[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Likely sub-.500 finish, 10th BE, this is the lowest point for the program since?

2014-15
35 (24.8%)
1998-99
15 (10.6%)
1987-89
66 (46.8%)
1963-64
3 (2.1%)
3 (2.1%)
Arby's
19 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 141

Author Topic: Program Low  (Read 10628 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Program Low
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2021, 01:20:18 PM »
This is certainly the low point for me as someone who was a freshman at the end of the Crean era.

The lack of any real success for 8 years along with the university’s financial position basically keeping us stuck. At least in Wojo’s first year, there was some optimism he could turn things around with how his early recruiting was going.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2021, 01:26:38 PM »
Not sure if it means anything and Someone on here already said it. But most all the coaches offered golf outings at the Blue And Gold auction last night but not Coach Wojo.

Mediocrity Embraced

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2021, 01:40:36 PM »
Not sure if it means anything and Someone on here already said it. But most all the coaches offered golf outings at the Blue And Gold auction last night but not Coach Wojo.
Dude can’t handle criticism, clearly. He has it made.

panda

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2021, 01:43:59 PM »
Dude can’t handle criticism, clearly. He has it made.

Why would anyone want to play golf with a guy who’s probably not going to be the coach next year?

Viper

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2021, 01:46:52 PM »
Celtics soon to launch Brad Stevens. MU, place the call!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2021, 01:47:20 PM »
None of my buddies are going to be the coach next year and I love golfing with them.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2021, 01:51:07 PM »

It may be reading too much into things, but it’s certainly interesting. If nothing else, Wojo seems like a company man. I’d figure despite the general opinion of the fan base, there’s some people that like Wojo enough to shell out some cash. Pair him with someone like Novak or Diener if you’re all that worried.

I’m just hanging on anything that could point to a mutual separation at this point.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2021, 01:52:28 PM »
None of my buddies are going to be the coach next year and I love golfing with them.   

I laughed.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2021, 03:13:51 PM »

Easier to just keep him out of it altogether than risk the embarrassment of having no one bid on an outing with him, or have all the bids be ridiculously low.  MU has turned off comments on all tweets, and this isn’t much different.  They know how the majority of the fan base feels.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2021, 03:33:06 PM »
Pilarz and Williams started the death.  Recent admin finished the job.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2021, 08:33:52 AM »
1987-89 was worse than this.  By a long shot.  We hadn't been in the NCAAs for awhile, just joined what is now the Horizon Conference, and had a bad coach.

I began my Marquette tenure with the 1987-88 team.  That season was at the MECCA.  At least we had the Bradley Center to look forward to in 88-89.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2021, 08:39:00 AM »
Cords is a clown?

Cords didn't hire Dukiet, but he did hire O'Neil and Crean.  Cords got us into the MCC for sure, but he also got us out of there and into the Great Midwest, CUSA and eventually the BE.
My bad.  I stand corrected on Cords... he hired Deane but not Dukiet.  Neither is one to be proud of, however.

As mentioned by another post, the "athletic board" was really the problem (my source was on the board at the time) however there was little/no respect for Cords but a lot of kissing up to maintain their prestigious position on the board, and reverse kissing a__ by Bill to keep his job.  It was all very dysfunctional. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2021, 11:46:41 AM »
My bad.  I stand corrected on Cords... he hired Deane but not Dukiet.  Neither is one to be proud of, however.

As mentioned by another post, the "athletic board" was really the problem (my source was on the board at the time) however there was little/no respect for Cords but a lot of kissing up to maintain their prestigious position on the board, and reverse kissing a__ by Bill to keep his job.  It was all very dysfunctional.

Deane wasn't great and his firing was justified but he took us to two NCAA tournaments (actually winning a game!) and one conference title.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2021, 12:02:14 PM »
Deane wasn't great and his firing was justified but he took us to two NCAA tournaments (actually winning a game!) and one conference title.

Better hire than Wojo and also fired sooner than Wojo.  The fact that Wojo has produced so little and been here so long is mind boggling.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2021, 12:13:22 PM »
I know that Deane had to go, but I have a hard time hating on the guy.  I thought his teams were well-prepared and played to their potential.  Granted, the players were O'Neill recruits, but he kept them and had success that we can only dream of now.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2021, 12:34:47 PM »
Krunti Hester.

Mitchell, Jones, Aidoo.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2021, 12:53:07 PM »
Krunti Hester.

Mitchell, Jones, Aidoo.

You hear about all these great Wojo recruits year after year yet the team just keeps trending in the wrong direction.  You can throw out all the recruit names you want but that’s meaningless unless it translates into success.  Deane’s teans had more success overall than Wojo’s but that still wasn’t good enough to keep  Deane here yet we’re perfectly happy with Wojo’s continued ineptitude.  Times have certainly changed.

StateStreetMission

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2021, 01:07:13 PM »
You hear about all these great Wojo recruits year after year yet the team just keeps trending in the wrong direction.  You can throw out all the recruit names you want but that’s meaningless unless it translates into success.  Deane’s teans had more success overall than Wojo’s but that still wasn’t good enough to keep  Deane here yet we’re perfectly happy with Wojo’s continued ineptitude.  Times have certainly changed.

Staying the course for another year should not be confused with “perfectly happy”.
I’m not too sure you can identify any recent posters or University officials that are publicly taking that position.
If a contract extension is granted, it will be for reasons other than “ a job well done”. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2021, 01:11:37 PM »

I don't think there are many here who think that Wojo should continue as the coach at Marquette.  Most of us are simply resigned to the fact that he will be.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2021, 01:29:38 PM »
I said 2014-15 because that team was worse than this one and had less future promise on the roster, or at least it seemed that way at the time.

The Dukiet era was worse than either.  Kevin O'Neill can never get enough credit for pulling is out of the abyss, as far as I'm concerned.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2021, 02:02:22 PM »

Trajectory under Deane was always negative. Trajectory under Wojo was positive until 2/12/20. It's been so bad since then that a change would be justified
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2021, 02:05:38 PM »
Trajectory under Deane was always negative. Trajectory under Wojo was positive until 2/12/20. It's been so bad since then that a change would be justified

*In your opinion* the trajectory has been bad since 2/12/20.  You’re stating that like it’s a fact.  I’d say the downward spiral started almost exactly one year prior to the date you mentioned, when MU began its first of what would become an annual late season collapse.

But again, you’re stating the 2/12/20 thing like it’s a fact.  It’s not.  It’s your opinion.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2021, 02:22:59 PM »
*In your opinion* the trajectory has been bad since 2/12/20.  You’re stating that like it’s a fact.  I’d say the downward spiral started almost exactly one year prior to the date you mentioned, when MU began its first of what would become an annual late season collapse.

But again, you’re stating the 2/12/20 thing like it’s a fact.  It’s not.  It’s your opinion.

Sure it's an opinion. An educated one backed by facts instead of emotion.

On 2/11/20 we were 17-6, had won 6 of our last seven games, with the one loss being in OT on the road to a top 25 teams and were being projected as a 4 - 6 seed by most bracketolgists. We were ranked 23rd in KenPom, which was higher than we were ever ranked in the previous year. We were projected as a favorite in 6 out of our 7 remaining games and projected to go 5-2 down the stretch. Recruiting looked good at that point too with three four stars signed up, including a burger boy. It was the height of the Wojo era....and the fall from there to now has been spectacularly bad in a very short amount of time.

We took a step back at the end of Year 5 but we rose past it in the beginning of Year 6. Despite Hausergate, we were on track to exceed Year 5 until 2/12/20.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 02:25:12 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2021, 02:30:47 PM »
Wojo needs Mike Deane as an assistant on the bench?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2021, 03:50:46 PM »
Wojo needs Mike Deane as an assistant on the bench?

As long as Deane brings his seatbelt, I'm on board!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.