2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cracked Sidewalks: Tom Keegan on the MU coaching search  (Read 2021 times)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Cracked Sidewalks: Tom Keegan on the MU coaching search
« on: March 25, 2021, 09:05:22 AM »
MU grad and longtime sports columnist Tom Keegan is back to talk up the MU coaching search. Is the Smart money on Moser? Take a look

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2021/03/keegan-considers-mu-coaching.html

MU82

• All American
Re: Cracked Sidewalks: Tom Keegan on the MU coaching search
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 09:23:13 AM »
He's even more down on Shaka than I am.

"Moser over Smart is an easy choice"

"The gap between Moser and Smart is big enough that there’s no reason to think that if Moser isn’t interested, better candidates than Smart can be lured to Milwaukee: Winthrop’s Pat Kelsey, Utah State’s Craig Smith, etc., among them."

Also spoke highly of Gates.

Not that Keegan has any inside knowledge or anything. Just another yakker, like the rest of us!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 09:27:51 AM »
MU grad and longtime sports columnist Tom Keegan is back to talk up the MU coaching search. Is the Smart money on Moser? Take a look

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2021/03/keegan-considers-mu-coaching.html

Why did Keegan begin his argument by knee capping it with this gem?

big names tend to be more important in winning press conferences than games

Honestly, he sounds more like a spurned lover than an objective voice.  I'm not advocating for or against Shaka or Moser, but this blog post is heavy on emotion, selective on data, and only emphasizes Shaka's weaknesses while noting Moser's strengths.

Please don't drag me too hard for this view.  ;D

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 09:29:05 AM »
Why did Keegan begin his argument by knee capping it with this gem?

big names tend to be more important in winning press conferences than games

Honestly, he sounds more like a spurned lover than an objective voice.  I'm not advocating for or against Shaka or Moser, but this blog post is heavy on emotion, selective on data, and only emphasizes Shaka's weaknesses while noting Moser's strengths.

Please don't drag me too hard for this view.  ;D

The false dichotomy of claiming Shaka spurned Marquette just like Crean is also pretty odd. Very heavy on emotion article through a very specific lens
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 09:31:27 AM »
I think at this point, Moser (and for good reason) is the leader in the clubhouse.

The fact that there has been no movement on naming a head coach while coaches like Beilein, Matta, Smart, Kelsey, and Gates are available, and while transfers are being scooped up and recruits are making decisions, tells me Marquette at least wants to hear from Moser and has likely been informed Moser is willing to at least hear from Marquette.

To echo points made time and time again all over these boards, other boards, and twitter, Marquette appears to be in great shape. I would take any of the six named above and be excited. Each has their own positives and negatives, including Shaka Smart. I understand the parallels to Wojo, but there are differences too. I think the article is a bit guilty of cherry-picking data to support an agenda rather than an objective analysis.

Regardless, I -- for one -- am excited to see who will be named. Let's hope this excitement doesn't come crashing down with some random assistant coach being named.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 10:00:10 AM »
I think at this point, Moser (and for good reason) is the leader in the clubhouse.

The fact that there has been no movement on naming a head coach while coaches like Beilein, Matta, Smart, Kelsey, and Gates are available, and while transfers are being scooped up and recruits are making decisions, tells me Marquette at least wants to hear from Moser and has likely been informed Moser is willing to at least hear from Marquette.

To echo points made time and time again all over these boards, other boards, and twitter, Marquette appears to be in great shape. I would take any of the six named above and be excited. Each has their own positives and negatives, including Shaka Smart. I understand the parallels to Wojo, but there are differences too. I think the article is a bit guilty of cherry-picking data to support an agenda rather than an objective analysis.

Regardless, I -- for one -- am excited to see who will be named. Let's hope this excitement doesn't come crashing down with some random assistant coach being named.

This is pretty much how I am thinking, too.

Had Gates or Smith absolutely killed it in the interview, to the point of becoming the leader, he already would have been hired.

So that leaves Moser and Smart as most likely. Moser is still playing, so obviously have to wait on him. And getting Shaka would involved dealing with numerous moving parts.

So the logical me thinks it's either Moser or Smart.

And like you, I'd happily support any of them ... even if I will have to convince myself some on Shaka.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson