'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:41:27 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dominic James Senior Season?  (Read 3512 times)

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
Dominic James Senior Season?
« on: February 07, 2008, 05:08:53 PM »
I would assume the obivous answer with the way he's been playing is that a certain Dominic James will in fact be back next season. What's everyone think? Stay or Go? Good or bad for the team?
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

bma725

• All American
Re: Dominic James Senior Season?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 05:28:16 PM »
I hate to keep spreading it but the rumor going around is that he's as good as gone.  It's apparently been going around campus for awhile, I first heard it when I heard Marcus Jackson and Terry Sanders talk about it after the USF game, and I checked with some people that are fairly connected to the program and they all agree.  But its not a basketball based decision, he's not delusional about his skills.  The story goes that it doesn't even have anything to do with how he's playing, but he feels that family situations are forcing him to leave school and go earn money as soon as possible.  He apparently felt this way last year too and didn't even want to come back to school but his family talked him into coming back and earning his degree since he is on pace to graduate early.  But now his mind is set on getting out there and making money and he doesn't care about possibly staying and improving draft status.  He'll go wherever as long as he's making money. 

How true it is, I don't know.  But I've had enough people that should know say that's whats going on that I tend to believe it.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 05:38:16 PM »
A monetary issue?  DJ will not make any money playing b-ball in the U.S. next year. With the NBADL, if he gets invited to that, he would probably make more money working at Walmart.   He is even taking a chance at this point of catching on with a European level team.  I hope he stays.

tomcrean4pres

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 05:59:43 PM »
he will catch on with a Euro team. If Chris Grimm can be playing in a Euro league DJ will also.  I would assume if he is leaving though his goal is not to go to Europe, It would be to go to the NBA in some fashion. If he could make it that would be good for him even if it isn't a starting role i believe Mr. Novak is making good money to basically sit on the bench
***Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid. ***

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 06:04:50 PM »
There are hundreds of leagues in every corner of the globe where DJ could earn 6 figures easily for the next 10-15 years of his life.  The top-level Euro clubs would be a stretch, but there are a ton of other opportunities.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 06:29:19 PM »
Novak was a high second round draft pick in the NBA, therefore the high salary and his seat on the bench.  Houston sent him to NBADL to work on his defense and non-shooting skills.  I believe second round picks are non-guareented contracts.  I do not believe DJ will be drafted even in the second round.   If he says he wants to assist his family, he should not play overseas and forward money monthly via Western Union and be so far away from his family.  Use his degree, work on his Masters at MU and be competitive in whatever field he wants to pursue. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 06:36:18 PM »
Novak was a high second round draft pick in the NBA, therefore the high salary and his seat on the bench.  Houston sent him to NBADL to work on his defense and non-shooting skills.  I believe second round picks are non-guareented contracts.  I do not believe DJ will be drafted even in the second round.   If he says he wants to assist his family, he should not play overseas and forward money monthly via Western Union and be so far away from his family.  Use his degree, work on his Masters at MU and be competitive in whatever field he wants to pursue. 

A communications master! Yikes!

nyg

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 06:43:07 PM »
Your right, the heck with the Masters pursuit.  Playing PG on a team in Singapore is a better option for his family issues.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 07:14:39 PM »

he is a basketball player. any athlete will tell you that even if you have some hope you go for it while you can. DJ is a talented player, if nothing else more athletic than most of the players on the court at any level, or just as athletic in the NBA (unlike steve and travis mind you). above all this is his dream, and i know theres a practicality aspect to it, but he needs to follow his dream while he can. The masters degree will always be there for him, but a career playing the sport he loves and the one hes been working on his whole life wont. And dont forget, we arent talking about an average player foolishly following a dream.....im waiting for it and the first person to say he is average has instantly lost all credability to me

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 07:22:28 PM »

he is a basketball player. any athlete will tell you that even if you have some hope you go for it while you can. DJ is a talented player, if nothing else more athletic than most of the players on the court at any level, or just as athletic in the NBA (unlike steve and travis mind you). above all this is his dream, and i know theres a practicality aspect to it, but he needs to follow his dream while he can. The masters degree will always be there for him, but a career playing the sport he loves and the one hes been working on his whole life wont. And dont forget, we arent talking about an average player foolishly following a dream.....im waiting for it and the first person to say he is average has instantly lost all credability to me

He's above average. But he has been playing well below his average for awhile now. Doing that will continue to hurt, 'his dreams'. Which leads to...

People have been calling DJ a headcase for awhile now, but looking at his decline last season and this season he hits a rough spot. However, he has trouble overcoming that rough spot, and he seems to get himself into a 'mental funk'. With that 'mental funk' comes some poor performances. Then he finally breaks out of it, but still not the way he played earlier in the season.

4everwarriors

• All American
Are We Watching The Same Player?
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 07:29:06 PM »
I understand hopes and dreams. Its the American dream to work toward your goals and accomplish them. And, don't take my criticism out of context because I'm not knocking the person. But, as a D1 point guard, he's nothing special. Yes DJ is athletic and can jump, but so could Artie Green and many others. Facts are that as a 5'10" player who doesn't shoot particularly well, pass particularly well, or run the offense or play D or knock down free throws with any consistency, he's just ordinary. Can he make a living in basketball? To coin a familiar phase, "without a doubt." But not in the Association.

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

nyg

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 07:35:45 PM »
DJ has outstanding athletic skills and is definitely not average, but as we know the last two seasons have been rough for him after the publicity of his exceptional freshman year performance. I hope he can achieve his ultimate goal/dream of playing professional basketball, but my opinion as to why he won't get drafted is a game of numbers.  There are just too many outstanding point guards in college and in Europe awaiting to place their names on the eligibility draft list.  Some off the top, while I type  include Derrick Rose, Jerralyd Bayless, Nick Collison, Ty Lawson, D.J. Augustin, Brian Roberts, Sean Singeltary, and after watching Johnnie Flynn of Syracuse last night, he could go. If Europe is the only option that meets the requirements for his family, then do it.  As stated previously, I want him to stay and return for his senior year.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 07:36:28 PM »
There are hundreds of leagues in every corner of the globe where DJ could earn 6 figures easily for the next 10-15 years of his life.  The top-level Euro clubs would be a stretch, but there are a ton of other opportunities.

Exactly, go the route of Charlie Bell.

Play overseas, continue to develop his game, all while getting paid.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 08:09:57 PM »
The grocery store down the street from me is hiring.  Not a chance in hell DJ goes to the NBA.

Doctor V

• All American
Re: Are We Watching The Same Player?
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 12:02:08 AM »
I understand hopes and dreams. Its the American dream to work toward your goals and accomplish them. And, don't take my criticism out of context because I'm not knocking the person. But, as a D1 point guard, he's nothing special. Yes DJ is athletic and can jump, but so could Artie Green and many others. Facts are that as a 5'10" player who doesn't shoot particularly well, pass particularly well, or run the offense or play D or knock down free throws with any consistency, he's just ordinary. Can he make a living in basketball? To coin a familiar phase, "without a doubt." But not in the Association.

hes just ordinary? im not gonna even discuss that. doesnt pass particularly well, run the offense well, play D??? you must not be watching the same game as me. DJ is an exceptional passer- by far the best on the team and one of the best in college basketball, and exceptional defender- again id say just as good as McNeal and for his size definitely underrated on that side of the ball, and can run a team just fine- he has shown this in the past and again this year, even though he can be inconsistent

ive said this repeatedly and i stand by it- the only way this team accomplished its goals is if it is run through DJ. he should ALWAYS run the point when in the game, he should touch the ball and create on every possession, and he should be given much more freedom than he is given so that everyone else on the team can fall into a complimentary niche

dont take this to mean that he should jack up shots, because he does that when he is playing 'the 2' and coming off screens and shooting bail-out. I mean he should drive to the lane and dish, start plays, finish plays when he can on the drive

tom crean going to this whole 7 guard system with everyone trying to create for themselves has hurt this team

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 12:19:46 AM »
he should drive to the lane and dish, start plays, finish plays when he can on the drive

I love watching the guy blow past defenders, and I love seeing him make those bullet passes to Ooze underneath (regardless of what Ooze does with them, not taking anything away from his offensive performance of late). Like you said, that is EXACTLY what DJ should do. If he shoots more than 3 3s a game, he's not doing his job.

I don't recall DJ playing much of the 2 this season. Seems he and Mo are rarely the floor at the same time, with either one playing the point.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 12:45:24 AM »
I don't recall DJ playing much of the 2 this season. Seems he and Mo are rarely the floor at the same time, with either one playing the point.
what i took from that is james plays like a shooting guard many times. often it is ill advised. even when james is the clear pg due to the lineup, he tries to play the role of the sg.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 12:56:31 AM »

I think he's special. The more I think about his struggles this year, the more I realize HE IS a true point guard. He's on a team with big men that have trouble catching the ball and guards that aren't very good at shooting. That's not a great way to display your talents. He's a very dangerous player when the court is spread and he's up against one defender. The problem is that he is constantly facing zone defenses so the middle is jammed with defenders trying to stop the one way our team can score. There's a reason DJ was spectacular his freshman year and struggles now. His name is Steve Novak and he can 23-foot jumpers. In the NBA, there are shooters, there are dominating post players, and when you pair them up with a lightning quick point guard with good vision....well, good things will happen.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 08:31:20 AM »
Money is money. As long as he's getting paid it won't matter where it comes from. He has a limited window to earn a living playing basketball, and I would not begrudge him the opportunity to earn a living playing basketball. No matter where it is. Given how close DJ was to leaving last year, I would not be surprised to see him leave this year. But who knows? Maybe he stays for his senior year. Stranger things have happened and the kid is not dumb. He'll make a good decision. Ultimately only he knows what's best for him and his family. I trust Crean will give him solid advice.
We Are Marquette

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 09:02:30 AM »

I have been saying this for three years. He's got certain exceptional athletic skills, but he's not an exceptional basketball player. I think the Marquette hype machine has done him (and Jerel and Wesley) a disservice as the fans have come to expect him to fill it up every night and he's just not capable of doing so.

James is not an NBA player.

MarqGold17

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 09:29:10 AM »
If DJ does leave, do we think he's good enough to move us into the "Patrick Ewing Theory" for next year?

My hypothesis is that if DJ leaves then MU can play much more cohesively. I had this discussion with some roommates last night and it became pretty dynamic. I'm interested to hear what you guys have to say.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 09:45:37 AM »
I would say no to the "Ewing Theory" because MU is adding some significate newcomers next year that will hopefully make a difference. Trevor, Otule and Fulce should make a real impact in terms of defense and rebounding.

It is possible that MU may be better next year, but IMO it will be from improve play in the paint provide by the newcomers.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 09:56:29 AM »
I would say no to the "Ewing Theory" because MU is adding some significate newcomers next year that will hopefully make a difference. Trevor, Otule and Fulce should make a real impact in terms of defense and rebounding.

It is possible that MU may be better next year, but IMO it will be from improve play in the paint provide by the newcomers.

I agree. I just can't see the loss of DJ, in and of itself (not considering # of scholarships available, incoming players, etc.), making our team better.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 12:56:30 PM »
Was anyone watching the first 5 minutes of the 'ville game with Acker at the point?   And you can still ask if MU will be better without DJ.    This team needs a healthy, confident DJ.   Next year, who knows?   If the incoming class and Mbakwe live up their hype, the whole team will be dynamically different.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 01:32:17 PM »
ive said this repeatedly and i stand by it- the only way this team accomplished its goals is if it is run through DJ. he should ALWAYS run the point when in the game, he should touch the ball and create on every possession, and he should be given much more freedom than he is given so that everyone else on the team can fall into a complimentary niche

[/quote]

we all saw the last 2 mins of the game and there are 2 things that baffle me: 1- why dont we press against some of the bigger teams with few good ball handlers? 2- why on earth does TC not isolate DJ in the spread offense more often?? the guy can beat most defensers off the dribble and get into the lane, and when he gets there he usually makes the right decision on finishes, unlike many others....i will NEVER understand it

feedback