Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Selection Sunday, Take 1  (Read 11036 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
[Cracked Sidewalks] Selection Sunday, Take 1
« on: March 14, 2021, 09:19:06 AM »
We've updated the S-Curve with last night's developments. Georgetown and Oregon State steal bids from Xavier and Mississippi. We're down to 6 teams for 3 spots, with Cincinnati lurking as another bid thief.

As an aside, it absolutely sucks as a bracketologist to get suspended by Twitter for using the term "name recognition" referring to Syracuse on Selection Sunday just hours before the reveal because apparently that's posting someone's private information.

Oh well, here's the updates:

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2021/03/selection-sunday-take-1.html?m=1

****Scroll down for an updated bracket, as of 3:56 pm.****
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 03:56:09 PM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Selection Sunday, Take 1
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 09:35:15 AM »
In the MU community, Selection Sunday has been renamed Sullen Sunday, where we get to watch other teams, other fans enjoy the beginning of basketball christmas while MU fans pack up their lockers for yet another long off-season.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 01:29:44 PM »
In the MU community, Selection Sunday has been renamed Sullen Sunday, where we get to watch other teams, other fans enjoy the beginning of basketball christmas while MU fans pack up their lockers for yet another long off-season.

I had the same thought this morning.  Instead of the excitement of wondering who we’re going to play, we get...nothing.  I’m not even going to watch tonight.  In seven years under Wojo, we’ve played in *two* Tournament games.  Pathetic.

Is there a way we can give the Coaching Carousel a name similar to Sullen Sunday?  It’s going to be frustrating as hell to watch other schools decisively fire failing coaches and make exciting hires while we’re stuck with the turd we have.

I’ve been following Marquette basketball for three decades, and this is the lowest I’ve ever felt about the MU program.  If I had season tickets, I’d absolutely cancel.  I do not plan on attending another game until Wojo is canned.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 01:37:49 PM »
I had the same thought this morning.  Instead of the excitement of wondering who we’re going to play, we get...nothing.  I’m not even going to watch tonight.  In seven years under Wojo, we’ve played in *two* Tournament games.  Pathetic.

If you're going to criticize me for counting last year as an appearance, you should probably acknowledge that Wojo has only had 6 opportunities to earn a tournament bid. 2/6 ain't great either but 2 out of the last 4 opportunities is more reasonable. Still think he should be fired though.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 01:45:34 PM »
If you're going to criticize me for counting last year as an appearance, you should probably acknowledge that Wojo has only had 6 opportunities to earn a tournament bid. 2/6 ain't great either but 2 out of the last 4 opportunities is more reasonable. Still think he should be fired though.

You ever see the YouTube video where that little kid steals his grandma’s car and crashes it, and then they interview him and he says, “I did cuz it’s fun.  It’s fun to do bad things.”  Well, at this point, I criticize Wojo because it’s fun.  It’s fun to kick him while he’s down, and he’s guided the program to such an awful place that I see no reason not to rip on him for pretty much anything I can think of.

And I didn’t say he had seven chances.  Just that in seven years, we’ve played in two tournament games.  If we hadn’t gotten our asses beat in the two we played, that number would be higher.  But I guess that’s asking too much.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 01:47:29 PM »
We've updated the S-Curve with last night's developments. Georgetown and Oregon State steal bids from Xavier and Mississippi. We're down to 6 teams for 3 spots, with Cincinnati lurking as another bid thief.

As an aside, it absolutely sucks as a bracketologist to get suspended by Twitter for using the term "name recognition" referring to Syracuse on Selection Sunday just hours before the reveal because apparently that's posting someone's private information.

Oh well, here's the updates:

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2021/03/selection-sunday-take-1.html?m=1
Given it’s 13-12 record and 64 NET, I suspect that Gtown will likely be in a First Four game.....

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 01:47:44 PM »
I think an overwhelming majority of Scoop wants Wojo fired. I think a slight majority, if not strong majority, also believes Wojo is the MUBB head coach next year.

Really tough position to be in.  It is outside our control.  All we can hope for is an impact frosh season for Stevie, as well as at least two impact grad transfers (and hoping Dawson, DJ and Justin all are back).  That's alot of hoping, but it's all we can do realistically at this point.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 01:53:10 PM »
You ever see the YouTube video where that little kid steals his grandma’s car and crashes it, and then they interview him and he says, “I did cuz it’s fun.  It’s fun to do bad things.”  Well, at this point, I criticize Wojo because it’s fun.  It’s fun to kick him while he’s down, and he’s guided the program to such an awful place that I see no reason not to rip on him for pretty much anything I can think of.

And I didn’t say he had seven chances.  Just that in seven years, we’ve played in two tournament games.  If we hadn’t gotten our asses beat in the two we played, that number would be higher.  But I guess that’s asking too much.

That's a fascinating view on life.

I never said you said he had seven chance. I said you should acknowledge it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 01:53:46 PM »
Which is why a change needs to be made immediately. There was a time when MU was an elite program. Not too long ago we made the dance most every year. With Wojo-Dukiet we have become a mid major. With Wojo-Dukiet we have become a bottom feeder in the BEast. With Wojo-Dukiet we are DePaul north.

TIME FOR A CHANGE
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 02:25:13 PM »
Given it’s 13-12 record and 64 NET, I suspect that Gtown will likely be in a First Four game.....

The first four games go to the worst four 16 seeds and the worst four at large teams. Georgetown is not an at large or a 16 seed.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 03:11:56 PM »

As noted above, not possible. Unless they are a 16-seed, and there's no way that's the case.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 03:23:41 PM »
As noted above, not possible. Unless they are a 16-seed, and there's no way that's the case.
Got it. Forgetting the Hoyas are an auto-bid as BET champs.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 03:31:00 PM by Nukem2 »

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2021, 03:24:54 PM »
I think an overwhelming majority of Scoop wants Wojo fired. I think a slight majority, if not strong majority, also believes Wojo is the MUBB head coach next year.

Really tough position to be in.  It is outside our control.  All we can hope for is an impact frosh season for Stevie, as well as at least two impact grad transfers (and hoping Dawson, DJ and Justin all are back).  That's alot of hoping, but it's all we can do realistically at this point.

Well stated! We’ve all been frustrated and it’s led to a lot of lashing out on this board. But I think we can all agree to what was said above.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 04:00:25 PM »

Is there a way we can give the Coaching Carousel a name similar to Sullen Sunday?  It’s going to be frustrating as hell to watch other schools decisively fire failing coaches and make exciting hires while we’re stuck with the turd we have.

I’ve been following Marquette basketball for three decades, and this is the lowest I’ve ever felt about the MU program.  If I had season tickets, I’d absolutely cancel.  I do not plan on attending another game until Wojo is canned.

Since we're stuck with Wojo: Coaching Passover?

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2021, 04:13:45 PM »
It's weird not seeing the ACC show up until the 4-line.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2021, 04:25:59 PM »
Using my S-Curve, here is my projected NCAA field, with all efforts made to avoid intra-conference matchups by NCAA rules as well as keeping teams apart from the same conferences as much as possible.

GONZAGA REGION

1-Gonzaga vs 16-Texas Southern/Mount St. Mary's
8-Oklahoma vs 9-St. Bonaventure

4-Purdue vs 13-UC Santa Barbara
5-Villanova vs 12-Winthrop

3-Texas vs 14-Morehead State
6-Colorado vs 11-Maryland

7-Connecticut vs 10-Michigan State
2-Iowa vs 15-Grand Canyon

**Iowa moved down one on the S-Curve to keep the four Big 10 teams on the top two lines apart. Arkansas switched out of this region with Texas to avoid two Big 12 teams in the Baylor region. Purdue moved down to this region to avoid meeting a Big 10 team until the Elite 8 and because they only played Iowa once this season. Maryland switched with UCLA to avoid a Pac-12 first round meeting. Michigan and Maryland met twice in the regular season and thus CAN meet in the Sweet 16.**

BAYLOR REGION

1-Baylor vs 16-Norfolk State/Appalachian State
8-Missouri vs 9-Georgia Tech

4-Florida State vs 13-Ohio
5-Tennessee vs 12-Colgate

3-Arkansas vs 14-Eastern Washington
6-Texas Tech vs 11-UCLA

7-Wisconsin vs 10-VCU
2-Ohio State vs 15-Iona

**Ohio State moved down one on the S-Curve to keep the four Big 10 teams on the top two lines apart. Arkansas switched with Texas into this region to avoid two Big 12 teams on the top two lines in this region. FSU moved down to this region due to needing to move Purdue up to the Gonzaga region. Texas Tech moved into this region because Arkansas is the only non-Big 12 3-seed. Georgia Tech switched initially with Florida to avoid SEC first round meeting. Iona switched into this region to avoid regular season Ohio State/Cleveland State rematch. Ohio State and Wisconsin can play in the second round due to only meeting once this season.**

ILLINOIS REGION

1-Illinois vs 16-Hartford
8-San Diego State vs 9-North Carolina

4-Virginia vs 13-North Texas
5-BYU vs 12-Georgetown

3-Kansas vs 14-Abilene Christian
6-Loyola Chicago vs 11-Louisville/Wichita State

7-LSU vs 10-Virginia Tech
2-Houston vs 15-Cleveland State

**Houston moved up to keep Big 10 teams on top two lines apart. Loyola Chicago moved down one to avoid Kansas/Texas Tech second round matchup. North Carolina switched with Florida, who had already moved down one, to avoid first round ACC meeting. Oregon State switched with Georgetown into this region to avoid first round Big East matchup with Creighton below. North Texas swapped in with Liberty to avoid North Texas/West Virginia non-con rematch. Cleveland State switched with Iona into this region to avoid first round non-con rematch with Ohio State.**

MICHIGAN REGION

1-Michigan vs 16-Drexel
8-Clemson vs 9-Florida

4-West Virginia vs 13-Liberty
5-Creighton vs 12-Oregon State

3-Oklahoma State vs 14-UNC Greensboro
6-USC vs 11-Drake/Colorado State

7-Oregon vs 10-Rutgers
2-Alabama vs 15-Oral Roberts

**Florida moved down to avoid first round in-conference matchups. Oregon State swapped into this region to avoid first round Big East matchup. Liberty switched with North Texas into this region to avoid first round West Virginia/North Texas rematch. USC and Oregon can meet in the Sweet 16 because they only played once this season.**
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 04:46:34 PM by brewcity77 »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2021, 04:29:17 PM »
I suspect the NCAA has contingency brackets based on this Big 10 result. If Illinois wins, I think they move ahead of Michigan, if they lose, I think they stay as the last 1-seed. Did my last update and the bracket above based on an Illinois win.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2021, 04:32:00 PM »
Another season the Badgers close the gap to us in ncaa bids. Damn. Neighbor kid shootin’ hoop in the driveway with a Dekker jersey on. Damn. I don't even have a Corona in the ‘frig. Damn!!

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2021, 04:40:05 PM »
I suspect the NCAA has contingency brackets based on this Big 10 result. If Illinois wins, I think they move ahead of Michigan, if they lose, I think they stay as the last 1-seed. Did my last update and the bracket above based on an Illinois win.

Looks like a substantial amount of work went into this bracket so excited to see how close it is to the actual bracket. My theory is that this Big Ten game sadly doesn’t matter.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2021, 04:53:45 PM »
Looks like a substantial amount of work went into this bracket so excited to see how close it is to the actual bracket. My theory is that this Big Ten game sadly doesn’t matter.

I usually think that, but I remember being surprised by some S-Curve seeding in the past. As neither of these teams will be moving seed lines based on this game, I could see basically two brackets dependent on if Michigan or Illinois is in the 3-spot on the curve.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2021, 05:02:45 PM »

The last 4 can’t be auto bids. Unless you’re referring to the 16/16 game which obviously Gtown is nowhere near.

*Edit: Late to the obvious correction party.*
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2021, 05:17:46 PM »
First region is in. Wichita and Drake both in, which is good for my bubble projection. Feels like that leaves one spot that will be Colorado State, Utah State, Mississippi, or St. Louis. Syracuse is the popular pick on bracketmatrix, but they would surprise me.

So far, 16/16, 14/16 on the correct seed line. Had Missouri a 9, they are an 8, had UC-Santa Barbara a 13, they are a 12.

18/18 rather, two play-ins.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 05:22:41 PM by brewcity77 »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2021, 05:23:45 PM »
Two regions in, I'm 33/34 on teams. Missed Utah State, likely means Colorado State is out. 27 teams on the correct seed line, 4 teams 1 line off, 2 teams 2 lines off (Wisconsin & Florida swapped).

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2021, 05:24:48 PM »
Brewcity, didn't you excoriate me when I wrote Whisky is an 8 seed?  They ended up at the #9 line. 

feedback