'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU coaching candidates  (Read 91617 times)

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
Re: MU coaching candidates
« Reply #475 on: March 21, 2021, 10:41:09 AM »
Moser is an absolutely home-run hire if the admins can pull it off.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #476 on: March 21, 2021, 10:46:10 AM »
I used to know someone who worked for Crean in his MU days, so I got to hear all the stories (good, bad and ugly).

There is no doubt that his skill set includes some attributes that MU desperately needs.  Crean would immediately work on selling MU to the fanbase again, and nobody enjoys that part of the job or works harder at it than Crean.  The guy used to go out and walk the campus as classes were letting out so students would say hi and he could chat them up and get them enthused for the next game.

Unfortunately, he's not a very good game coach.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #477 on: March 21, 2021, 10:48:45 AM »
I can think of a couple of examples in college football where a return of a coach who previously departed for elsewhere happened.

Johnny Majors to Pitt:  Disaster
John Robinson to USC:  Not great
Mike Riley to Oregon State:  Decent

In basketball I can only think of one.  Lou Henson went back to New Mexico State after he was at Illinois.  And that initially worked, but then flamed out pretty badly.

I think this is a bad idea.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #478 on: March 21, 2021, 10:49:00 AM »

Unfortunately, he's not a very good game coach.

I have fond memories of telling my wife what was going to happen before IU played Syracuse in the tournament and why.     When I turned out to be spot on, being a wife, she of course didn't talk to me for a day.     Mixed blessing.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #479 on: March 21, 2021, 10:51:48 AM »
The last sentence did, that's for sure. I just thought it was impossible for an absolutely loaded Texas team to lose to a team full of tiny, talent-shy players. Silly me.

They are certainly tiny and may be talent shy, but they outworked Texas all up and down the floor.  What a great win for them.

As for Shaka, no thanks.  He put MU in the friend zone.  Let it be.  Don't go crawling back to him the moment the date he chose over us walked away. Have a little self respect. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #480 on: March 21, 2021, 10:56:09 AM »
I can think of a couple of examples in college football where a return of a coach who previously departed for elsewhere happened.

In basketball I can only think of one.  Lou Henson went back to New Mexico State after he was at Illinois.  And that initially worked, but then flamed out pretty badly.

Dave Leitao comes to mind.

• All American
« Reply #481 on: March 21, 2021, 10:58:18 AM »

Well there ya go.  Another disaster.

Really this is not a good idea.  I've never personally disliked Crean, but I don't think he is a great game coach and would rather just try something new.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #482 on: March 21, 2021, 10:58:54 AM »

Yep. I mentioned this in another thread (I think - there are so many....).

C-USA champs the first time around; no better than 8th his second.

• All American
« Reply #483 on: March 21, 2021, 11:00:45 AM »
I have always kinda thought that the whole "Mrs. Shaka didn't want to go to Milwaukee" was more about her playing bad cop to Shaka's good cop.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #484 on: March 21, 2021, 11:01:00 AM »

Really this is not a good idea.  I've never personally disliked Crean, but I don't think he is a great game coach and would rather just try something new.

Bobby Petrino

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #485 on: March 21, 2021, 11:02:19 AM »
I have always kinda thought that the whole "Mrs. Shaka didn't want to go to Milwaukee" was more about her playing bad cop to Shaka's good cop.

Yeah, "the my wife really didn't want to move" is a classic excuse for these types of things when you suddenly get cold feet and don't know if the grass is really greener.

• All American
« Reply #486 on: March 21, 2021, 11:03:40 AM »
Bobby Petrino

And that worked when he had generational talent...and then fell apart quickly.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #487 on: March 21, 2021, 11:04:06 AM »
Yeah, "the my wife really didn't want to move" is a classic excuse for these types of things when you suddenly get cold feet and don't know if the grass is really greener.

If that's true, Shaka's feet probably did get cold while he was sleeping on the couch the next few weeks.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #488 on: March 21, 2021, 11:06:22 AM »

Ritchie McKay also comes to mind at Liberty. That worked out better, but I'm still not on board with Crean.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #489 on: March 21, 2021, 11:09:27 AM »
Any indication Dick Strong is one of the donors who put up the $$ to say Goodbye to Wojo? If so, they'll at least take a phone call from Crean.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #490 on: March 21, 2021, 11:09:46 AM »

He had the same in-game coaching issues at Indiana.   And the way he left Marquette - well.....

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #491 on: March 21, 2021, 11:13:06 AM »
Do we really want Beilein after his less than stellar NBA venture and his less than acceptable comment?  Given today’s climate I don’t see that hire as a PR win for Marquette.  The dude is also old at this point.   Really question how much his NBA stint has tarnished his reputation and the impact that could have on his ability to recruit.  What kids are going to want to sign up to play for someone who now had the reputation Beilein has?  I’d personally rather dole the dice on a guy on the way up (Gates) than get a guy who’s best years may be behind him.   

GOO

• All American
« Reply #492 on: March 21, 2021, 11:21:51 AM »
Crean immediately makes MU a better team. He actually did well at Indiana, just didn’t bring the level of success that they assume they are entitled to.

I thought it was time for Crean to move on last time, actually a year earlier as I sensed frustration creeping in with him because of his undersized teams. A it’s them, not me.

Now is welcome him back. I would assume his attitude would be different. That he’d agree to a high buyout and no yearly shenanigans of being named for every viable coach opening each spring.
And, with the decline in in person sports that will only accelerate after this year, having a marketer who gets that, is a nice bonus

Least risky hire. But also a high upside.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #493 on: March 21, 2021, 11:24:20 AM »
If Moser wins this, do you wait another week, or take your pick between Gates / Shaka this week?

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #494 on: March 21, 2021, 11:28:51 AM »
The Crean talk seems similar to any Wardle mention: without the MU connection, would he even be a candidate?  I doubt any other schools with openings are considering Crean.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #495 on: March 21, 2021, 11:32:12 AM »
If Moser wins this, do you wait another week, or take your pick between Gates / Shaka this week?

I don't think you'd necessarily need to wait on Moser if they win today. There are ways of finding out whether he'd take the job if offered.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #496 on: March 21, 2021, 11:33:26 AM »

Not like the glory days, yet John Robinson to USC had a Rose Bowl win in 96 and ending the long losing streak to Notre Dame. Yet, I get your point.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GOO

• All American
« Reply #497 on: March 21, 2021, 11:36:10 AM »
The Crean talk seems similar to any Wardle mention: without the MU connection, would he even be a candidate?  I doubt any other schools with openings are considering Crean.
Possibly true, but is that like Alford and Indiana or other similar situations?  If he went after Minn do you think they’d be interested? 

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #498 on: March 21, 2021, 11:40:15 AM »
Possibly true, but is that like Alford and Indiana or other similar situations?  If he went after Minn do you think they’d be interested?

I don't think so, he's stunk out loud at Georgia.  If he had them playing well then maybe he'd be a candidate elsewhere.  I doubt anyone in Georgia would mind if he left.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #499 on: March 21, 2021, 11:41:39 AM »
The only reason I would root for Crean to get the job is it would make this place the very best possible version of itself.