[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Football Update  (Read 14517 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: Marquette Football Update
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2021, 02:37:01 PM »
Return to football and you've got ready-made opponents in Butler, Georgetown and Villanova, with three non-scholarship Div. I teams (St. Thomas, Drake, and Valpo) within driving distance of Valley Fields.

The biggest force that would prevent this is dark money from the University of Wisconsin.  I'm half kidding.
Which means I'm half serious.  Wisconsin is the 20th state in population but has only one Division 1 team.  This imbalance gives UW an incredible advantage in cultivating their walk on program.  It also explains why UW-Whitewater is so dominant. 

A FCS or D2 program could be pretty competitive in Wisconsin given metrics. 

I'm not advocating for a team but merely pointing out that when you look at state's population and see that from 21-40 most have 2 teams, some have 3 and even a few have 4, there could be opportunity in Wisconsin.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2021, 03:15:23 PM »
The biggest force that would prevent this is dark money from the University of Wisconsin.  I'm half kidding.
Which means I'm half serious.  Wisconsin is the 20th state in population but has only one Division 1 team.  This imbalance gives UW an incredible advantage in cultivating their walk on program.  It also explains why UW-Whitewater is so dominant. 

I'm not advocating for a team but merely pointing out that when you look at state's population and see that from 21-40 most have 2 teams, some have 3 and even a few have 4, there could be opportunity in Wisconsin.

We could recruit Whitewaters roster fill in some legit D1 recruits and win FCS based on what I remember from the last FCS football game I watched
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2021, 05:45:51 PM »

To your point, Michigan has U of M and MSU and also has Central, Western and Eastern as MAC teams in D1. Then you get into Ferris State, Grand Valley State and Northern Michigan DII.

MU could put together a very decent quality FCS team. 

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2021, 05:54:37 PM »
Maybe Al McGuire will rise from the grave and announce his intention to coach again, too
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2021, 06:01:56 PM »
Fun fact: Al McGuire played high school football against Joe Paterno.  Al was able score easily bc JoePa looked the other way.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2021, 06:04:24 PM »
We could recruit Whitewaters roster fill in some legit D1 recruits and win FCS based on what I remember from the last FCS football game I watched

Could Whitewater be competitive in FCS?  Would we be scholarship or non-scholarship FCS? It's a hell of a lot easier to get kids to pay to pay full costs at Whitewater or LaCrosse especially in-state kids (Minnesota too if WI still has tuition remission for MN natives) than to pay full costs at MU. Tuition at Whitewater is under $8K a year, $15,384 with room and board. $24K for out-of-state students. This is without merit and need based aid too. Meanwhile, MU is $60K. That's the biggest impediment, IMO.

To your point, Michigan has U of M and MSU and also has Central, Western and Eastern as MAC teams in D1. Then you get into Ferris State, Grand Valley State and Northern Michigan DII.

MU could put together a very decent quality FCS team. 

Saginaw Valley and Wayne State in D2 as well. However, all of those are public schools. It costs $25K for in-state students and $30K for out-of-state students at GVSU, all in. Even less at SVSU, Ferris, and NMU.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2021, 06:29:28 PM »
Fun fact: Al McGuire played high school football against Joe Paterno.  Al was able score easily bc JoePa looked the other way.
I think there is a photo of this somewhere.
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2021, 06:31:19 PM »
Could Whitewater be competitive in FCS?  Would we be scholarship or non-scholarship FCS? It's a hell of a lot easier to get kids to pay to pay full costs at Whitewater or LaCrosse especially in-state kids (Minnesota too if WI still has tuition remission for MN natives) than to pay full costs at MU. Tuition at Whitewater is under $8K a year, $15,384 with room and board. $24K for out-of-state students. This is without merit and need based aid too. Meanwhile, MU is $60K. That's the biggest impediment, IMO.

Saginaw Valley and Wayne State in D2 as well. However, all of those are public schools. It costs $25K for in-state students and $30K for out-of-state students at GVSU, all in. Even less at SVSU, Ferris, and NMU.
Non scholarship FCS to start. MU would have no problem attracting students to be in the program. Georgetown has kids falling all overthemselves to play football for the Hoyas. 
            ---Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2021, 07:34:28 PM »
Non scholarship FCS football is worthless.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2021, 08:12:27 PM »

Competitive? Sure. I think part of Whitewater’s success is the lack of FCS programs within 3 hours of Milwaukee or Madison.  So you can get a lot of fringe non-D1 talent to play there.

“Win” FCS like Galway said? I’m not sure if he meant win games or win a title, but if it’s the latter, no way in hell.  The best FCS teams like NDSU, James Madison, and Eastern Washington could probably win some of the lower level FBS leagues and regularly beat FBS teams.  They’d obliterate Whitewater or Mount Union

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2021, 08:34:37 PM »
Non scholarship FCS to start. MU would have no problem attracting students to be in the program. Georgetown has kids falling all overthemselves to play football for the Hoyas.

Love the enthusiasm but I’m gonna say this: We’re not Georgetown

And now louder for the folks in the back:
WE’RE NOT GEORGETOWN
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 08:44:03 PM by The Lens »

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2021, 08:40:17 PM »

Whitewater and the other UW schools would not be competitive in FCS. They just don’t have the resources. They have looked at D2 before and even that’s a stretch.

D3 is perfect for them. They get the glory of winning titles without the costs associated with D2 or FCS.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2021, 09:57:56 PM »
Non scholarship FCS football is worthless.
I have been to a few games and saw a lot of school spirit and people having fun.
            ---Al McGuire

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2021, 10:47:51 PM »
Likely the aptly named Frosty Ferzacca.

Johnny Druze?
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2021, 10:56:49 PM »
I have been to a few games and saw a lot of school spirit and people having fun.

Whats “a lot of school spirit”?

Valpo averaged 1800-2000 fans a game the last few games, and that was usually buffered by a “big” game early in the year.  Multiple games have under 1200 fans.

Butler similarly, averages around 2500 a game, but again multiple games under 1500 fans a year.

Drake, under 2000.

Dayton has the highest of the set, but they are still under 3000 fans.

All of schools play in stadiums that seat way more than they bring.  Drake and Dayton both play in stadiums that seat more than 10K fans.  And they all have basketball teams that draw way more fans.

It’s a waste of time.  The Pioneer League has the lowest attendance as a conference in the FCS and usually gets blasted in any non-con games against legit FCS programs.

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2021, 07:25:59 AM »
Whats “a lot of school spirit”?

Valpo averaged 1800-2000 fans a game the last few games, and that was usually buffered by a “big” game early in the year.  Multiple games have under 1200 fans.

Butler similarly, averages around 2500 a game, but again multiple games under 1500 fans a year.

Drake, under 2000.

Dayton has the highest of the set, but they are still under 3000 fans.

All of schools play in stadiums that seat way more than they bring.  Drake and Dayton both play in stadiums that seat more than 10K fans.  And they all have basketball teams that draw way more fans.

It’s a waste of time.  The Pioneer League has the lowest attendance as a conference in the FCS and usually gets blasted in any non-con games against legit FCS programs.

I mean, I guess schools like Valpo are using football to get 50-80 students in the door they wouldn't otherwise get.  But I don't think that would be a smart enrollment move for MU.  They would be using resources best spent elsewhere.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2021, 07:35:12 AM »
I’m with Fluff & Wags.  The juice isn’t worth the squeeze. Also it’s pretty clear Jennifer Carton is anti big football school.  She has DJ leave football factory tOSU and then only left MU after the Peter “Clyde” Hall story surfaced. 

Being The U of the North is hurting recruiting.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 07:59:42 AM by The Lens »

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2021, 07:47:50 AM »
I think there is a photo of this somewhere.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2021, 12:07:58 PM »
Marquette football with the shoutout in SI today.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2021/05/01/iowa-state-first-round-nfl-draft-picks

Undefeated since 1960!
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2021, 12:17:16 PM »
Could Whitewater be competitive

Well, it's certainly no St Norbert's

Death on call

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2021, 02:29:52 PM »
Out of the Golden Avalanche era. That would be a great name to bring back, instead of Golden Eagles, and would keep Gold in the family.
If my memory serves me, MU last football victory was over those arrogant pricks, No Dick. What a way to close out.
F*%K No Dick.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

djorling

• Walk-On
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2021, 11:30:40 PM »
Marquette's last football victory occurred on 10/8/1960.  They beat Boston College 13-12.

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/Marquette.htm

Years ago I happened across an old Life magazine with a full-page picture of a Marquette Football game.  My computer skills being what they are, I had to take two frames to get the picture and the caption.  I hope the attachments work.  The pictures may help explain why Marquette dropped the sport.  If they are not attached, if someone could help me with the process I will try again.

djorling

• Walk-On
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2021, 11:33:13 PM »
Apparently, the second half was attached, but not the first.  Here's another try.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2021, 01:18:14 PM »
Dropping football also might have had something to do with a million dollar (and growing each year) deficit that was real money in 1960.

The good news was that retiring this debt drove the decision to go big time in basketball to pay the debt off.

Maybe we should get MU to startup football again. I mean if it leads to another decision to go big time in basketball, it would be well worth it.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2021, 09:02:17 AM »
Marquette did restart the Football Program, it's called Lacrosse.  They bet on the demo / geography of LAX players when investing in that sport and so far it seems to have paid off.  It had helped MU on both coasts.

Adding football would be more of an alum play.

feedback