[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?  (Read 84851 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2021, 01:51:06 PM »
this was a terrible mistake...all lives matter and have a right to due process

approximately 100 cops have been killed on duty so far this year

And all 100 were tragedies. And all of those who committed murder, or aided and abetted it, should be charged and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

As should cops who kill unarmed people that posed no imminent threat.

See how easy that is, rocket?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2021, 01:54:06 PM »
This will follow a legal path to a previous similar situations in California where guns were employed rather than Tasers. Some of those cases were deemed 'voluntary' as officers purposefully reached for their sidearm. This, seemingly representing an error as evident from the audio, likely results in an involuntary manslaughter conviction and jail time.  That said, the victim (and I do mean victim) put himself at great risk when he chose to flee.  Mistrust of police, even if justified, is not a license to act rashly and dangerously, especially with tensions so high.  Most cops just want to go home to their families at the end of the day.  I have no doubt that's exactly what Officer Potter wanted.  Mr. Wright would have been wise to allow that to happen.  Both would be infinitely better off today.

I would never be a cop today.  Absolute no win situation ever.  The sad thing is that crime in underprivileged communities will continue to soar as departments stand down and law abiding Americans who desperately need police support will suffer terribly.

What we know is this officer acted "rashly and dangerously." According to her Minnesota statute charges, the officer created an unreasonable risk, consciously taking chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another.

It's not okay to shoot someone who is not a threat with a gun or taser. ...(all of this over expired tags and a gross misdemeanor warrant.)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2021, 02:02:23 PM »
What we know is this officer acted "rashly and dangerously." According to her Minnesota statute charges, the officer created an unreasonable risk, consciously taking chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another.

It's not okay to shoot someone who is not a threat with a gun or taser. ...(all of this over expired tags and a gross misdemeanor warrant.)

This is the problem.  Do we need to arrest people in our society for something as ridiculous as this?  The ENTIRE confrontation could have been avoided.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2021, 02:07:07 PM »

The sad thing is that crime in underprivileged communities will continue to soar as departments stand down and law abiding Americans who desperately need police support will suffer terribly.
One solution would be to take pour $ into those underprivileged communities - increase jobs, improve housing, improve education, etc. etc. Those actions would actually prevent crime

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2021, 02:07:23 PM »
  That said, the victim (and I do mean victim) put himself at great risk when he chose to flee.  Mistrust of police, even if justified, is not a license to act rashly and dangerously, especially with tensions so high.  Most cops just want to go home to their families at the end of the day.  I have no doubt that's exactly what Officer Potter wanted.  Mr. Wright would have been wise to allow that to happen.  Both would be infinitely better off today.

This is some pretty awful victim blaming here. Mr. Wright did absolutely nothing to prevent Officer Potter from going home to her family at the end of the day. It was her decision to use force against an unarmed and non-threatening individual, and it was her incompetence (at best) that led her to shoot him to death.
It's literally a violation of the Constitution (see Tennessee v. Garner) to use deadly force in this situation.

The sad thing is that crime in underprivileged communities will continue to soar as departments stand down and law abiding Americans who desperately need police support will suffer terribly.

More victim blaming.
"You see, underprivileged people, if you didn't complain so much about the police misconduct, cops would be around more often."
The suggestion that these communities need to accept poor policing in order to get any policing is gross.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2021, 02:10:04 PM »
This is some pretty awful victim blaming here. Mr. Wright did absolutely nothing to prevent Officer Potter from going home to her family at the end of the day. It was her decision to use force against an unarmed and non-threatening individual, and it was her incompetence (at best) that led her to shoot him to death.
It's literally a violation of the Constitution (see Tennessee v. Garner) to use deadly force in this situation.

More victim blaming.
"You see, underprivileged people, if you didn't complain so much about the police misconduct, cops would be around more often."
The suggestion that these communities need to accept poor policing in order to get any policing is gross.

We disagree.  I'll leave it at that. 

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2021, 02:10:49 PM »
WRT this present instance, it appears that between Potter and Wright only one will end up the beneficiary of that right to due process.
Brother jFlicke

I agree with you. But two wrongs do not make a right.

We owe it to ourselves to ensure due process. While we're at it, let's take a close look at police procedures and training so we get it right. Each time. Every time.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2021, 02:16:59 PM »
One solution would be to take pour $ into those underprivileged communities - increase jobs, improve housing, improve education, etc. etc. Those actions would actually prevent crime

Absolutely agree.

Jack Kemp had the right idea -- urban enterprise zones ("UEZs"). The program had tax abatement and incentives to create economic investment, jobs and opportunity in the poorest zip codes in America. The program was so badly watered down that the zip code 90210 somehow qualified as an UEZ. The other problem is making jobs net new jobs and not simply moving from one tossed-together facility to another.

Put some wraps around it and focus on America's poorest neighborhoods and something might get done.

In the meantime, it might be nice to look at our schools and wonder what's going wrong? I have some strong ideas, but I'm not a professional educator.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2021, 02:18:05 PM »
No protests, no riots, no looting, no calls for justice, black bystander celebrates as cop pumps 12 rounds into white perpetrator and of course no national press coverage and outrage. Just a cop doing his job.

https://en-volve.com/2021/02/09/thats-the-sht-i-like-to-see-blm-supporter-celebrates-as-he-films-cop-shoot-white-guy-12-times-graphic-video/

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2021, 02:18:17 PM »
Absolutely agree.

Jack Kemp had the right idea -- urban enterprise zones ("UEZs"). The program had tax abatement and incentives to create economic investment, jobs and opportunity in the poorest zip codes in America. The program was so badly watered down that the zip code 90210 somehow qualified as an UEZ. The other problem is making jobs net new jobs and not simply moving from one tossed-together facility to another.

Put some wraps around it and focus on America's poorest neighborhoods and something might get done.

In the meantime, it might be nice to look at our schools and wonder what's going wrong? I have some strong ideas, but I'm not a professional educator.

Pretty hard for kids to learn if we continue to destroy their home lives.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2021, 02:19:55 PM »
No protests, no riots, no looting, no calls for justice, black bystander celebrates as cop pumps 12 rounds into white perpetrator and of course no national press coverage and outrage. Just a cop doing his job.

https://en-volve.com/2021/02/09/thats-the-sht-i-like-to-see-blm-supporter-celebrates-as-he-films-cop-shoot-white-guy-12-times-graphic-video/

Just stop.  You don't understand, and clearly won't try to understand in good faith.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2021, 02:20:51 PM »
  seriously?  i hope you never need a cop dude!  liar?  i wish i was lying little man

https://www.odmp.org/search/year

As I said, you are a liar. Your own link shows that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2021, 02:49:29 PM »

How is this even comparable? The guy who was shot here was beating the cop with a piece of wood.

By the way, if this is where you get your news, it certainly explains a lot.
Other headlines:
"BOMBSHELL: ‘Voter Fraud Expert’ Says He Was Bribed $10 MILLION To Stay Quiet About 2020"

"Former Pfizer VP Sounds Alarm: COVID-19 Vaccine Campaign “Madness” That May Be Used For “Massive-Scale Depopulation”"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2021, 02:51:16 PM »
How is this even comparable? The guy who was shot here was beating the cop with a piece of wood.

Other headlines:
"BOMBSHELL: ‘Voter Fraud Expert’ Says He Was Bribed $10 MILLION To Stay Quiet About 2020"

"Former Pfizer VP Sounds Alarm: COVID-19 Vaccine Campaign “Madness” That May Be Used For “Massive-Scale Depopulation”"

I just don't see the issues with the mentioned stories. Clearly they're breaking news the MSM won't!
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2021, 03:00:57 PM »

Ridiculous, as usual.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2021, 03:07:28 PM »

Other headlines:

Absolutely depressing when people fall down these rabbit holes and can't see their way out of them.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2021, 03:20:20 PM »
Absolutely depressing when people fall down these rabbit holes and can't see their way out of them.
I don't disagree.  But it's also depressing that this incident is immediately seen as a result of racism rather than because the officer F-d up, with no proof of racism.  It may be that  the officer was a complete racist.  But perhaps that issue should play out before the immediate cry of "racist cop".
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2021, 03:27:29 PM »
I don't disagree.  But it's also depressing that this incident is immediately seen as a result of racism rather than because the officer F-d up, with no proof of racism.  It may be that  the officer was a complete racist.  But perhaps that issue should play out before the immediate cry of "racist cop".

Daunte Wright was absolutely pulled over because he was black.  That is a product of a racist police system.

Do I think that the officer who fired the shot killed him because she is racist?  No.  It was an accident.  But she is an officer of the law and should be held to the highest standard.  Accidentally killing someone is still killing someone.  Which is why there is a manslaughter charge.  But the underlying reason for his death was the systemic racism of the criminal justice system.  This is an open and shut case of over policing.  He was pulled over for an expired plate and an air freshener hanging from his mirror.  Aka driving while Black.  It was an excuse to search him and his vehicle, and it escalated for no reason.  And now the man is dead.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2021, 03:30:32 PM »
Daunte Wright was absolutely pulled over because he was black.  That is a product of a racist police system.

Do I think that the officer who fired the shot killed him because she is racist?  No.  It was an accident.  But she is an officer of the law and should be held to the highest standard.  Accidentally killing someone is still killing someone.  Which is why there is a manslaughter charge.  But the underlying reason for his death was the systemic racism of the criminal justice system.  This is an open and shut case of over policing.  He was pulled over for an expired plate and an air freshener hanging from his mirror.  Aka driving while Black.  It was an excuse to search him and his vehicle, and it escalated for no reason.  And now the man is dead.

You get it.
The cop doesn't need to be wearing a white hood or screaming the 'N' word for this to be a result of racism.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2021, 03:35:56 PM »
You get it.
The cop doesn't need to be wearing a white hood or screaming the 'N' word for this to be a result of racism.

I think this is a useful distinction. It's not necessarily that the officer was acting with malicious racism aforethought, but the chain of events that led to the circumstance where her negligent discharge took Wright's life was inherently affected by racism.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2021, 03:40:03 PM »
I think this is a useful distinction. It's not necessarily that the officer was acting with malicious racism aforethought, but the chain of events that led to the circumstance where her negligent discharge took Wright's life was inherently affected by racism.

It’s an interesting distinction and one that gets muddled a lot lately.  Which doesn’t help things.  Just as one should not be able to excuse away furthering or complicity in things that are based in systemic racism by saying they weren’t being purposefully racist, those same people shouldn’t be slathered with the same brush as malicious and aggressive racists committing hate crimes.   There is nuance that is lost by a ton of people across the board, which is truly unfortunate

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2021, 03:58:15 PM »

I couldn't agree more about the officer being held to the highest standard.  I couldn't agree more that Wright should not have been shot and that death should never be an outcome in this situation.  I couldn't agree more that the officer will and should face charges for manslaughter.

I've been pulled over for having expired plates.  Using your logic, there was no reason for me to have been pulled over though because I'm not black.  I got ticketed.  I showed up in court and got it dismissed.  Wright could have done the same (maybe not the dismissal part-I'm a lawyer).   And once again, I agree that Wright's death is not acceptable!  But everything doesn't always have to be a race issue.  Someone can just plain F up.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2021, 04:00:08 PM »
As I said, you are a liar. Your own link shows that.

yo jackwagon-the link says "honoring officers KILLED in 2021" !!!

total LINE OF DUTY DEATHS- 97

what are you?  Baghdad bob? and that was putting it politely 
don't...don't don't don't don't

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2021, 04:17:10 PM »
I couldn't agree more about the officer being held to the highest standard.  I couldn't agree more that Wright should not have been shot and that death should never be an outcome in this situation.  I couldn't agree more that the officer will and should face charges for manslaughter.

I've been pulled over for having expired plates.  Using your logic, there was no reason for me to have been pulled over though because I'm not black.  I got ticketed.  I showed up in court and got it dismissed.  Wright could have done the same (maybe not the dismissal part-I'm a lawyer).   And once again, I agree that Wright's death is not acceptable!  But everything doesn't always have to be a race issue.  Someone can just plain F up.

I'd be cool if nobody ever got pulled over for expired plates under any circumstances ever again. Cops say they fear stops, people fear being stopped, things can go wrong, people can die. Mail the ticket.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2021, 04:26:42 PM »

You misunderstand.  I think there is no reason to pull either of you over.  What is the point?  A friendly reminder?  It's over policing.  It doesn't need to happen.  What net positive can occur from that interaction?  You got pulled over, but if you're Black in the USA you get pulled over more frequently for the same thing.  Furthermore, you mentioned that you got a ticket.  Meanwhile, if you were Black, you'd have a higher chance of having force used against you.  That is the systemic racism that I'm talking about.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jan/02/california-police-black-stops-force

Black people in California were stopped by police officers much more frequently than other racial groups in 2018, and police were more likely to use force against them, new statistics from eight large law enforcement agencies in the state reveal.

https://www.nyu.edu/about/news-publications/news/2020/may/black-drivers-more-likely-to-be-stopped-by-police.html

A new study, undertaken by Ravi Shroff, an assistant professor holding joint appointments at NYU Steinhardt and NYU CUSP, and his colleagues at the Stanford Open Policing Project, found that in a dataset of nearly 100 million traffic stops across the United States, black drivers were about 20 percent more likely to be stopped than white drivers relative to their share of the residential population.

This is unequivocally a race issue that we need to do a better job with in our country. 

feedback