collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 01:40:18 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-2022 NFL Season  (Read 269821 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season
« Reply #1550 on: October 25, 2021, 10:33:51 AM »
I just hope the bears/Nagy figure out the "why"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1551 on: October 25, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »
Matt Nagy has got the COVID.
How can you fire a sick man?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1552 on: October 25, 2021, 11:53:08 AM »
Does COVID brain fog explain anything?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1553 on: October 25, 2021, 12:06:35 PM »
I was completely wrong about the Chiefs. I had them penciled in for the Super Bowl.

Hope , they don’t regain their mojo when they play the Packers .

Mojo won't help overcome the lack of an offensive line or defense.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1554 on: October 25, 2021, 12:12:49 PM »
Matt Nagy has got the COVID.
How can you fire a sick man?

Is it possible the Bears implement a 10+ week quarantine period? Can’t be too careful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1555 on: October 25, 2021, 12:16:07 PM »
Are the Panthers and Broncos kicking themselves yet for taking DBs ahead of Mac Jones?

Are the Bears kicking themselves for taking a QB over Jones?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1556 on: October 25, 2021, 12:52:16 PM »
Are the Bears kicking themselves for taking a QB over Jones?

Jones would be floundering in Chicago too.  He's been fine but its not like he's setting the world on fire.  He's in a good system that allows him to make a lot of short manageable passes and he still has a 1.5 TD to INT ratio.  More than half his games his average completion is under 7.5 yards.

Fields has taken 22 sacks and he's a mobile QB with great elusiveness.  Jones has taken 14 in NE.  He'd be embedded in the turf if he was a Bear.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1557 on: October 25, 2021, 03:05:58 PM »
Adams has Covid as well, very likely he misses Thursday night (which sucks, I was really looking forward to seeing that game).

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1558 on: October 25, 2021, 03:20:47 PM »
Quick turnaround on Thursday. Let our dudes rest and take a faux bye week

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1559 on: October 25, 2021, 03:27:06 PM »
Jones would be floundering in Chicago too.  He's been fine but its not like he's setting the world on fire.  He's in a good system that allows him to make a lot of short manageable passes and he still has a 1.5 TD to INT ratio.  More than half his games his average completion is under 7.5 yards.

Fields has taken 22 sacks and he's a mobile QB with great elusiveness.  Jones has taken 14 in NE.  He'd be embedded in the turf if he was a Bear.

Mac Jones yards per completion: 7.2
Justin Herbert yards per completion: 7.2
(Others of note ... Ryan Tannehill and Patrick Mahomes. 7.6; Tom Brady and Josh Allen, 7.5; Kirk Cousins, 7.4).

Mac Jones intended air yards per attempt: 7.5
Justin Herbert, Dak Prescott, 7.4; Patrick Mahomes, 7.7; Joe Burrow, 7.8.

Mac isn't the Mad Bomber by any stretch, but he's been perfectly average when it comes to pushing the ball downfield. He is not Checkdown Charlie.

You wrote a post yesterday lamenting Fields' lack of weapons, but Jones' top receivers are Jakobi Meyers and Kendrick Bourne. Not many teams - zero, in fact -  are taking that pair over Allen Robinson and Darnell Mooney.

As for Fields' sacks, many of them are because he's been agonizingly slow with his reads and holds on to the ball too long.
More telling is pressures. Fields has been pressured in 23.3% of his drop backs. Among starters, that's less than Bridgewater, Russ Wilson, Jameis, Zach Wilson, Cousins, Darnold, Wentz and Allen, and within 2 percentage points of six other starters. Yet Fields has been sacked more than all of them, and only Darnold is close (21 on 253 pass attempts, to Fields' 22 on 131 attempts).

Again, Nagy is terrible and the Bears O-line ain't great, but Fields has issues that are all his own.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 03:29:01 PM by Pakuni »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1560 on: October 25, 2021, 03:53:39 PM »
Davante Adams is worth 2.5 - 3 points, line jumped to AZ -6 or -6.5 depending on what book you use.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1561 on: October 25, 2021, 04:01:10 PM »
(Others of note ... Ryan Tannehill and Patrick Mahomes. 7.6; Tom Brady and Josh Allen, 7.5; Kirk Cousins, 7.4).

Mac isn't the Mad Bomber by any stretch, but he's been perfectly average when it comes to pushing the ball downfield. He is not Checkdown Charlie.

You wrote a post yesterday lamenting Fields' lack of weapons, but Jones' top receivers are Jakobi Meyers and Kendrick Bourne. Not many teams - zero, in fact -  are taking that pair over Allen Robinson and Darnell Mooney.

As for Fields' sacks, many of them are because he's been agonizingly slow with his reads and holds on to the ball too long.
More telling is pressures. Fields has been pressured in 23.3% of his drop backs. Among starters, that's less than Bridgewater, Russ Wilson, Jameis, Zach Wilson, Cousins, Darnold, Wentz and Allen, and within 2 percentage points of six other starters. Yet Fields has been sacked more than all of them, and only Darnold is close (21 on 253 pass attempts, to Fields' 22 on 131 attempts).

Again, Nagy is terrible and the Bears O-line ain't great, but Fields has issues that are all his own.

Mac Jones is working with Josh McDaniels.  Jones probably got better coaching at Alabama as well.  Some NFL people aren’t overly impressed with some of the coaching that occurs in Columbus.  Fields definitely has issues but he’s in an impossible spot imo. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1562 on: October 25, 2021, 04:17:05 PM »

I remember the knock against him during the leadup to the draft was exactly that (in addition to work ethic, being "last in, first out") and many analysts took serious heat for saying it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1563 on: October 25, 2021, 04:29:44 PM »
I remember the knock against him during the leadup to the draft was exactly that (in addition to work ethic, being "last in, first out") and many analysts took serious heat for saying it.

No "many analysts" did not take heat for saying that.  Dan Orlovsky took heat for stating it came from "NFL sources."  After which, many people who know him and worked with him defended him.

I will say right now there is no evidence that I am aware of that his work ethic is a problem either.  Do you have any?

The slowness in reading his progressions?  Definitely.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1564 on: October 25, 2021, 04:43:29 PM »

No "many analysts" did not take heat for saying that.  Dan Orlovsky took heat for stating it came from "NFL sources."  After which, many people who know him and worked with him defended him.

I will say right now there is no evidence that I am aware of that his work ethic is a problem either.  Do you have any?

The slowness in reading his progressions?  Definitely.

I would post the numerous articles going after analysts talking about his poor reads and decision making ability but someone here might resort to personal insults again. Here's Todd McShay talking about Fields being a "one read QB:"

"The catalyst for this is a report from ESPN analyst Todd McShay who regurgitated a stat that said Fields only progressed to his second read seven times in 200 throws, and he mentioned the “research” was done by scouts for an NFL team."

There were also concerns about his poor reading of delayed blitzes and staring down receivers.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1565 on: October 25, 2021, 04:44:59 PM »
I would post the numerous articles going after analysts talking about his poor reads and decision making ability but someone here might resort to personal insults again. Here's Todd McShay talking about Fields being a "one read QB:"

"The catalyst for this is a report from ESPN analyst Todd McShay who regurgitated a stat that said Fields only progressed to his second read seven times in 200 throws, and he mentioned the “research” was done by scouts for an NFL team."

There were also concerns about his poor reading of delayed blitzes and staring down receivers.

Right.  But this isn't about his work ethic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1566 on: October 25, 2021, 04:46:28 PM »

I didn't say Fields has no weapons.  I did say the Chargers have more (which I would still stand by) and that Burrow has his favorite target.  Fields, for whatver reason, doesn't have great chemistry or feel with Robinson which is a huge issue.  I don't know if thats on Fields or if its on the myriad problems on the North Side.

And I wasn't saying Mac Jones was a Checkdown master.  I'm saying he's in a system that affords him plenty of options and reads for mid range passing.  McDaniels is a douche and a bad HC (at least thus far) but he's a very good OC.

Jones has been pretty good for stretches and looked like a rookie for stretches.  The idea that the Bears or Bears fans should bemoaning not selecting him is silly.  Its based on some idea that Fields has been some super concerning disaster and another rookie QB would be doing just fine or really good in the mess in Chicago.

Fields is far from blameless and has a lot of maturing and polishing to do, but like Rico said, I don't know what young QB in his situation wouldn't.  From the mixed messages in pecking order and coaching early on, to the roster issues, to terrible on field guidance, I honestly just want him to get through this year competing and injury free.

He was talking about the idea that he has some bad work ethic or attitude problems, which seemed largely unfounded.  Not that he's slow in diagnosing reads or has issues with progressions.  That was known but was balanced by his physical abilities and accuracy.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1567 on: October 25, 2021, 05:16:38 PM »
Mac Jones is working with Josh McDaniels.  Jones probably got better coaching at Alabama as well.  Some NFL people aren’t overly impressed with some of the coaching that occurs in Columbus.  Fields definitely has issues but he’s in an impossible spot imo.

Throw out the Mac Jones comparison, then. Doesn't change the fact that Fields has been objectively bad so far. Not just worse than Jones, but worse than Zach Wilson and worse than Trevor Lawrence, neither of whom walked into ideal circumstances either. Heck, Fields has been worse than Davis Mills, and if you think the Bears' offensive depth chart is lacking, go check out the Texans' roster.
(Also worse than Trey Lance, but that sample size is way too small).

I totally get that Bears fans need to blame Fields' struggles on others. The franchise wagon is hitched to the guy for the next 4-5 years. and if he's not good, it will set the team back for a long, long time.
I'll say it again, none of this means Fields is doomed to be a bust or won't be the best QB of the 2021 draft class in three years. But he's struggled mightily, and much of those struggles are a result of his own deficiencies. Bring in a new coaching staff tomorrow, and those deficiencies don't go away. With the exact same coaching staff and same roster issues, Money Mitch never looked this bad and even went to the Pro Bowl in his first season with Nagy.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 05:21:03 PM by Pakuni »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1568 on: October 25, 2021, 05:35:55 PM »
Throw out the Mac Jones comparison, then. Doesn't change the fact that Fields has been objectively bad so far. Not just worse than Jones, but worse than Zach Wilson and worse than Trevor Lawrence, neither of whom walked into ideal circumstances either. Heck, Fields has been worse than Davis Mills, and if you think the Bears' offensive depth chart is lacking, go check out the Texans' roster.

I totally get that Bears fans need to blame Fields' struggles on others. The franchise wagon is hitched to the guy for the next 4-5 years. and if he's not good, it will set the team back for a long, long time.
I'll say it again, none of this means Fields is doomed to be a bust or won't be the best QB of the 2021 draft class in three years. But he's struggled mightily, and much of those struggles are a result of his own deficiencies. Bring in a new coaching staff tomorrow, and those deficiencies don't go away. With the exact same coaching staff and same roster issues, Money Mitch never looked this bad and even went to the Pro Bowl in his first season with Nagy.

Because of posts like the one asking if the Bears regret not taking Jones.  Or this constant need to evaluate the totality of a QB or the pick less than halfway into the season.  Nobody here, nor any non-meathead Bears fan is sitting saying that Fields has been great or that he is gonna be a contender for OROY.  They are pointing out the very real issues in Chicago that are far greater than one rookie.  Constantly pulling data points to be like "well actually Fields is terrible, here is PFF showing why you're wrong to say anything positive about him" is just a valueless discussion.

As for the talk about Trubisky, that was Nagy's first year before everyone figured him out and revealed the Emperor had no clothes.  He was COY the year that year which seems hysterical in retrospect.  Pretending that is the same scenario as now just because its still Nagy is the coach is not a like for like.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1569 on: October 25, 2021, 05:38:23 PM »

I’m no Bears fan, so I’m enjoying the comedy of it all.  I’m not saying Fields doesn’t have issues.  He does!  He’s in an impossible spot imo.  He’s probably a guy that needed the redshirt year this year but he’s with a staff that’s desperate to win now and worst of all, a bad staff.

The Trubisky pro bowl is worthless considering he was way down the pecking order. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1570 on: October 25, 2021, 06:07:09 PM »
Adams has Covid as well, very likely he misses Thursday night (which sucks, I was really looking forward to seeing that game).

He catches everything, so I'm not too surprised.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1571 on: October 25, 2021, 06:40:44 PM »
The Trubisky pro bowl is worthless considering he was way down the pecking order.

Fair, he was an alternate. But he also had a legitimately solid season ... #3 in the NFL in QBR, #16 in passer rating that year. And he did it with Taylor Gabriel and Tarik Cohen as his top pass catchers (Robinson missed several games with injuries).
My point is that while Nagy is bad, he's not so bad that it was fait accompli that Fields would be the worst starting QB in the NFL seven weeks into the season. I suspect the Bears fans who were calling for Fields to start from week one - and that would  be about 95 percent of them - believed this would be the outcome.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1572 on: October 25, 2021, 07:23:42 PM »
Are the Panthers and Broncos kicking themselves yet for taking DBs ahead of Mac Jones?

Perhaps. Although Jaycee Horn was playing at a Pro Bowl level and the Panthers were undefeated when he got hurt.

It's hard to find a lock-down CB, and that's still what the Panthers think they have in Horn. But yes, it's harder still to find a franchise QB; time will tell if that's what Jones becomes. Lots of players on both sides of the ball have looked great against the Jets.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1573 on: October 25, 2021, 08:01:52 PM »
Fair, he was an alternate. But he also had a legitimately solid season ... #3 in the NFL in QBR, #16 in passer rating that year. And he did it with Taylor Gabriel and Tarik Cohen as his top pass catchers (Robinson missed several games with injuries).
My point is that while Nagy is bad, he's not so bad that it was fait accompli that Fields would be the worst starting QB in the NFL seven weeks into the season. I suspect the Bears fans who were calling for Fields to start from week one - and that would  be about 95 percent of them - believed this would be the outcome.

I don't have PFF grades in front of me, but pretty sure that Mitch season had a better offensive line too

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1574 on: October 25, 2021, 08:19:57 PM »
Lots of players on both sides of the ball have looked great against the Jets.

Including a bunch of Panthers.

Anyhow, Jones put up passer ratings of 119 and 101 against Dallas and Tampa, respectively.