Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[Today at 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Theo John transferring?  (Read 47180 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Theo John transferring?
« on: April 15, 2021, 11:30:04 AM »
Kinda outta nowhere after all his comments.

And, Duke?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Theo John transferring?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 11:35:07 AM »
It is a little out of nowhere, but maybe he was just done with MU.

Theo seemed hurt at the end of the year.  Maybe he needs surgery.  Going to college would seem to make more sense than trying to get a pro job while hurt. That said, Theo was kind of always hurt.

Sounds like the chances of him returning to MU are basically nil, but he certainly would be helpful.  We could use a center. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 11:36:54 AM »
Would prefer that he'd stay at MU..... always loved his attitude and dedication

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 11:38:01 AM »
Theo John wanting to be Duke's backup center is weird

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 11:42:15 AM »
Theo seems a fine kid and decent player but not going to lose sleep about him moving on.  It’s time to look toward the future and he’s not a part of the future.  Best of luck to him.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 11:44:41 AM »
Many have speculated - and it's feasible - Theo was planning on making $$$ next year, but with Covid the access to the international teams is difficult so seniors (all across the country) are choosing to use their "free" year instead.

edit:  And are you really transferring if you were never coming back?  I've thought that on the Koby and Cain threads too.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 11:51:38 AM by rocky_warrior »

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 11:45:39 AM »

To me, it makes a ton of sense. For a kid like Theo John to get to put on a Duke jersey, when overseas money making options are limited, makes so much sense. There is an undeniable allure to saying you played at one of the top 5 programs in the country. It could also make him more marketable in the future and gives him another year to heal up some old injuries.

I'd love to see him stay. I've never understood some of the negativity towards him. But, if he ends up at Duke, I think it would be great for him and would wish him the best.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 11:45:54 AM »

Wojo going back to Duke?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 11:46:01 AM »
International basketball is a mess due to covid.  Might as well play another year and show what you can do and have some fun instead of staying home.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 11:47:34 AM »
Good for him. He got a Marquette degree and is onto a different experience at a more prestigious school.

I'd certainly take a Masters from Duke
Maigh Eo for Sam

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 11:49:59 AM »
Not bashing anyone, but Theo was a Wojo guy. I was shocked Wojo tried to run the offense thru him last year as he was never a big scorer. Loved having Theo at MU and sad to see him go. Wish him all the best and great success.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2021, 11:54:26 AM »
I wouldn’t blame Theo one bit for wanting to play at Duke, even for a year.  Not a better college basketball atmosphere in the world on game day
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 11:55:41 AM »
I've always been a fan of Theo's.  From year 1 you saw a lot of potential and a player who was ready and willing to be coached and put the work in to get better.  And he has!    Sure he still had weaknesses, but he improved incredibly during these past 4 years.  I was sad to see he may put on another university's jersey, but I wish all the greatest success for him.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 12:02:00 PM »
From Theos perspective a no brainer to go to Duke.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2021, 12:07:25 PM »
This continues my belief that Marquette told all seniors there was no place for them on the team next year.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2021, 12:19:07 PM »
Where do you get he’s doing a 5th year at Duke?

I agree that isn’t really “transferring?”
We Are Marquette

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 12:21:23 PM »
This continues my belief that Marquette told all seniors there was no place for them on the team next year.

Maybe, but I also think those guys have been through a lot in their 4 years, and their perception of MU is going to be a lot different than the newcomers.  They had to listen to the same boos that Wojo did, and as everyone likes to say, they commit to a coach, not a school.  Playing for a new program won't be much different than playing for a new coach in Shaka, and they'll be able to go somewhere that won't have some of the same negative memories. 

I also believe that the COVID experience has worn a lot of players out, just as it has everyone in general.  Sure, they played last year, but the environment just wasn't the same.  Transferring for one final hurrah provides a little spark and excitement that they've been missing out on.  (I suspect that that feeling will extend to a lot of regular folks, too - once life begins to return to something close to normalcy, there's going to be a lot of people changing jobs). 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2021, 12:25:37 PM »

MU invested a lot of other people's money to upgrade the program, not create feel good stories for guys that missed out on their senior year. It is time to hit the refresh button and look straight ahead.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2021, 12:41:49 PM »

Except Marquette was one of the options for Cain after entering the portal.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2021, 12:45:43 PM »
Except Marquette was one of the options for Cain after entering the portal.

Says who?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2021, 12:47:08 PM »
Theo was a F'n Warrior for 4 years.  Put more into #mubb than anyone else associated with the program.  If he can suit up for freaking Duke and play a super senior year at Cameron Indoor, my God, run, do not walk, to that opportunity.  Hope it happens for him.  He'll always be a favorite of mine.  A true Warrior.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2021, 12:51:38 PM »
Theo was a F'n Warrior for 4 years.  Put more into #mubb than anyone else associated with the program.  If he can suit up for freaking Duke and play a super senior year at Cameron Indoor, my God, run, do not walk, to that opportunity.  Hope it happens for him.  He'll always be a favorite of mine.  A true Warrior.

My sentiments exactly.

Also, if Shaka wants him back and he wants to be at MU, I'd be very happy with that as well.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2021, 12:58:49 PM »
Yep.   Theo owes MU nothing.   He gave his all.    If Duke wants him, congratulations and try something new.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2021, 12:59:04 PM »

Cain and Theo were welcomed back by Wojo. Shaka left the door open for all three but didn't ask them to stay either.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2021, 01:02:31 PM »
I've always been a fan of Theo's.  From year 1 you saw a lot of potential and a player who was ready and willing to be coached and put the work in to get better.  And he has!    Sure he still had weaknesses, but he improved incredibly during these past 4 years.  I was sad to see he may put on another university's jersey, but I wish all the greatest success for him.

Agreed - was cool to see his FT shooting take a jump this year (along with a few surprise threes that looked totally natural), you could tell he put a ton of work in there

feedback