[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[June 08, 2024, 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: My personal player wish list  (Read 1864 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
My personal player wish list
« on: February 15, 2021, 07:25:14 PM »
1)  Switchables/Guys that are 6'6-6'8 that can defend multiple positions and with the potential to be in the Lazar, Jimmy, Jae, Jamil, Mikail Bridges mold.

2) A pure PG or a kid with supreme handles.  A.K.A. zoomability off the bounce.  They don't need to be Iverson but someone in the Peyton Siva ballpark.

3)  A glue/jyd type dude. Someone that will dive on the floor, take charges, get to the long rebs, agitate, be a human version of a mosquito.

4)  Mincers of the Mesh/spot shooters.  This team is piss poor at draining the open J.  Preferably guys in the 6'2-6'6 range.  If Howard and Rowsey were not mighty mites and normal sized we could have been super dangerous.

5)  Attackers with physicality and elevation.  I like guys that can get to the rim and make things happen.  The amount of chippies we have missed this year is incalculable.  Again, they don't have to be Wade or Donovan Mitchell, but find guys with quicks that can throw it down or get 2 FT's.  Right now we are behind in every category.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: My personal player wish list
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 07:29:55 PM »
Muggsy
This wish list describes all of Als teams. It was a lot of fun back in those
Days.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 07:30:20 PM »
I want a nine man rotation. 
Three 6'9+ guys.   One a true post, two stretch 4's who are long and quick.

Two 6'2- 6'3 PGs

Four interchangeable wings in the 6'5-6'7 range.

Some shooters, some slashers, interchangeable defenders who get out and run.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 07:48:35 PM »
Oh, sew ewe want essentially da Lakers, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 07:49:35 PM »
Muggsy
This wish list describes all of Als teams. It was a lot of fun back in those
Days.

Before my time Herman but have seen a lot of video.  I was beyond fortunate to spend my college days in Milwaukee with a packed BC, watching Wade eviscerate dudes, while Diener conducted virtuoso performances.  And we all know the joy of the amigos and the back to back to back Buzz-led S16's with the Elite 8.  What a tremendous tourney Vander and company had in 2013.  That Butler game is always a go-to when I'm feeling down

We have lost our place Herman, it's really catastrophically sad.  To think during the Al years this was the #2 team in the country made me proud and optimistic we could get back to this position. 

Right now it's an absolute dumpster fire, WTF??  This is no time for complacency.  Get a coach/ad/administration that understands the historic greatness of this MU program.  Get back on track quickly and send the Brinks truck to the kind of candidates that can bring us back to the promised land.   

To hear MU fans essentially throwing in the towel is indescribably upsetting.  This program SHOULD be a pillar of the BEast conference and in the thick of making a deep run every year.  Expectations should be high and MU fans have be extraordinarily patient.  Let's figure this out and move quickly towards greatness.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 08:12:33 PM »
Oh, sew ewe want essentially da Lakers, hey?

Fair point.  Boy......the amount of work we must do is off the charts.

muspc2

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 01:25:15 PM »
    I like the way you think Muggsy, but the Lakers comment in this thread seems more realistic. Perhaps back when WOJO was playing at Duke it could "select" rather than "recruit' from the top 50-75 on a yearly basis to fill in their roster which would approximate your wish list. Unfortunately, with WOJO the MU coach for 7 years we are at a point that we are lucky to get any top fifty talent regardless of position in any given year. Let's not forget that Ellenson and the Hausers were from Wisconsin and may have had other reasons to stay home rather than a strong desire to play for WOJO. I hate to go way back to Al for any comparison, but if the program were in similar shape would the recent Wisconsin top talent that has gone elsewhere have brushed off MU. Even the few one and done players may have stayed home to play in the Fiserv for their short time if the overall program was not such a disaster.   WOJO has almost exclusively ridden what talent (eg. Markus Howard) MU was able to attract to basically do/save his job. This year it seems to be pray that MU is somehow close at the end, and that DJ is able to throw down a couple last minute dunks to steal a win from lesser teams. Assuming WOJO is not going to be the MU coach in the next year or so, it might be more MU relevant to hope that the next coach (who will be almost starting from scratch) can teach offensive and defensive fundamentals (eg. basic ball handling, passing and staying between your man and the basket on defense) to the 3* and 4* players he can reasonably expect to attract to a "down" program. Then perhaps the next coach can attract players similar to your wish list, albeit much more athletically and vertically challenged, who might lead to attracting your ideals in the not too distant future.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 03:44:51 PM »
    I like the way you think Muggsy, but the Lakers comment in this thread seems more realistic. Perhaps back when WOJO was playing at Duke it could "select" rather than "recruit' from the top 50-75 on a yearly basis to fill in their roster which would approximate your wish list. Unfortunately, with WOJO the MU coach for 7 years we are at a point that we are lucky to get any top fifty talent regardless of position in any given year. Let's not forget that Ellenson and the Hausers were from Wisconsin and may have had other reasons to stay home rather than a strong desire to play for WOJO. I hate to go way back to Al for any comparison, but if the program were in similar shape would the recent Wisconsin top talent that has gone elsewhere have brushed off MU. Even the few one and done players may have stayed home to play in the Fiserv for their short time if the overall program was not such a disaster.   WOJO has almost exclusively ridden what talent (eg. Markus Howard) MU was able to attract to basically do/save his job. This year it seems to be pray that MU is somehow close at the end, and that DJ is able to throw down a couple last minute dunks to steal a win from lesser teams. Assuming WOJO is not going to be the MU coach in the next year or so, it might be more MU relevant to hope that the next coach (who will be almost starting from scratch) can teach offensive and defensive fundamentals (eg. basic ball handling, passing and staying between your man and the basket on defense) to the 3* and 4* players he can reasonably expect to attract to a "down" program. Then perhaps the next coach can attract players similar to your wish list, albeit much more athletically and vertically challenged, who might lead to attracting your ideals in the not too distant future.

I agree with your overall point.  Fundamentally this team has been pretty much a disaster for years, especially defensively.  I would like a teacher type coach to work out these issues moving forward.  I may be getting ahead of myself with specific athletic traits of recruits.  We all know how much work needs to be done on the horizon. 

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 03:52:26 PM »
My personal player wishlist: guys that aren't bad at basketball.