Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Things You've Been Wrong About  (Read 9698 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Things You've Been Wrong About
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2021, 09:02:08 AM »
I've made my share of bad predictions over the years.

I thought Chartouney was the missing link we needed

I didn't think he would be a "difference maker" or whatever word was used to describe him, but I thought Froling would be a lot better than he was

In my younger days I called for Buzz to be fired after losing a late lead to Georgetown. We earned a 6 seed that year IIRC

In the days leading up to Hausergate I described the riff between Wojo/Markus and the Hausers as "making a mountain out of a molehill"

I thought Markus would get drafted

I thought Danny Manning was a good candidate for our job back in 2014

In my really younger days I thought margarine was superior to butter

I pronounced queue as quay until college

I described Bouknight and Nate Waston as overrated prior to the start of this season

If you're ever in Galway, ireland, find The Quays (pronounced as Keys) Pub. Also recommend what we affectionately called The Quays after Dark next door. 👍

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2021, 09:07:26 AM »
  • I thought the step up to the Big East would be too much coming off those NIT berths and expected us to generally be a bottom half team in 2005.
  • I thought Buzz would stick here.
  • I thought Henry Ellenson would stick in the NBA as a poor man's Kevin Love.
  • I thought Joe Chartouny would be the missing link to unlock our 2019 potential.
  • I thought Wojo would be here in 2021-22, even as I was writing my parts of the Case Against article.
  • I thought Goodman was drunk when the first name out of his mouth was Shaka after our job opened. I felt like him and Oats (the second name) were unattainable dreams.
There's so much more...just ask my wife.

Chartouny ... ugh. I was wrong about him, too. I didn't think he'd be a star or anything, but a solid contributor. He did play a huge role in that Creighton win, though. We almost surely don't win that game if he didn't miss a wide-open layup, get his own rebound and score. Because of the miss, there was so little time left that it created the havoc that led to the botched inbound play by CU, the great pass by Markus, the incredible shot by Sam, and Markus going all Video Game Markus in OT. So at least Chartouny gave us that!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PhillyWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2021, 09:09:48 AM »
I thought at one time Dodd’s board had actual good MU information and he was not a shrill for the administration.

Ding Ding Ding winner winner... you know the rest

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2021, 09:24:25 AM »
I firmly believed that Wojo would figure out how to work Henry Ellenson into a competent offense. I felt that despite the awkward start with a ton of hero ball with Henry in 2015, that and we would be a force to be reckoned with in the 2nd half of the season once everything started clicking. I was wrong, and that was the last year that I watched every MU game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2021, 09:38:27 AM »
I firmly believed that Wojo would figure out how to work Henry Ellenson into a competent offense. I felt that despite the awkward start with a ton of hero ball with Henry in 2015, that and we would be a force to be reckoned with in the 2nd half of the season once everything started clicking. I was wrong, and that was the last year that I watched every MU game.

You missed some very entertaining basketball in 2016-17 and 2018-19.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2021, 10:05:55 AM »
I was wrong to think this thread belongs in the Superbar.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2021, 11:02:58 AM »
My wife has a list...

My ex-wife is writing a book.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2021, 11:05:24 AM »
You missed some very entertaining basketball in 2016-17 and 2018-19.
Some people don’t get off to historically high usage rates and black-hole-ball.

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2021, 11:05:35 AM »
If you're ever in Galway, ireland, find The Quays (pronounced as Keys) Pub. Also recommend what we affectionately called The Quays after Dark next door. 👍

The Quays to check out shop street, Monroe's for a pint because it always smells like pizza in there so grab a bite, the Crane for best live music.

Knock those 3 out for a great mini tour of Galway.
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2021, 11:06:40 AM »
My wife has a list...

My ex-wife is writing a book.

You were wrong to think getting married a 2nd time was a good idea.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2021, 11:53:20 AM »
You were wrong to think getting married a 2nd time was a good idea.

First for love, 2nd for a trophy, aina?

PhillyWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2021, 01:31:55 PM »
Thought I'd learn something/anything reading Dodds stuff

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2021, 02:07:46 PM »
Some people don’t get off to historically high usage rates and black-hole-ball.

So you were that guy who was still bitching when we were beating Nova, after Sam hit the shot against Creighton and when we were 15+ games into our 20-2 streak. Must be sad to not be able to enjoy fun things.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2021, 02:18:49 PM »
So you were that guy who was still bitching when we were beating Nova, after Sam hit the shot against Creighton and when we were 15+ games into our 20-2 streak. Must be sad to not be able to enjoy fun things.
I mean we won for a brief 1-2 month period which, admittedly, was exciting for a brief 1-2 month period. But it was by no means “entertaining basketball” for either of those seasons to watch historically high usage as you originally said. Or really any Wojo season. But, no need to relitigate. It’s over, he was a poor coach, results were poor, he was fired. I can move on if you can.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2021, 02:21:49 PM »
I was wrong about Walter Downing.  I thought he’d give us enough to return to the big dance.  First transfer that I was ecstatic about.  Instead he played in two NIT tournaments wearing a MU uniform. 
Ludum habemus.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2021, 02:34:21 PM »
I mean we won for a brief 1-2 month period which, admittedly, was exciting for a brief 1-2 month period. But it was by no means “entertaining basketball” for either of those seasons to watch historically high usage as you originally said. Or really any Wojo season. But, no need to relitigate. It’s over, he was a poor coach, results were poor, he was fired. I can move on if you can.

I said: "You missed some very entertaining basketball in 2016-17 and 2018-19" ... and I wasn't even talking to you. But you couldn't resist going back on the attack. What's funny is that in this post of yours, you actually admitted being excited by it.

And you know what? It's OK to admit that you enjoyed it when we were winning 20 of 22 games to move into the Top 10. It's OK to only rip Wojo 99% of the time. If you don't go on the attack 100% of the time, nobody will confuse you with a Projo, I promise.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2021, 03:17:15 PM »
Sir

I was a big time Sir Walter fan and he never panned out. Great guy, but I was 100% wrong on him as well.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2021, 11:13:48 PM »
In 2001 I predicted that the Big 10 would win a National Championship sometime in the 21st century.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2021, 12:24:54 AM »
I can't think of many hot takes I've had. Right or Wrong.

I'll get one going for the future though.

In 3 years, only the most irrational of fans will not be on board with Shaka leading MU. By year 5 we will have legitimate proven results. Second weekend tourney success, BE success, BE tourney success. Perennial top 3 team in the league.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2021, 07:23:27 AM »
I don't remember the exact date, but sometime around January 2020, I told my daughter, "there's one of these new viruses every few years...everyone gets all worked up, but they never really amount to anything...don't worry about it."
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.