[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka or Woodson?  (Read 8692 times)

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
Re: Shaka or Woodson?
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2021, 11:23:18 PM »
I heard it was George Soros that made the donation.  At least that's what I heard

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2021, 11:29:50 PM »
Passing on a third-hand rumor when private individuals are involved is not being "nice".  There are reasons why people donate anonymously.  If the school doesn't publicize a donation of that size,   it is better to assume that there is a reason for it.  And you don't even know if it is indeed true or not.
If it was anonymous why would someone have known in the first place and why would they have told me. No one said it was private and no one told me not to say anything. Said was not sure if it was true or not. We are not talking COVID or anything like that. We are talking about something most all of people on here seem to approve of. I try to treat others like I would like others to treat me. I would like if someone gave me credit. But someone told this person and this person told me. With no mention of anything being private. And I said did not know if it was true and maybe it is not. Agree the Blue and Gold Fund had an awesome week.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 11:32:12 PM by MarquetteMike1977 »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2021, 06:23:00 AM »
If it was anonymous why would someone have known in the first place and why would they have told me. No one said it was private and no one told me not to say anything. Said was not sure if it was true or not. We are not talking COVID or anything like that. We are talking about something most all of people on here seem to approve of. I try to treat others like I would like others to treat me. I would like if someone gave me credit. But someone told this person and this person told me. With no mention of anything being private. And I said did not know if it was true and maybe it is not. Agree the Blue and Gold Fund had an awesome week.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2021, 06:27:26 AM »

If they told someone in confidence or that person shared something in confidence that wasn't meant to be aired publicly, that's a thing that happens all the time.

I'm with chick on this. Attaching names to donations should only be done when it's out there publicly. Especially if you can't verify that it's even true.

People do things all the time where they don't need or even want credit. This feels like one of those things.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2021, 06:32:37 AM »
Someone told me this tonight. If it was meant to be Private.I do not think someone would of told me. This is MU Scoop which has anonymous qualities to it. Hanging at the AL.

A couple things. First, if they did want it to be private, and they trusted you had the discretion to understand that, I'm guessing they won't tell you anything private again in the future.

Second, just because many users are anonymous on this site doesn't mean the information posted here remains anonymous once you put it up. You don't seem to know how "anonymous" works.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

panda

• All American

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2021, 07:51:53 AM »
There's also different levels of anonymity.  There's the "don't tell anyone about this" level.  And the "just don't do an announcement" level.  Either way announcing it on a message board isn't wise but likely pretty harmless.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2021, 08:10:04 AM »
There's also different levels of anonymity.  There's the "don't tell anyone about this" level.  And the "just don't do an announcement" level.  Either way announcing it on a message board isn't wise but likely pretty harmless.

Also there are different ways of giving. Donations to the Blue & Gold fund are for scholarships, not Wojo's retirement fund. Then there are donations to the university that can be directed to the Athletics Department. The previously mentioned big donations can be for different reasons as both have real needs.

In any regard, thank you to the donors, both big and small. Let's move on to the next chapter.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2021, 10:26:15 AM »
Scholls move looking better all the time.

Looks like IU is trying to replicate Howard/Martelli with Woodson/Matta. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2021, 11:00:52 AM »

Why wouldn’t they just hire Matta?  He’s young enough that I assume he’d still want to be head coach.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2021, 11:07:28 AM »
Why wouldn’t they just hire Matta?  He’s young enough that I assume he’d still want to be head coach.

My guess is he wants to dip his toes in the water before jumping into a head job again. Mark Titus said as much in Twitter.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2021, 11:12:03 AM »

I'm curious to see what IU has in mind and how they intend to use Matta. If, as has been reported, Matta is going to be an Associate AD, there will be a lot of restrictions on what he can do for the basketball program. He won't be able to be involved in off-campus recruiting, and I don't think he'll be able to be involved in coaching athletes either at practice or in games. This is very different than Martelli who is an Associate Head Coach and can be involved in all of that (and actually finished a game recently when Howard was ejected). If Matta is an AD, his role will be extremely different than the role it appears Martelli is filling at Michigan.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2021, 11:15:00 AM »
My guess is he wants to dip his toes in the water before jumping into a head job again. Mark Titus said as much in Twitter.

I wonder if this is a way to keep Matta on ice (and on the payroll) until he's ready to be the HC. Is Woodson -- as a good IU "company man" -- willing to be an interim HC without the formal "interim" designation.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2021, 11:22:19 AM »
I wonder if this is a way to keep Matta on ice (and on the payroll) until he's ready to be the HC. Is Woodson -- as a good IU "company man" -- willing to be an interim HC without the formal "interim" designation.
I know you are just spit balling some thoughts but if true, IU is really lost. Traditional 'coaches in waiting' have not worked out and this would take it to a new level. Woodson leaving an NBA gig to be a 'place holder' seems bazar. I'm not an IU fan but they seem like a good program and I hope this is not 'the plan'.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2021, 11:24:02 AM »
Woodson is 63. Will he be able to keep up w/ the recruiting process having never done it before? He better get some experienced assistants.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2021, 11:24:36 AM »
Are they trying to tell us that Woodson is this unqualified that Matta will hire the assistants and do the recruiting??

IU basketball names Mike Woodson new head coach; Thad Matta will serve as associate AD
https://www.elevenwarriors.com/college-basketball/2021/03/121961/thad-matta-hired-by-indiana-as-associate-athletic-director-for-mens-basketball-administration

He'll help newly named head coach Mike Woodson put together his coaching staff, Gregg Doyel reported, and will "handle off-campus duties" with a primary focus on recruiting.

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2021, 11:29:21 AM »
I actually think this is about Matta wanting to be involved in the IU program from a strategic point of view, but is not up for the rigors of being the head coach.

Not "unqualified" but "inexperienced."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2021, 11:31:22 AM »
Passing on a third-hand rumor when private individuals are involved is not being "nice".  There are reasons why people donate anonymously.  If the school doesn't publicize a donation of that size,   it is better to assume that there is a reason for it.  And you don't even know if it is indeed true or not.
The hall monitor at it again.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2021, 11:31:47 AM »
Are they trying to tell us that Woodson is this unqualified that Matta will hire the assistants and do the recruiting??

IU basketball names Mike Woodson new head coach; Thad Matta will serve as associate AD
https://www.elevenwarriors.com/college-basketball/2021/03/121961/thad-matta-hired-by-indiana-as-associate-athletic-director-for-mens-basketball-administration

He'll help newly named head coach Mike Woodson put together his coaching staff, Gregg Doyel reported, and will "handle off-campus duties" with a primary focus on recruiting.

I wonder if that’s setting a recruiting schedule and coordinating where assistants go. Letting Woodson know what  the major AAU tournaments are that his staff should be at. I wouldn’t expect Woodson to know much about that stuff.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2021, 11:36:59 AM »
I wonder if that’s setting a recruiting schedule and coordinating where assistants go. Letting Woodson know what  the major AAU tournaments are that his staff should be at. I wouldn’t expect Woodson to know much about that stuff.

Can anyone site an example of this before ... where an AD (head AD or Associate AD) had this much control over the head coach?

Seems to me this is the kind of arrangement that ends in disaster.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2021, 11:41:56 AM »
Can anyone site an example of this before ... where an AD (head AD or Associate AD) had this much control over the head coach?

Seems to me this is the kind of arrangement that ends in disaster.

It could.  Or maybe this is about taking a "professional model," where the coach and GM are separate individuals, versus the all in one that college has now.

Or maybe it will be a disaster.  Time will tell.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2021, 12:38:24 PM »
So IU essentially hired a GM. Idk I think it’s kind of weird.
No Finish Line

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2021, 01:50:04 PM »

It could.  Or maybe this is about taking a "professional model," where the coach and GM are separate individuals, versus the all in one that college has now.

Or maybe it will be a disaster.  Time will tell.

This is how I'm looking at it.  Let the coach do the coaching.  Let the recruiter put the pieces in place for the coach, and they can collaboratively work on who they want and the system.  It removes a lot of stress from being put on one person.  If it works, I'd expect this to happen throughout the major p6 conferences.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2021, 02:04:05 PM »
This is how I'm looking at it.  Let the coach do the coaching.  Let the recruiter put the pieces in place for the coach, and they can collaboratively work on who they want and the system.  It removes a lot of stress from being put on one person.  If it works, I'd expect this to happen throughout the major p6 conferences.

A problem with this model could be that the person in Matta’s role — assuming in the AD’s office — can’t recruit.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2021, 02:11:54 PM »
It was told to many people in a group I was at. It was not told in private. There was no mention of anything private.

feedback