Back to no time for rebuilding topic.

I would agree that Shaka has brought in athletes to build a team upon, To complete the rebuild he needs to bring in three players in next years class that can be significant contributors right away. We should expect solid results the third year. To be really good our team needs to get old. To stay really good we need to add three solid contributors every year.
I think it is still possible to bring in a couple of upper classmen onto the current team.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 12:04:53 PM by Herman Cain »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2021, 12:15:16 AM »
And what as Marquette moved into? They have been very good as well.

Who cares what Texas has done? MU is ranked pretty high themselves...stop setting up for future complaining and fire him now complaints.

lol
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 12:17:08 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2021, 08:36:44 AM »
What has MU “ moved into “ ?

Well, nothing actually.  They are not in any top 25 projections for next year.

Per Lunardi they are not projected in the NCAA Tournament next season ( or
even close).  I hope Shaka moves them
Up and we make the Dance ...

But ... as others have pointed out ...
It’s an entire roster of freshman and sophomores