Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Blackledge...  (Read 1809 times)

MarquetteFan94

• All American
Blackledge...
« on: February 09, 2008, 01:17:14 PM »
I realize it was a tough pass to handle...as Elmore pointed out in the broadcast...but if he comes up with that ball and throws it down we win that game...so frustrating.  Gutsy comeback...but no such thing a moral victory.

So many huge swings in this game...the play mentioned above, the 4 point play, the blown last posession of the first half...a million missed bunnies/layups...so irritating.

Anyone notice Blackledge was on the floor when we made our furious comeback at the end.....hmmm....and we don't press like that at certain times during the game because......

I'll never get it.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Blackledge...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 01:19:10 PM »
It's tough to say we would have won the game as there was still significant time left, but yes, we would have been in the drivers seat, instead of having to foul.  That's for sure!

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 01:20:42 PM »
I'll agree with that....it's just I think if we convert there ND would've been shell shocked and, as you said, we'd have all the momentum....ugh.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 01:23:52 PM »
No doubt about it... that cost us the game.  On the plus side, it was a great job getting the steal and putting us in that position.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 01:27:28 PM »
I actually put that play on Matthews. I think it was a bad pass - a pass that should not have been made. I completely understand his thinking as converting that thing would have been huge, but I'd like to have that one back.

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 01:29:17 PM »
Even with Blackledge's missed layup and bobbled pass, I think we're a better team with him on the floor than with Barro or Burke.  When Blackledge is on the floor, it seems like Marquette pushes the tempo and -- as just about everyone here can see -- we're a much better team when we're playing that almost 'out-of-control', fast-paced style.  When Marquette plays in a half-court, 30-second offense type of game, we seem to do worse.

This loss -- and this is completely subjective, based just upon how I feel -- is the most frustrating in my time at Marquette.  It's not that Marquette played poorly, it's just the combination of needing this win, all the missed layups, the free throw discrepancy etc etc.

And this is definitely hindsight speaking, but why didn't we try to pressure for more of the game?  Do they have anybody besides McAlareny (sp?) and Jackson who could handle pressure in the backcourt?  I'd think Marquette running a 2-2-1 like Louisville does -- if run properly -- would do wonders for the guys, but maybe that's an incorrect assertion.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 01:31:50 PM »
I actually put that play on Matthews. I think it was a bad pass - a pass that should not have been made. I completely understand his thinking as converting that thing would have been huge, but I'd like to have that one back.

I wasn't necessarily blaming Blackledge for the play...but you're right, maybe if the pass hits him in the chest we're talking about a W...

Why don't we press?  That tenacious comeback was generated by our chaotic defense...again, with Blackledge on the floor

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 01:34:59 PM »
I continue to struggle understanding why Crean has such a difficult time finding Blackledge on the bench, especially in light of how well he played against ND last time. I'm sure he has his reasons, but we sure seem to play more aggressively on defense when he's out there.

Pardner

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 01:40:28 PM »
I agree...that pass should not have been made.  He should have pivoted and gone inside where we had open lanes off the steal by DJ and JM.  I am guessing he thought it was DJ flashing in out of the corner of his.  Frustrating, but you have to love the effort on the the road to come back like that.

Boognish_MU

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 01:45:01 PM »
I actually put that play on Matthews. I think it was a bad pass

ok.. well if you are going to play in the Big East Conference, you are going to be expected to catch a pass that hits you in the hands.  I blame this on Blackledge.  Gutsy performance by MU in the last few minutes, but sadly it wasn't enough

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 02:36:27 PM »
And this is definitely hindsight speaking, but why didn't we try to pressure for more of the game?  Do they have anybody besides McAlareny (sp?) and Jackson who could handle pressure in the backcourt?  I'd think Marquette running a 2-2-1 like Louisville does -- if run properly -- would do wonders for the guys, but maybe that's an incorrect assertion.

People have been asking this for years now -- with no apparent answer.  We play better that way, but I guess sticking to the book is more important that success.  Oh well.

feedback