Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Was Moser not interested?  (Read 6528 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Was Moser not interested?
« on: March 26, 2021, 10:46:52 AM »

Or was Shaka the target from the get go?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Was Moser not interested?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 10:48:45 AM »
I think what hurt Moser’s chances is Loyola is still playing.

You don’t wanna play coaching carousel chicken if you really like Shaka.

Moser was no guarantee so Scholl went and got his guy.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 10:51:52 AM »
We'll here rumors and legends as time goes by (like the Tony Bennett story).   Coach Smart said yes before Coach Moser had the opportunity.   Welcome, coach Smart.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 10:54:26 AM »
I think Scholl knew full well Moser's level of interest.
So either Moser wasn't interested or Scholl thought Smart was the better choice.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 11:01:08 AM by Pakuni »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 10:55:47 AM »
Shaka is the right guy for the program and the university. I love Moser and hope he stays at Loyola and makes them into an even bigger program.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 10:56:17 AM »
I'd be shocked if Marquette did not back channel to see if there was interest in the job by Moser. I can't see him ending up at Indiana since it's become a coach slaughterhouse, so I'd expect he stays at Loyola or maybe takes the DePaul job to stay in Chicago.

I wanted Moser, but damn we could have done a lot worse. Shaka is an exciting hire and gives us a great chance to retain players/recruits, and maybe be immediately better in Year 1.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 11:13:18 AM »
Porter Moser plays a very slow pace of basketball-I get how so many embraced his hiring given the success but as an MU fan watching us play a pace of basketball in the 300 range would absolutely disgust me....I get it may be successful but it would be eerily similar to the Badgers...

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 11:16:32 AM »
Porter Moser plays a very slow pace of basketball-I get how so many embraced his hiring given the success but as an MU fan watching us play a pace of basketball in the 300 range would absolutely disgust me....I get it may be successful but it would be eerily similar to the Badgers...

We already have to watch Virginia play Wisconsin every so often. 38-31 fests...oof.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 11:16:48 AM »

I'd rather have NCAA tourney success playing less exciting basketball than flame out in the first round like Shaka Smart does.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 11:20:41 AM »
I think Shaka can be successful here and likely will be better than Wojo

BUT ... Shaka has flamed out and gone
0-3 in NCAAT at UT.  If that had occurred here ... most of this BD would be very very upset / disappointed

( yes ... he has a FF ... won B12 tournament)

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 11:22:15 AM »

0-3 in NCAAT at UT.  If that had occurred here ... most of this BD would be very very upset / disappointed

Won a Big 12 tournament not having to play a semi final game due to COVID

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 11:24:44 AM »
You can't show interest when your team is playing in a Sweet 16 and has a legitimate path to a Final Four. Especially when you are sitting in a bubble in Indy.

Those discussions are for after your team is done playing.

Timing certainly came into play with this decision. But Shaka is a good hire.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 11:27:25 AM »
I'd rather have NCAA tourney success playing less exciting basketball than flame out in the first round like Shaka Smart does.

Uhh, Shaka went to the FF when he was coaching a mid major type of program.

By your astound logic you keep showing.

If you can say "Since SHaka sucked at Texas he will suck at MU" I can also say "If shaka was only successful at a mid major then immediately tanked at a high major. So will Moser".

You are a moron. Lets just all agree on that.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 11:30:18 AM »

MU was snakebit in the NCAA with heartbreaking losses, but got there and played competitively.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2021, 11:31:02 AM »

I swear after today I'll stop posting in response to this type of idiocy where people look at a single number and say Moser's teams are "boring" without actually watching them play. Possessions may take longer to play out, but the off-ball movement and cohesive team creativity on every one of them is light years ahead of what Wojo or Shaka put on the court in terms of "exciting offense." Boring was watching 4 guys stand around while Markus took fadeaway 25 footers against a double team. Boring (tragic more like it) was watching Shaka's Texas team turn the ball over non-stop against a press that everyone and their mother knew was coming and got dissected easily the very next game. Moser's teams are *not* boring if you actually watch them play as opposed to looking at a single stat on a sheet of paper.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2021, 11:43:08 AM »
You can't show interest when your team is playing in a Sweet 16 and has a legitimate path to a Final Four. Especially when you are sitting in a bubble in Indy.

Those discussions are for after your team is done playing.

Timing certainly came into play with this decision. But Shaka is a good hire.

Not true. There are always back channel communications with his people. Bill had a good idea which way the wind was blowing.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2021, 11:43:24 AM »

If you can say "Since SHaka sucked at Texas he will suck at MU" I can also say "If shaka was only successful at a mid major then immediately tanked at a high major. So will Moser".

Nailed it.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2021, 11:48:35 AM »

The guy who uses “By your astound logic” calling someone else a moron?

omni77

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2021, 11:50:23 AM »
I liked Moser but I also think the notion that he was a potential candidate was mostly media hype.  The more stuff I read about him, I got the impression he was pretty happy with his situation at Loyola and wouldn't consider leaving. I saw his salary was about $1.1M - I know MU would have offered him more but that's pretty good scratch for a "mid-major" coach.  He's been mentioned as being the next Mark Few - sounds like a good position to be in.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2021, 11:50:31 AM »
Moser was absolutely interested.

I wouldn't say Shaka was the guy from the get go but the people in charge decided he was the better candidate. Happened in the past day or two.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2021, 12:03:33 PM »
Yep. Moser was definitely interested and I don’t think the fact that he is still in the tournament was much of a factor.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Warriors88

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2021, 12:09:31 PM »
I swear after today I'll stop posting in response to this type of idiocy where people look at a single number and say Moser's teams are "boring" without actually watching them play. Possessions may take longer to play out, but the off-ball movement and cohesive team creativity on every one of them is light years ahead of what Wojo or Shaka put on the court in terms of "exciting offense." Boring was watching 4 guys stand around while Markus took fadeaway 25 footers against a double team. Boring (tragic more like it) was watching Shaka's Texas team turn the ball over non-stop against a press that everyone and their mother knew was coming and got dissected easily the very next game. Moser's teams are *not* boring if you actually watch them play as opposed to looking at a single stat on a sheet of paper.

So true.  What is boring about watching a team execute for 20 seconds on offence and finish with a layup.  Thats what you get with Loyola.  His teams are disciplined on both ends. 

Would have preferred Moser as our next coach but will support SS 100%. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2021, 12:09:57 PM »

I wouldn't say Shaka was the guy from the get go but the people in charge decided he was the better candidate. Happened in the past day or two.

I think Moser was interested but not 100%. The move, his family, etc. I think MU saw the chance he could spurn us for DePaul or stay at Loyola to be too great.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2021, 12:11:42 PM »
WRT Moser...who cares.

We have our new coach.

Death on call

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2021, 12:19:08 PM »

Ughhh