[Today at 06:34:41 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Warriors to Return?  (Read 14494 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Marquette Warriors to Return?
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2021, 09:48:42 AM »
It’s a joke Galway...

My bad, my morning coffee was still being made.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2021, 09:55:16 AM »
Marquette doesn't really lean into the mascot/nickname (because it's bland as heck), so whatever change it, don't change it, I don't care anymore.

I've always hated the "Golden Eagles is bland" argument just because Warriors is pretty bland as well.  Warriors is every where in sports.

When I think of non-bland names I think of Hoyas, Tar Heels, Terrapins, Hawkeyes, Buckeyes, etc.  Something that makes you only think of one school.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2021, 09:55:42 AM »
Joe Chapman was a warrior.

Death on call

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2021, 09:57:47 AM »
This was exactly my reply when MU sent me a questionaire on the name change. I suggested a Viking or Roman. I agree Warrior doesn't simply imply Native Americans. Hell, a Celt in a kilt would be a hellova mascot! ( definitely going commando)

For the record that's actually a surprisingly common mascot.

Monmouth comes to mind off the top of my head but I think there's a couple more.

Edit: Monmouth was the wrong school I can't remember who the schools were but there's more than a couple

Edit edit:
In D1

New Jersey Institute of Technology,
Presbyterian College
Radford University
University of California Riverside
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 10:05:15 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2021, 09:59:31 AM »
I've always hated the "Golden Eagles is bland" argument just because Warriors is pretty bland as well.  Warriors is every where in sports.

When I think of non-bland names I think of Hoyas, Tar Heels, Terrapins, Hawkeyes, Buckeyes, etc.  Something that makes you only think of one school.

I agree with this. That’s why I was thinking Golden Avalanche or Hilltoppers would be better and an easier change.

Nice of the TBT team to give us an opportunity to talk about one of our favorite topics!

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2021, 10:05:25 AM »
Hilltoppers would have been perfect. Historical and different (notwithstanding W. Ky.).

The chance for Warriors without native imagery has come and gone, so what’s the point of even having this convo? I‘d love it...but it ain’t happening. P.S. pretty sure Washington Football Team is going to do that with the Warriors.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2021, 10:20:03 AM »
Badgerettes rhymes with Marquette. No?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2021, 10:22:46 AM »
Someone once suggested the Marquette Muskies.

I urge Marquette to bring in the Zizzo Group to flesh out that concept.

Death on call

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2021, 10:33:27 AM »
I agree with this. That’s why I was thinking Golden Avalanche or Hilltoppers would be better and an easier change.

Nice of the TBT team to give us an opportunity to talk about one of our favorite topics!

This one, I believe, has roots in the MU football team so there is some history to it but I would never be able to get past the "yellow snow" connotation.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2021, 11:17:24 AM »

Death on call

billyjack

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2021, 11:27:23 AM »
Go with the Marquette McGuires ... alliterative, unique, flows perfectly with 2 syllables in each word, and Al will always be a larger than life figure. 

A lot of these other options are half-measures and names that require explanations like "the Runnin' Marmots was the squash team name in 1932 when Father Nobodycares saved a family of marmots during the Pabst water tower disaster that winter..."
Providence

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2021, 11:30:48 AM »
Go with the Marquette McGuires ... alliterative, unique, flows perfectly with 2 syllables in each word, and Al will always be a larger than life figure. 

A lot of these other options are half-measures and names that require explanations like "the Runnin' Marmots was the squash team name in 1932 when Father Nobodycares saved a family of marmots during the Pabst water tower disaster that winter..."

We don’t honor Al enough. Should put him in the nickname too.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2021, 11:37:29 AM »
Keefe - that is excellent guidance from Mr. Zappa.

My grandfather was always doling out little nuggets of advice. "Don't row in any leaky boats," "don't take any wooden nickels" (not a problem I've encountered in my lifetime, but I digress), etc. "Don't eat any yellow snow" is one that has served me well, and one I continue to abide by. He was a font of wisdom.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

cschor

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2021, 11:53:47 AM »
If Marquette went with the legendary musky fish, we would out sell the badgers for team merchandise. It is an outstanding idea. 

billyjack

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2021, 11:55:24 AM »
We don’t honor Al enough. Should put him in the nickname too.

Well, yeah, exactly.  44 years later he's still larger than life, still a symbol of the team, been honored in a zillion ways... but wait... using "Marquette McGuires" as your hoops nickname is a bridge too far... instead, go with the obscure sominex-type "Avalanche" with its roots in the 1930s or whenever.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 11:57:47 AM by billyjack »
Providence

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2021, 11:57:56 AM »
Keefe - that is excellent guidance from Mr. Zappa.

My grandfather was always doling out little nuggets of advice. "Don't row in any leaky boats," "don't take any wooden nickels" (not a problem I've encountered in my lifetime, but I digress), etc. "Don't eat any yellow snow" is one that has served me well, and one I continue to abide by. He was a font of wisdom.

Your grandfather was clearly a wise man and most likely a devotee of The Zappa.

Whether it was avoiding yellow snow, raising dental floss in Montana, finding the spot that gets her hot, immersing oneself in the pleasure of dirty love, or imagining Orrin Hatch on skis, The Frank dispensed pearls of wisdom by which a man could live honorably and without guilt.

Death on call

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2021, 12:02:13 PM »
Well, yeah, exactly.  44 years later he's still larger than life, still a symbol of the team, been honored in a zillion ways... but wait... using "Marquette McGuires" as your hoops nickname is a bridge too far... instead, go with the obscure sominex-type "Avalanche" with its roots in the 1930s or whenever.

Is anyone confused if this is sarcasm or not?
Maigh Eo for Sam

blue and gold

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2021, 12:15:07 PM »
There’s a college located 5 miles from MU which has its nickname as the Warriors. 

Their mascot and logos of “Warriors” is a knight.

www.wlcsports.com

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2021, 12:17:42 PM »
I don't know why we're wasting our time with this again. We aren't going back to Warriors. Hilltoppers probably should have won but didn't.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2021, 12:20:14 PM »

Even conceding that "warriors" is bland, that doesn't somehow transform "golden eagles" into something compelling.

Jumpin' Jesuits for life.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2021, 12:30:33 PM »
I don't know why we're wasting our time with this again. We aren't going back to Warriors. Hilltoppers probably should have won but didn't.
We aren't, no.  But the TBT team may be.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2021, 12:35:46 PM »
Give the Golden Eagle a sword...............

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2021, 12:41:16 PM »

I'd wager that most people under 40 who aren't affiliated with Marquette have no idea who Al McGuire is.

Hard truth.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2021, 01:08:55 PM »
I am far from the first person to suggest this, but seeing as going back to Warriors is impractical, I think it would be a better option (and much cooler) to state that we have no nickname at all--we are just Marquette.

We Are (clap clap) Marquette
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2021, 01:18:27 PM »
If Marquette went with the legendary musky fish, we would out sell the badgers for team merchandise. It is an outstanding idea.

The musky is a ferocious apex predator that is rightly feared by both man and beast. We should be proud to be represented by such a noble creature. And the fact that muskie comes from the Ojibwe word meaning "Great Fish" links us inimitably with our Warrior Heritage in The Land of Sky Blue Waters.

It's time to take Anne Zizzo off the leash and let her cut loose on this concept.

Death on call

feedback