Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What does Shaka need to accomplish in 5 years to avoid you getting on the Nah-ka wagon?

Wojo+:  3/5 NCAAT, >.500 conference, better advanced metrics/recruiting
6 (4.3%)
Wojo++: The above but with at least one NCAAT win
20 (14.2%)
Buzz-:  The above but with at least one S16 OR BE tourney title or BE regular title
67 (47.5%)
Buzz: The above with multiple S16 runs, consistently (3/5) T3 BE
29 (20.6%)
Crean: Less consistent than above but with a FF or better
1 (0.7%)
Jayish:  Buzz with at least one FF run
5 (3.5%)
Al: Natty or bust
6 (4.3%)
Other
2 (1.4%)
Arby's
5 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 141

Author Topic: Shaka's Bar: 5 Year Yah-ka expectations  (Read 6353 times)

1SE

• All American
Shaka's Bar: 5 Year Yah-ka expectations
« on: March 27, 2021, 02:50:55 AM »
Go on record now. What bar would Shaka need to fall short of for you to be on the Nah-ka wagon in 5 years (Patience FFS)?

The permutations of different success are pretty huge, but I've tried to capture different "levels" of success. Add your own different criteria below.

For me, in 5 years, we need to be Buzz- at least - otherwise we're going to be almost 15 years without notable post-season success. That would be unacceptable.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

WarriorFan

• All American
Re: Shaka's Bar: 5 Year Yah-ka expectations
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 04:09:13 AM »
My expectations for MU basketball have never changed:
- almost always in the top 25
- Always in the NCAA tournament
- 1-2 wins in NCAA tournament each year, with occasional "better" runs
- Win the Big East tournament when it's your only chance to get in the big dance
- Clean program
- fun to watch
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 04:17:58 AM »
Right now I would settle with just putting a team out there that knows fundamental basketball with a winning attitude.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 05:46:34 AM »
Scholl said it best...make the NCAA most years and occasionally make a run...be in the top half of the BEAST...have a clean program.   

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 06:13:46 AM »
Right now I would settle with just putting a team out there that knows fundamental basketball with a winning attitude.
This is how I feel.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 06:24:31 AM »
- Win the Big East tournament when it's your only chance to get in the big dance
- Clean program
- fun to watch
Pretty good expectations, possibly a bit higher
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 07:42:01 AM »

Yep. I did not vote- it's too soon and we need to see who Shaka has and what he plans to do, but you are spot on. Get the bleepin' fundamentals down and play with confidence based upon an actual plan, not just trying to figure it out while on court. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 07:43:35 AM »
Natty or bust
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 07:56:35 AM »
- NCAA most years with NIT on the off year: shows there is a quality product on the floor but gives room for young team/injuries/odd slump
- occasional deep run: allows for the 'crap shoot' aspect of the tourney (but whoo-boy if we get bounced the first game he's in the tourney with us this joint is gonna be LIT)
- top half of the BEast mixed with a heavy dose of top 3: we only have 3 conference championships in 30 years (1:15 in BE) so I think competing every year is a stretch
- 1 'magical' run every 8-10 years: FF or lose a heartbreaker in E8
- clean program: listed last because it is a given

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 08:18:31 AM »
My expectations:

1. That nobody on here ever has to show the Kenpom rankings to build a case on why we are a bubble team or if we win 4 of the last five we can be a six seed.
2. The "What are ranked on Monday?" thread is on the first page of scoop every week of the Shaka era.
3. That we are favored the first two NCAA games far more times than we are not.
4. If I cannot use tickets to a game, that there actually are people that would like to use them, even on a cold Tuesday night against DePaul.
5. That Marquette University benefits to the full extent on what being a basketball school can bring to the table.
6. The Meat Summits are spent talking current state of the program vs. what happened nearly a half century ago.
7. Lastly, and high on my list, that everyone here knows when the team/program passes the eye test. When a team/program is playing at a high level all you have to do is watch the game to know how they stack up. Prime example is DWade. No one needed computer stats to know he was the best of all time at a high level basketball school.

For a wish item, I hope that Shaka can be a great influence and leader for the city of MKE. MKE needs help and Shaka/MU can be great role models to help bring the city to a better place.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 08:24:17 AM »
- NCAA most years with NIT on the off year: shows there is a quality product on the floor but gives room for young team/injuries/odd slump
- occasional deep run: allows for the 'crap shoot' aspect of the tourney (but whoo-boy if we get bounced the first game he's in the tourney with us this joint is gonna be LIT)
- top half of the BEast mixed with a heavy dose of top 3: we only have 3 conference championships in 30 years (1:15 in BE) so I think competing every year is a stretch
- 1 'magical' run every 8-10 years: FF or lose a heartbreaker in E8
- clean program: listed last because it is a given

👏👏realistic and solid list!!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 08:24:42 AM »
Come on. We are Marquette.

Every year participant in the NCAA is a minimum standard.
Contender for the Big East regular season title.
Win the Big East tournament.
Consistently in the Top 10.
Destroy the rodent every year.
Kick ass and take no prisoners on the floor (and laugh while we do it).
A natty or two.

A couple of other things would be nice, like never losing at home and packing the computing castle.

That is the standard that makes Marquette who we are. Anything else does not matter.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 08:28:52 AM by dgies9156 »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2021, 08:30:47 AM »
Come on. We are Marquette.

Every year participant in the NCAA is a minimum standard.
Contender for the Big East regular season title.
Win the Big East tournament.
Consistently in the Top 10.
Destroy the rodent every year.
Kick ass and take no prisoners on the floor (and laugh while we do it).
A natty or two.

A couple of other things would be nice, like never losing at home and packing the computing castle.

That is the standard that makes Marquette who we are. Anything else does not matter.
This is even better, and one that we must aspire to. Is not this why Shaka Kahn was hired? Great aspirations.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2021, 08:47:42 AM »
My expectations:

1. That nobody on here ever has to show the Kenpom rankings to build a case on why we are a bubble team or if we win 4 of the last five we can be a six seed.
2. The "What are ranked on Monday?" thread is on the first page of scoop every week of the Shaka era.
4. If I cannot use tickets to a game, that there actually are people that would like to use them, even on a cold Tuesday night against DePaul.
5. That Marquette University benefits to the full extent on what being a basketball school can bring to the table.
6. The Meat Summits are spent talking current state of the program vs. what happened nearly a half century ago.
7. Lastly, and high on my list, that everyone here knows when the team/program passes the eye test. When a team/program is playing at a high level all you have to do is watch the game to know how they stack up. Prime example is DWade. No one needed computer stats to know he was the best of all time at a high level basketball school.

For a wish item, I hope that Shaka can be a great influence and leader for the city of MKE. MKE needs help and Shaka/MU can be great role models to help bring the city to a better place.

I like that as a program barometer.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2021, 08:49:54 AM »
My expectations:

Love this list, Goose.

And I'll take those DePaul tickets! Thanks in advance!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2021, 08:51:48 AM »
Beat ND and UW more often and not.

Put an emphasis on continuing the restart of the ND series
Maigh Eo for Sam

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2021, 08:52:16 AM »

You are banned from my tickets for year one due to promoting a fifth year for Theo.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2021, 08:54:01 AM »
I posted this in another thread but I’ve already made bets with some friends that we’ll make the final 4 in the first 5 years. I like my chances

Expectations are that we make the tournament every year and we make the second weekend or beyond every couple of years. I think that’s very realistic. Basically get back to what we were pre Wojo
Bring back FFP!!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2021, 08:54:53 AM »

You are banned from my tickets for year one due to promoting a fifth year for Theo.

Interesting that you don't believe Theo would be a good 9th or 10th man on a Shaka-coached team; I'm guessing Shaka would disagree strongly with you.

But I obviously accept your "punishment," as they are your tickets to give away. We'll be a better team in 2022-23 anyway, so ... Mrs. 82 and I accept!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2021, 08:56:00 AM »
This is even better, and one that we must aspire to. Is not this why Shaka Kahn was hired? Great aspirations.
We, collectively, get wrapped around the axel on aspirations vs expectations. 100% agree with  dgies list as aspirations but you're going to be disappointed if that is your expectation.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2021, 08:57:40 AM »

If Theo comes back as a tenth man, I am all in. I have always been a fan of a nine man rotation.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2021, 09:07:41 AM »

If Theo comes back as a tenth man, I am all in. I have always been a fan of a nine man rotation.
Love this and my sentiments exactly.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2021, 09:08:44 AM »
- Clean program
- fun to watch

So you've never been satisfied huh?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2021, 09:12:47 AM »
I think the correct terms are smarties and dummies
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2021, 09:15:03 AM »
My expectations:

#1 and 2 in particular are dead on for me. I always found it annoying when some posters got excited when a team we beat in December won a game in Feb so our rankings would go up. Hell of a low bar to get excited about.

I was ambivalent at first about the Shaka hire, but your enthusiasm has given me hope.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 12:29:29 PM by hairy worthen »

feedback