'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Looking for question suggestions for interview with UCLA's best player in 1962  (Read 2647 times)

Eye

• All American
Have the opportunity to interview John Green tomorrow, who was UCLA's best player in 1962, or the class right before Goodrich and Hazzard that started UCLA's 10-in-12 streak. Besides the basic biographical and related questions, topics written down to discuss include Wooden, Jabbar, Walton, Denny Crum, Sam Gilbert, and whether he happened to be at the games at the Astrodome with Houston and at Notre Dame in 74. If anyone else has any questions they think would be good, happy to consider them.
GO WARRIORS!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Very cool.  John Wooden went over a decade at UCLA with mediocre to decent results before the program took off.  Could you ask him what he thinks may have changed?  Was it just better players or did he change as a coach in some way?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Cool opportunity.

I'd be interested to hear about the recruiting process, both for himself, and what he saw for the greats that followed. We know a good player on a major team would likely have a bunch of offers today, and stars like Goodrich and Hazzard would have dozens, but I'd love to hear how and why he ended up at UCLA back then.

Eye

• All American
Thanks gentlemen. Will add to list. Taking some cuts for a radio sportscast that'll air Saturday in Western Wisconsin, but planning to post entire interview with Sound Cloud.
GO WARRIORS!

MUEng92

• All American
“Do you remember Lew Alcindor when he was at UCLA?  That was awesome”. Sorry, couldn’t resist...

Eye

• All American
Never an issue with me quoting Mr. Farley.
GO WARRIORS!

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
Does he ever  think of Coach Wooden when he puts on a pair of socks or ties his shoes?

Apparently Wooden was so focused on details, that even the manner in which socks were put on was considered part of the formula for winning.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Eye

• All American
That's already on the list. The guy who helped set this up for me - his mom was good friends with Mr. Green in HS, and that's the 1st story he mentioned that I need to ask him.
GO WARRIORS!

4everwarriors

• All American
I had an opportunity to meet and converse with Coach Wooden in the lobby of the Peachtree Center Plaza in ATL at the Final Four in 1977. It was honestly like meeting the Wizard of Oz, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
I had an opportunity to meet and converse with Coach Wooden in the lobby of the Peachtree Center Plaza in ATL at the Final Four in 1977. It was honestly like meeting the Wizard of Oz, hey?

Cause he was controlled by someone else behind the curtain?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
Cause he was controlled by someone else behind the curtain?

It wuz John Wooden, knot Joe Biden, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American

I LOLed.

Eye

• All American
Fantastic interview. Will share link to full interview on Sound Cloud and some other highlights when get a shot in the coming days.
GO WARRIORS!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.

Or Ronnie Reagan?

Eye

• All American
Here's a link to the full 50-minute interview with Mr Green from a few days ago.

https://soundcloud.com/user-904582055-461918833/john-green-interviewmp3

If he didn't bring it up, tried to include the suggestion questions that were posted here.

From before we started and after we finished recording:

John said Rupp was not against having black players on his roster, but did not want to go against an SEC coaches gentlemen's agreement against having black players.
Said while he really wanted Crum to stick around a few more years to replace Wooden when he retired, but also said he knew very early on after meeting Crum that Crum knew way too much about basketball to stay an assistant any longer than when the first good head coaching job came along (much more on Crum about 5 minutes in)
On the Final 4 game with Cincinnati - down at 18 at one point in the first half, but came back to tie at the half. Tied and had the ball with 10 seconds left, but were victim of what he said was a bad charging call against Hazzard. Cincy then had a guy whose only two points in game came on a bucket with 3 seconds left. Said UCLA did not get a shot off after that.
Played eventual NC2A runner-up Ohio State that year in the regular season at UCLA - lost by about 20. That Ohio State team include Lucas, Havlicek and Knight. Guarded Havlicek in that game. Then guarded West in practice after drafted by the Lakers in the 62 NBA Draft. Said West was the tougher guy to guard and the better player.
Said he's extremely impressed by and that Few is a fantastic coach.

One last thing - he perked up when I mentioned MU is hosting UCLA next year. Less than a 3 1/2 drive from his home to MU. Any suggestions on who I might want to contact in the MU athletic department about getting him and someone to drive with him tickets to that game?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 08:52:33 AM by Eye »
GO WARRIORS!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Any suggestions on who I might want to contact in the MU athletic department about getting him and someone to drive with him tickets to that game?

Contact the AD at UCLA, they should be able to hook him up with seats behind their bench

feedback