[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Limbaugh dead  (Read 32762 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Limbaugh dead
« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2021, 12:42:47 PM »
That's just the first 3 pages on here.  That's not counting the number of people spewing hateful comments on the rest of the internet.  If it makes you feel better to be hateful to someone who died,  it's your right to do so. But I don't get it.

I think we have different definitions of hateful. Yours here seems to be:
Making racist and bigoted comments = not hateful.
Pointing out that someone made racist and bigoted comments = super hateful.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not celebrating his death. But I'm not interested in lionizing him or whitewashing his past on account of his death.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 01:03:04 PM by Pakuni »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2021, 12:43:53 PM »
I don't celebrate his death.  Not my style.

I do take issue with those celebrating his life.

It has nothing to do with politics. I went to watch George Bushs funeral procession. I was deeply saddened when other leaders like McCain and Reagan passed away. It has everything to do with the hate Limbaugh spewed.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2021, 12:52:17 PM »
I don't celebrate his death.  Not my style.

I do take issue with those celebrating his life.

It has nothing to do with politics. I went to watch George Bushs funeral procession. I was deeply saddened when other leaders like McCain and Reagan passed away. It has everything to do with the hate Limbaugh spewed.

Yep.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2021, 12:52:48 PM »
Just a blip in the universe. He was likely loved by his family and truly meant something to them. That’s a sad thought for me and anyone else who has lost a loved one.

For me, vilifying him in his death is akin to raising a statue for someone after death as some sort of reverence. Neither are particularly helpful nor necessary.

Let no man bring you so low as to hate him...as it were.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2021, 12:58:41 PM »
Just a blip in the universe. He was likely loved by his family and truly meant something to them. That’s a sad thought for me and anyone else who has lost a loved one.

I'm sure at least some of his wives loved him..., at least for a while.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2021, 01:15:01 PM »
I think we have different definitions of hateful. Yours here seems to be:
Making racist and bigoted comments = not hateful.
Pointing out that someone made racist and bigoted comments = super hateful.
Quite the leap you made there.   

First, I didn't say nor did I imply that making racist and bigoted comments isn't hateful. 

Second, point out someone's racist and bigoted comments all you want. If you or anyone else wants to say Rush was a hateful, bigoted, a$$hat, that's your prerogative.  But that wasn't my point.

Like Goose and others have said, I just don't get the need for some to react to someone's passing by celebrating the fact that the person died. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #156 on: February 18, 2021, 01:16:06 PM »

For me, vilifying him in his death is akin to raising a statue for someone after death as some sort of reverence. Neither are particularly helpful nor necessary.

Let no man bring you so low as to hate him...as it were.
Yep.

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #157 on: February 18, 2021, 01:17:35 PM »
So because you celebrate death, it'd be apropos for someone to celebrate when you die?  That's a bizarre way to look at life and death, and I hope no one chooses to do that, but to each his own. 

And a serial killer is completely different than someone who was on the radio.  I know you say Rush wasn't Dahmer, but the analogy isn't even close.  Why is this so difficult for some to understand?

If people want to celebrate my death for the things I've done over my lifetime that is their decision.  I won't know because I'll be dead.  If the worst thing I ever did is celebrate the death of Rush Limbaugh then I doubt anyone would take notice.

And to be clear, I'm not throwing some party, I just think he was as bad of an American as there has been.  Good riddance to bad rubbish.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #158 on: February 18, 2021, 01:22:30 PM »
I'm not celebrating his death.  But conservatives love to hide behind the line of "why do you need to hate someone if you don't agree with their politics?"  The hate for Limbaugh has nothing to do with his politics.  It has to do with being a horrible human being.

I don't recall a thread "celebrating" the death of John McCain on Scoop in 2018.  Maybe it has nothing to do with political party.

But yeah.  Let's compare Limbaugh to RBG some more.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #159 on: February 18, 2021, 01:31:46 PM »
I'm not celebrating his death.  But conservatives love to hide behind the line of "why do you need to hate someone if you don't agree with their politics?"  The hate for Limbaugh has nothing to do with his politics.  It has to do with being a horrible human being.

I don't recall a thread "celebrating" the death of John McCain on Scoop in 2018.  Maybe it has nothing to do with political party.

But yeah.  Let's compare Limbaugh to RBG some more.

This is interesting. I don’t think pointing out that someone made hateful, racist, insensitive comments (regardless of whether he meant it or was a good marketer, or both) is celebrating his death. Maybe some do, trying to find the disconnect.

Additionally, I think it’s nearly all about politics. If Rush didn’t say what he said and seem to speak to “one side” of the “political game” he would just be another late afternoon drive time AM radio host. I actually think the hate is nearly all related to his politics. If we start calling out all the insensitive, racist, hateful commenters, then maybe it becomes less about the politics.

Lighthouse 84

• All American

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #161 on: February 18, 2021, 01:43:56 PM »
Interesting read posted by John Kass:

https://spectator.us/topic/people-gloating-over-rush-limbaugh-death/?fbclid=IwAR0AqLmn9hrEMbizdCk2Q-d3kXl03iGFIZTSqUXGgmqwPRAGTjujquJODN0

The Headline says it all:

Why are people gloating over Rush Limbaugh’s death?

Political divisions have crushed our sense of decency

/r/leopardsatemyface content

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #162 on: February 18, 2021, 01:57:34 PM »

https://spectator.us/topic/people-gloating-over-rush-limbaugh-death/?fbclid=IwAR0AqLmn9hrEMbizdCk2Q-d3kXl03iGFIZTSqUXGgmqwPRAGTjujquJODN0

It isn't about politics or political divisions.

It's about publicly saying and doing vile, terrible things on a daily basis for personal gain. (Many documented examples listed here). You act as though he was just some blow radio personality without accountability. But hate and lies have consequences, especially when one does that daily for decades.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2021, 02:11:52 PM »

I don't think Rush is a particularly good example of this.  He was an inflammatory shock jock, not a politician or political operative. 

Someone like John McCain is a better one.  Scoop didn't cheer his death, but plenty of idiots like those cited in the article did.  Everyone's favorite curmudgeon Drew Magary wrote a piece after his death that was basically like "Don't celebrate McCain as an American hero, he was a POS" and then basically just talked about his politics with venom. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2021, 02:15:04 PM »
I don't think Rush is a particularly good example of this.  He was an inflammatory shock jock, not a politician or political operative. 

Someone like John McCain is a better one.  Scoop didn't cheer his death, but plenty of idiots like those cited in the article did.  Everyone's favorite curmudgeon Drew Magary wrote a piece after his death that was basically like "Don't celebrate McCain as an American hero, he was a POS" and then basically just talked about his politics with venom.

There's 7billion people who are going to have an opinion, you're always going to be able to find "plenty of idiots". The difference is how many and if it's warranted.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2021, 02:28:27 PM »
There's 7billion people who are going to have an opinion, you're always going to be able to find "plenty of idiots". The difference is how many and if it's warranted.

Sure but the difference is when it’s coming from people with hundreds of thousands of followers and a platform/writing outlets versus “SteelersFan94” and their 25 followers or other countless Twitter eggs.  Those people, like Jay Cutler says, WHOOOO CARRRRREESSS.   It’s more when it’s prominent writers, members of the media, etc...

Dancing on someone’s grave like Rush may be a bit distasteful, but I don’t care too much. The tenor of that article has a point otherwise, just not in this case.  But that’s another discussion entirely.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2021, 02:30:02 PM »

Especially interesting given the trajectory of Kass' writing in recent years.
Perhaps a guy who's floated "George Soros is an evil puppetmaster" conspiracy theories isn't the one to tsk tsk others over their sense of decency.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2021, 02:51:14 PM »

People like Drew are why democrats lose.  He blames other democrats for not being far enough left and is unwilling to meet with, much less compromise with those he disagrees with.  I like Drew’s stuff but he’s an insufferable lout in this regard
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2021, 03:08:30 PM »
Please don't give Kass the page views. He has really gone off the deep end the past 5-10 years, seeing all sorts of things in the shadows that do not exist and then passing them on to his readers. His trending towards Q status. His articles tend to be part fiction and non-fiction.

As to Rush, TAMU is spot on. Sorry for the family's loss but glad he is off the radio.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2021, 04:08:26 PM »
Quite the leap you made there.   

First, I didn't say nor did I imply that making racist and bigoted comments isn't hateful. 

Second, point out someone's racist and bigoted comments all you want. If you or anyone else wants to say Rush was a hateful, bigoted, a$$hat, that's your prerogative.  But that wasn't my point.

Like Goose and others have said, I just don't get the need for some to react to someone's passing by celebrating the fact that the person died.

I understand your point, even though I may not particularly agree with it on a personal level. That is fine, we can agree to disagree and I think the point you made is thoughtful.

My issue is still not one person who came into this thread to complain about the decency of those who have criticized him here have had the balls to address any of the abhorrent quotes that were listed, despite many requests.

All that says to me is that they agree with those quotes, unless they would like to prove many of us wrong. And that sucks.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2021, 04:27:45 PM »
I was gonna eulogize him, but this one is perfect from Rudy.

https://twitter.com/peltzmadeline/status/1362512103660265475?s=21

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2021, 04:33:14 PM »
I was gonna eulogize him, but this one is perfect from Rudy.

https://twitter.com/peltzmadeline/status/1362512103660265475?s=21

I'm not sure that story says much, if anything, about Rush, but it certainly says...something...about Rudy.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #172 on: February 18, 2021, 04:46:14 PM »

This is the crux, the root of the root. Celebrating, cheering, jumping for joy over someone’s death is indefensible and wrong. Period. No matter if he/she said bad things or, worse yet, did bad things. Even if you honestly feel (serial killer, etc.) that they deserved to die.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #173 on: February 18, 2021, 04:53:10 PM »
This is the crux, the root of the root. Celebrating, cheering, jumping for joy over someone’s death is indefensible and wrong. Period. No matter if he/she said bad things or, worse yet, did bad things. Even if you honestly feel (serial killer, etc.) that they deserved to die.

I was happy when Osama bin Laden got got.
Defensible and right.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #174 on: February 18, 2021, 04:53:25 PM »
ZaLin

There is no doubt that Rush said some mean, nasty things over the years and everyone can/should be offended. I would not argue that point one bit. As for me, I spent a tremendous amount of time in the car for two plus decades ago and often listened to Rush. To me, he was an entertainer first and conservative talk host second. I did not agree with every word that came out of his and often cringed when he said things. I can say the same for Howard Stern who also provided hundreds of hours of entertainment to me.

Truthfully, I could not care less about the hate being thrown his way, only do not understand the level of hatred towards the man. I have zero idea if he was a good man offset, only know he was loyal and gave away a lot of money without any fanfare. He might be have been the jagoff that many believe he was and I still would not be dancing on his grave. Again, I hate cancer and Hitler.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 04:55:06 PM by Goose »

feedback