[Today at 08:44:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by 4everwarriors
[Today at 08:25:23 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[Today at 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJ  (Read 3030 times)

MU82

• All American
DJ
« on: March 10, 2021, 11:36:29 PM »
DJ made 4 or 5 plays today that were must-see TV -- the kind of plays that makes folks say, "Wow, this kid could be in the NBA someday."

Both of those blocked shots ... are you effen kiddin' me? And another "holy shyte!" dunk. And that one very athletic steal that led to a Cain layup.

A few nice, more "quiet" plays, too -- a couple of little floaters, a lefty leaner while moving right, cutting his man off on D, several hustle plays.

But those turnovers! So many of them, just out of sheer carelessness with the ball.

It all made for quite a line in the box score: 17 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 steals, 3 blocks, 8 turnovers. Wow!

I love watching DJ play. He has had many stretches this season where he was the best player on the floor for either team -- and not just against talentless teams but against the likes of Creighton and UNC. He's the most dynamic athlete we've had in awhile -- more than guys who often got that tag, such as Cain or Jamil IMHO.

I want him to do whatever he and his family believe is best for him. If that's going pro, so be it. If it's transferring, OK.

Selfishly, I hope he comes back to Marquette for one more season. Assuming it is a more normal experience COVID-wise, I would be interested to see what he dedicates himself toward improving. I'm not even sure if his handle can be fixed - if maybe the only way to "fix" it is to not make him handle the basketball so much. And his shot obviously needs some work.

But he appears to love basketball, he gives his all, and he has considerable talent. He's the kind of kid I like to root for.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: DJ
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 11:49:07 PM »
Yes, he has tremendous athletic ability, but his shot needs lots of work, no jump shot, just a floater.  Plays to lefty.  If he had a mid-range jumper, he would be impossible
to guard.  Has to get smarter with the ball in his hands, not really a point guard but not sure this offense of pick and roll is totally right for him.  Needs at least one year
more of seasoning but MU needs better players around him.  Has to work on a getting a quicker release on his shot, to slow.  It would be nice if another guard could
create his own shot, at least next year we will not have to see slow poke Koby trying to get open, could not.  Elliott just does not have any quickness left in him.  Hope
those 2 new guards bring something to the table.  If he leaves, Wojo might as well go with him.  I expect a veteran guard will have to be picked up and somebody will
probably transfer.  It will be an interesting few months for sure.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 11:49:23 PM »
Agree. The turnovers can be infuriating, but the potential for greatness is clearly there. I would love to see him in a MU uniform for two more seasons.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 11:56:11 PM »
Agree. The turnovers can be infuriating, but the potential for greatness is clearly there. I would love to see him in a MU uniform for two more seasons.

I don't think 2 more seasons is realistic at all, given that the word when he was out there in the portal that he wanted to play only one more season of college ball (this one) or that he might go pro if he wasn't granted a waiver.

I'll happily take 1 more and we'll see where things stand.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 06:16:24 AM »
He just needs a former successful and NCAA Tournament winning point guard as a coach to give him a few helpful hints.

Wonder where we could find one of those?
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 06:47:53 AM »
DJ was really bad yesterday despite the 17 point. He has a boatload of talent tho and I hope he returns.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 08:12:22 AM »
Felt like DJ and Lewis were the only players ready to play, ESPN box-score had 8 TO's for DJ (FWIW)

Seniors must have checked out after Senior-Night

Jose P. blew a chance for a free trip home to NYC

Dawson doesn't do snub-fuel the way most of us would have liked

Will be at least 3 out-bound transfers this off-season :(

#RockBottom
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 09:48:47 AM »
Felt like DJ and Lewis were the only players ready to play, ESPN box-score had 8 TO's for DJ (FWIW)

Seniors must have checked out after Senior-Night

Jose P. blew a chance for a free trip home to NYC

Dawson doesn't do snub-fuel the way most of us would have liked

Will be at least 3 out-bound transfers this off-season :(

#RockBottom

Well, those certainly were opinions, which you're entitled to.

DJ made a lot of mistakes yesterday, he also was our best player by 100 miles and showed flashes why NBA GMs know who he is.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 06:50:17 PM »
Can DJ get better?  He's an athletic force and also a turnover machine.  Sometimes the light goes on, and in that case he'll be a hell of a player.  But the light doesn't always go on, and in that case it'll be another year of DJ giveth and DJ taketh away.  You can't win that way.  That's probably what he heard at Ohio State.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 06:54:07 PM »
Fascinating series done by DJ's home town TV station about his challenges with mental issues.   Apparently didn't touch a basketball for 6 months after leaving tOSU.

If he sticks around and has a normal offseason, he will likely improve.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 06:55:56 PM »
I think DJ is going to be fine.  It would have been nice to have him play off the ball at times, but they didn't really have that luxury.  I think a summer of workouts will give him the opportunity to work on his deficiencies. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2021, 06:58:25 PM »
I think DJ is going to be fine.  It would have been nice to have him play off the ball at times, but they didn't really have that luxury.  I think a summer of workouts will give him the opportunity to work on his deficiencies.

I may be wrong, but I think that playing DJ off the ball will lead to attitude deficiencies on DJ's part.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 07:01:05 PM »
I may be wrong, but I think that playing DJ off the ball will lead to attitude deficiencies on DJ's part.

I mean it could have.  I'm not taking about off the ball full time. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 07:13:16 PM »
DJ has NBA athleticism but not NBA skills. Loose handle, subpar shooter, doesn’t see the court or pass the ball all that well.

But he was far and away our best player. We really need him to come back for another year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2021, 07:16:24 PM »
Lots of potential there. He had 5-10 minute stretches during which he was the best player on the floor for either team. But then he'd either disappear or play giveaway for a similar stretch.

He has played a total of 47 college games - about 1 1/2 seasons. He can improve a lot. (I said, hopefully.)

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2021, 07:33:21 PM »
He has played a total of 47 college games - about 1 1/2 seasons. He can improve a lot. (I said, hopefully.)
Don't forget in the middle of those 47 games he went 6 (8?) months without picking up a ball and lost 25lbs while dealing with his mental health issues. That takes a lot of work to overcome. He has a lot of work ahead of him but yeah, he has a very high ceiling.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2021, 07:34:38 PM »
Don't forget in the middle of those 47 games he went 6 (8?) months without picking up a ball and lost 25lbs while dealing with his mental health issues. That takes a lot of work to overcome. He has a lot of work ahead of him but yeah, he has a very high ceiling.

Thanks for adding that.

Those who think he's not extremely talented because he turns the ball over too much are not very smart about basketball.

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2021, 08:35:58 PM »

Those who think he's not extremely talented because he turns the ball over too much are not very smart about basketball.

Wade turned it over too much in college, too. I can live with talented guys (like DJ) who are a little loose. The guys who are TO prone and don’t do much else are the ones that kill you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2021, 10:28:15 PM »
I really think DJ's shot is better than it's been. For one, he shot near 40% at Ohio St. For two, he had some crazy stats on unguarded vs guarded threes. His guarded threes were like 3x more accurate than his unguarded threes. That seems like less of a skill issue and more of a confidence issue
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2021, 10:39:01 PM »
A bigger issue is that he needs a jump shot!

feedback