collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Barry Alvarez retiring  (Read 1721 times)

Badgerhater

• All American

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Barry Alvarez retiring
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 11:26:26 AM »
Pat Richter deserves a ton of credit too.

Going to be interesting to see how that search plays out. Yeah they have been grooming McIntosh but there are other alternatives. Shawn Eichorst (Marquette alum, former Nebraska AD and assistant at UW) being one of them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 11:34:42 AM »
Bucky was horrible at everything before him.  https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2021/03/27/wisconsin-athletic-directory-barry-alvarez-expected-announce-retirement/7028183002/

It was Richter and Donna Shalala who started the turnaround. Shalala hired Richter and told him to build a program. He hired Jackson and Bennett, as well as Barry. His hire of Bo took Bucky hoops to another level. He doesn’t get the credit he deserves.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 11:51:03 AM »
Donna Shalala

One of my very favorite politicians. She made me proud to be an American.

Death on call

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 08:50:20 AM »
The avians of Madison are chirping with glee that the Alvarez flock is migrating to warmer climes.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 10:26:30 AM »
The avians of Madison are chirping with glee that the Alvarez flock is migrating to warmer climes.

Wisconsin athletics is an oddity.  I think there is a segment of the population that thinks Barry walks on water, and a growing segment that is glad for what he and Donna did for the school, but can't wait for Barry to retire and move the school into the 21st century. 

Barry retiring is a long time coming, and many people breathing a lot easier.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 10:27:59 AM »
He’s probably still available to coach a bowl game for a nominal fee.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 10:36:11 AM »
The athletic department at UW is full of UW and Madison folks too.  It could be tough for an outside hire with no previous exposure there. This isn't necessarily a criticism because they have been extraordinarily successful for a generation now, but an outsider could have a tough go.  And it makes perfect sense why they would lean toward someone from the inside.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 12:02:44 PM »
I hope whoever replaces Alvarez brings baseball back.  It's an embarrassment to them to be the only Big14Ten school to not have a baseball team.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 03:15:13 PM »
I hope whoever replaces Alvarez brings baseball back.  It's an embarrassment to them to be the only Big14Ten school to not have a baseball team.

Why though? Baseball is a warm weather sport.  In the last 10 CWS, across 80 teams...4 have been north of the Mason Dixon line.  Michigan made it in 2019 and it was their first CWS appearance in 35 years.  And that’s the most successful program in the B10.  Illinois is the second best and they’ve never made a CWS and only won their regional once.  Same with Minnesota, who only won a regional once recently and hasn’t made a CWS since the 70s.  Wisconsin hadn’t even won a B10 title for 40 years when they disbanded the program.

Even in more successful baseball conferences, like the ACC, colder weather teams like BC and Pitt get pounded.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 03:51:33 PM »
Yeah UW doesn't need a baseball team.  It's done just fine for 30 years without one.  Would also cause a Title IX issue.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 04:02:52 PM »
Title IX is not an issue.

University of Wisconsin - Madison competes in 22 sports and has a total of 1003 student athletes: 465 men and 538 women.

Source:  https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/university-of-wisconsin-madison/student-life/sports/#:~:text=University%20of%20Wisconsin%20%2D%20Madison%20competes%20in%2022%20sports%20and%20has,465%20men%20and%20538%20women.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2021, 04:25:08 PM »
While those numbers show a lot more women, it's the # of scholarships regarding Title IX isn't it?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2021, 04:25:47 PM »
While those numbers show a lot more women, it's the # of scholarships regarding Title IX isn't it?

Its both.  And facilities.  But that's good data.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2021, 06:18:04 PM »
Barry did an excellent job for The Badgers Athletic Department as a whole. 

I think the timing for his retirement is good . He can leave with the Athletic Department in very good shape. Let someone else deal with the complexities of running a Big Ten sports program.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire