[June 09, 2024, 08:44:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by 4everwarriors
[June 09, 2024, 08:25:23 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Porter Moser should be the guy  (Read 72746 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Porter Moser should be the guy
« Reply #525 on: March 24, 2021, 11:45:54 AM »
What's Mrs. Gates' position at Boston College? Is there an equivalent opportunity at MU?  Just curious.

I doubt they’d hire the BBall coach’s wife at MU in that position. Short of being the AD at UWM, I don’t know if there’s something comparable in the area.

I don’t believe they’ve ever worked in the same city, so this might just be the arrangement that works best for them.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #526 on: March 24, 2021, 11:54:18 AM »
I don’t know how people can say this.  It’s already been shown that even back to his SLU days he didn’t recruit players at a level close to needed for success here.  In the last decade, Marquette has recruited 3 players (Akanno, Greg Elliott, and Ike) that rank lower than the HIGHEST ranked recruit Moser got, even after the FF.  Again, nobody is expecting him to be pulling in top 50 guys and top 25 classes at Loyola. But if he is some superlative closer and relentless recruiter like you are claiming, you’d expect him to have pulled some fringe top 150-200 guys.   Much less expect him to seamlessly suddenly be able to lock down and sell top 50/75 talent on playing a slow tempo/defense first style?

He may be just fine and I have no doubt he recruits well to fit his system, but acting like it’s a certainty he’d slide in and tear up the recruiting trail is silly and without basis for a guy without any track record of recruiting top tier talent as a HC or AC

But that isn't true.

The Majerus/Crews kids he recruited would have done well in the Big East. And of course, he would have more resources at MUBB and, he'd be recruiting to a different league.

Are we going by recruiting rankings out of high school or are we going by results? 14, 19, 35 KenPom results with kids largely recruited by Moser at SLU. I think Majerus proved at multiple locations that recruiting rankings aren't always the be all end all. And Marquette has shown that also by some of its lack of success.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 11:56:31 AM by shoothoops »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #527 on: March 24, 2021, 11:55:13 AM »
I don’t know how people can say this.  It’s already been shown that even back to his SLU days he didn’t recruit players at a level close to needed for success here.

How many Big 12 quality players did Scott Drew land at Valpo? How many did Chris Beard land at Angelo State and Little Rock?
You're right that it can't be known with certainty that he'll land top-level recruits at Marquette. But the fact he hasn't done so at Loyola doesn't mean much. I keep looking at the fact that he has the #1 or #2 class in his conference five years running and it tells me that relative to similar programs, he''s a top recruiter.
Sure there's risk, but there's risk with all the candidates. It's no guarantee Gates will recruit high-level kids to MU because he did it as an assistant at Florida State. Plenty of top recruiting assistants flop on the trail as head coaches (see: John Groce, Orlando Antigua).

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #528 on: March 24, 2021, 12:06:10 PM »
Because, say, unlike Gates in Cleveland or Smith in Utah or even Smart in Austin, Moser had deep roots in Chicago. He grew up in the burbs, has been at Loyola for a decade and, by all accounts, loves the city. So the question about whether he'd want to pick up and move becomes a real (or more real) factor in his decision than it might be for some of the other candidates.
Barring the hyperloop - an option I feel has not been properly explored - him commuting would seem a stretch, though.

The guy has spent most of his professional career someone else other than Chicago.  I think he understands the importance of living in the city where he is working.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 12:09:01 PM by Non-Salesperson Time-Waster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #529 on: March 24, 2021, 12:10:13 PM »
I don’t know how people can say this.  It’s already been shown that even back to his SLU days he didn’t recruit players at a level close to needed for success here.  In the last decade, Marquette has recruited 3 players (Akanno, Greg Elliott, and Ike) that rank lower than the HIGHEST ranked recruit Moser got, even after the FF.  Again, nobody is expecting him to be pulling in top 50 guys and top 25 classes at Loyola. But if he is some superlative closer and relentless recruiter like you are claiming, you’d expect him to have pulled some fringe top 150-200 guys.   Much less expect him to seamlessly suddenly be able to lock down and sell top 50/75 talent on playing a slow tempo/defense first style?

He may be just fine and I have no doubt he recruits well to fit his system, but acting like it’s a certainty he’d slide in and tear up the recruiting trail is silly and without basis for a guy without any track record of recruiting top tier talent as a HC or AC

This Loyola team would have finished top 3 Big East and just made the Sweet 16 after dominating the Big Ten champion.  That seems successful to me.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #530 on: March 24, 2021, 12:11:39 PM »

The guy has spent most of his professional career someone else other than Chicago.

Which says nothing about whether he wants to move now, after settling down there for a decade and having a gaggle of school-age kids.
I have no idea his feelings on the matter, but the fact he moved around a lot previously doesn't really mean anything when it comes to what he wants today. For all we know, he hated that part of the job and has little interest in doing it again.

• All American
« Reply #531 on: March 24, 2021, 12:12:32 PM »
Which says nothing about whether he wants to move now, after settling down there for a decade and having a gaggle of school-age kids.
I have no idea his feelings on the matter, but the fact he moved around a lot previously doesn't really mean anything when it comes to what he wants today. For all we know, he hated that part of the job and has little interest in doing it again.

Then he should stay at Loyola.  Or coach at DePaul.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #532 on: March 24, 2021, 12:15:09 PM »

Then he should stay at Loyola.  Or coach at DePaul.

So you're willing to accept that Gates may fly out to see his family in Boston a bunch but if Moser wants to driving an hour south to see his family he'd be better off staying at Loyola or Depaul?

The different standards here is mind boggling.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #533 on: March 24, 2021, 12:18:49 PM »
But that isn't true.

The Majerus/Crews kids he recruited would have done well in the Big East. And of course, he would have more resources at MUBB and, he'd be recruiting to a different league.

Are we going by recruiting rankings out of high school or are we going by results? 14, 19, 35 KenPom results with kids largely recruited by Moser at SLU. I think Majerus proved at multiple locations that recruiting rankings aren't always the be all end all. And Marquette has shown that also by some of its lack of success.

Two different discussions.  The question is "can Moser recruit top level talent"  not "has he identified players from his system that developed well". 

Jett-#333, Mitchell-#168, Reed-#262, Reid- #206.McCall was going to go to Illinois St if I recall.
None of those classes were even top 5 in the A10.  Results matter more, of course.  But show me a team that is consistently successful into the second week of the NCAA tournament and in their major conference without at least a few top 75 guys.  Expecting to develop a bunch of 150+ diamond in the rough guys in a major conference schedule is dangerous.

Again, I said I had no doubt he could identify players that fit his system, but no matter how much you want to laud the SLU years till you're blue in the face, he never recruited top 150 guys with any success, period.  Can he do it with the BEast behind him?  Possibly.  But its not like there's experience there

How many Big 12 quality players did Scott Drew land at Valpo? How many did Chris Beard land at Angelo State and Little Rock?
You're right that it can't be known with certainty that he'll land top-level recruits at Marquette. But the fact he hasn't done so at Loyola doesn't mean much. I keep looking at the fact that he has the #1 or #2 class in his conference five years running and it tells me that relative to similar programs, he''s a top recruiter.
Sure there's risk, but there's risk with all the candidates. It's no guarantee Gates will recruit high-level kids to MU because he did it as an assistant at Florida State. Plenty of top recruiting assistants flop on the trail as head coaches (see: John Groce, Orlando Antigua).

Chris Beard spent a decade recruiting at TTU for Bob Knight though.  Thats a bit different.

And of course there is risk.  I never said there isnt.  And Ive never said Moser is a crap recruiter who is destined to fail.  Ive only pushed back on this notion that there is no doubt he's gonna be a great recruiter who wont have ANY trouble adjusting.  Thats not exaggeration, that level of confidence and assurance has been expressed a dozen times by multiple different posters.

• All American
« Reply #534 on: March 24, 2021, 12:22:08 PM »
So you're willing to accept that Gates may fly out to see his family in Boston a bunch but if Moser wants to driving an hour south to see his family he'd be better off staying at Loyola or Depaul?

The different standards here is mind boggling.

Sorry where did I say anything about Gates flying off to Boston??? 

I think the Marquette coach should primarily live in Milwaukee. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #535 on: March 24, 2021, 12:26:48 PM »
Gates plays slow too.

As mentioned - limited data, and with that data much more up-tempo than Moser (or Wright...many years...he has had some high tempo teams).  Plus with the Florida St. roots (almost always top 100 tempo), you'd expect Gates to trend higher tempo than lower.

But like I said, it's really my only nit.  Winning trumps tempo, so I'd happily accept it with Ws.  Just not my personal preference.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #536 on: March 24, 2021, 12:28:28 PM »

Sorry where did I say anything about Gates flying off to Boston??? 

I think the Marquette coach should primarily live in Milwaukee.

You gave me a very snippy lecture about not all families need to live together regarding Gates. And you've ignored him having a family in another city regarding his candidacy so I've assume you're ok with it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #537 on: March 24, 2021, 12:29:39 PM »
Chris Beard spent a decade recruiting at TTU for Bob Knight though.  Thats a bit different.

During Beard's 10 years as an assistant at TTU, they landed zero 5-stars and four 4-star kids.
Not exactly a track record that would sell anyone on him being a high-level recruiter.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #538 on: March 24, 2021, 12:33:01 PM »
Good lord, I wish Scholl would go ahead and hire someone so 'Scoopers could quit arguing about recruiting, commuting, offensive pace and join together in complaining about the hire.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

• All American
« Reply #539 on: March 24, 2021, 12:36:29 PM »
You gave me a very snippy lecture about not all families need to live together regarding Gates. And you've ignored him having a family in another city regarding his candidacy so I've assume you're ok with it.

When did I give you a "snippy lecture?"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #540 on: March 24, 2021, 12:47:15 PM »
I have no doubt Moser will recruit successfully at MU, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #541 on: March 24, 2021, 01:05:00 PM »
Okay, I'm going to rebutt some of my arguments.

"Moser plays slow".  Of course he plays slow since the players he recruits aren't top flight athletes.  If your players are slow, you can play slow... but you can't play fast.

"Moser can't recruit"  Of course he isn't going to be able to attract top talent to a mid major school with limited resources.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #542 on: March 24, 2021, 01:11:51 PM »
4ever

I said several years ago that I did not care what style of ball they played, as long as they won. I have no doubt that Moser would recruit guys that fits his system and he will be successful. While not my style/type of ball, like everyone on here, I want to see a winning program and that is bottom line. He probably does not need to upgrade recruiting a ton and I agree he likely would recruit to the level he feels is needed.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #543 on: March 24, 2021, 01:21:36 PM »
Two different discussions.  The question is "can Moser recruit top level talent"  not "has he identified players from his system that developed well". 

Jett-#333, Mitchell-#168, Reed-#262, Reid- #206.McCall was going to go to Illinois St if I recall.
None of those classes were even top 5 in the A10.  Results matter more, of course.  But show me a team that is consistently successful into the second week of the NCAA tournament and in their major conference without at least a few top 75 guys.  Expecting to develop a bunch of 150+ diamond in the rough guys in a major conference schedule is dangerous.

Again, I said I had no doubt he could identify players that fit his system, but no matter how much you want to laud the SLU years till you're blue in the face, he never recruited top 150 guys with any success, period.  Can he do it with the BEast behind him?  Possibly.  But its not like there's experience there

And of course there is risk.  I never said there isnt.  And Ive never said Moser is a crap recruiter who is destined to fail.  Ive only pushed back on this notion that there is no doubt he's gonna be a great recruiter who wont have ANY trouble adjusting.  Thats not exaggeration, that level of confidence and assurance has been expressed a dozen times by multiple different posters.

You said Moser didn't recruit players at SLU good enough to win at Marquette. That isn't true.

Now you are moving the goalposts to teams that are consistently successful the 2nd weekend of the NCAA Tourney, something Marquette has done little of the past 40 plus years.

Moser left SLU for a Head Coaching job at Loyola, to advance his career. Majerus had health problems. You don't think they would have continued to win at those high levels into the NCAA 2nd weekend?  SLU was a 14 KenPom losing to a 3 KenPom. Another year they lost to the number 1 KenPom team in NCAA Tourney. These were not in the first round. They had top 5 seeds multiple times.

Facts are facts. Results are results.

You said, "Even in his SLU days, Moser didn't recruit players at a level close to needed for success at Marquette." I said that isn't correct because it isn't.

You have a repeated fixation on St. Louis the metro, and Saint Louis the University which cloud your factual analysis, and doesn't allow you to see the forest for the trees.

You keep referencing recruiting rankings when, at multiple places, Moser has shown he can be successful at high levels without having those.

I am happy to help you with any player background you'd like. Let's pick a random one, you perhaps even accidentally omitted some. Dwayne Evans, Nequa Valley, Illinois Warriors, 26-2 Senior Year, 3rd team all state Chicago Tribune. McCall (24-3 first ever Foreman Public League Title) 2nd team Chicago Tribune. That was the Blackshear year etc...Evans was being recruited mostly by MVC, MAC, schools and Northwestern.

From 2012-2014 their last 3 seasons, only 35 players in the country won 79 or more games. Four of them played for SLU, some guys, named Evans, McCall, Jett, Loe. Evans, Jett etc...first team all conference.

In 2014 Shaka Smart was good enough for many to be the next Head Coach of MUBB. Guess which school beat out VCU for first place that season and the season before before that, and finished 2nd the season before that? SLU. Guess which guy recruited several of those players making much of the difference? Moser.

I didn't even vote for Moser in the poll. (Not that PM wouldn't be successful at MUBB) But this anti SLU or anti St. Louis stuff is silly and strange. Maybe pretend its somewhere else if that helps you. Facts are facts. Shaka is still getting top four votes in the poll here in 2021.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 01:24:48 PM by shoothoops »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #544 on: March 24, 2021, 01:21:51 PM »

When did I give you a "snippy lecture?"

Bout a month ago if I recall correctly.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #545 on: March 24, 2021, 01:49:39 PM »
There is one big hang up for me on Moser.  I’m not sure I want a head coach with a first name like Porter. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #546 on: March 24, 2021, 01:50:21 PM »
There is one big hang up for me on Moser.  I’m not sure I want a head coach with a first name like Porter.

What about Stout?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #547 on: March 24, 2021, 01:52:42 PM »
Oh yeah, Stout sounds more like a man of the people.

Porter sounds way too bourgeoisie.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #548 on: March 24, 2021, 01:56:00 PM »
Oh yeah, Stout sounds more like a man of the people.

Porter sounds way too bourgeoisie.

Ok. So if Marquette hires him, we have some demands:

1. Live in Milwaukee (Willamette is for yuppies)
2. Change name to Stout Moser
3. Dragon Tattoo across back (optional)
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #549 on: March 24, 2021, 02:11:31 PM »
No better way to see if he’s all in.