Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How would you coach Garcia?  (Read 7912 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
How would you coach Garcia?
« on: February 15, 2021, 07:07:47 PM »
He has.a number of very positive attributes but isn't a premium athlete.  He needs to become far more polished to make it to the NBA.  Yesterday he (and Wojo) had absolutely no answers dealing with the length of SH.  Once he missed a few threes he became tentative and ineffective.  If you were coaching DG what would you be working on (excluding the 3 pt shot)  to move him towards becoming a viable NBA player? 

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: How would you coach Garcia?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 07:13:51 PM »
Hate to say it, but watching UVA vs Florida St., Sam's game has improved 100% since he left here. And yes, I realize he has years of experience over Garcia. Woj fooked up the entire Hauser fiasco, major, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 07:16:57 PM »
He has.a number of very positive attributes but isn't a premium athlete.  He needs to become far more polished to make it to the NBA.  Yesterday he (and Wojo) had absolutely no answers dealing with the length of SH.  Once he missed a few threes he became tentative and ineffective.  If you were coaching DG what would you be working on (excluding the 3 pt shot)  to move him towards becoming a viable NBA player?

He is not an elite athlete, but he is athletic enough.

1. add strength
2. work on low post moves. If Theo can add a jump hook, so can Garcia. A 6'-10' turnaround jumper would add greatly to his game, as well.

He has a solid 3 point shot. He needs to add variety with his inside game.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 07:18:00 PM »
Weight room.  An off-season with actual conditioning and quickness work.   Skilled.   Needs to be stronger and move better.

Yeah, that year off to get over the hip surgery helped Sam.

Still an adequate at best defender.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 07:22:53 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 07:21:27 PM »
Hate to say it, but watching UVA vs Florida St., Sam's game has improved 100% since he left here. And yes, I realize he has years of experience over Garcia. Woj fooked up the entire Hauser fiasco, major, hey?

He has his lowest offensive rating of his college career at Virginia, albeit still quite good. The only thing he’s significantly better at is committing less fouls.  He’s also 23, much older than a lot of his competition
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 07:30:47 PM »
Yeah I’ve watched Sam play a number of times and don’t notice much improvement.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 07:31:16 PM »
I am a believer in improving strengths first and  then weaknesses. To me Garcia is not a good low post player, but they keep force feeding him in the low post. Work on developing quickness, strength and play him where he will perform the best which to me is high post, and wing. Let him shoot the 3 and mid range, he is a decent passer and good at taking his guy off the dribble from the wing.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 07:31:56 PM »
I think he needs to slow down and focus on the post game.  Clearly strength would help the young man.   Can he add a fadeaway in the mid-post?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 07:32:02 PM »
He is not an elite athlete, but he is athletic enough.

1. add strength
2. work on low post moves. If Theo can add a jump hook, so can Garcia. A 6'-10' turnaround jumper would add greatly to his game, as well.

He has a solid 3 point shot. He needs to add variety with his inside game.

This. Strength and better moves inside.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 07:32:35 PM »
6 points 32 minutes into a butt kicking by a long, athletic team.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 07:37:49 PM »

Pray that it's not Richard Pitino doing the "coaching".

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 07:38:22 PM »
Garcia gets off the floor slowly and has limited elevation. He needs to be a body position player which requires savvy and takes longer to develop.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 07:38:58 PM »
He’s the exact same player. Spot up shooter and good rebounder in his area. Bad individual defender.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2021, 07:40:28 PM »
He’s the exact same player. Spot up shooter and good rebounder in his area. Bad individual defender.

Virginia’s scheme hides his individual flaws as a defender but that’s a definite credit to their staff for putting him in a better position something that would not have happened here

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 07:41:16 PM »
Virginia’s scheme hides his individual flaws as a defender but that’s a definite credit to their staff for putting him in a better position something that would not have happened here
True.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 07:42:50 PM »
Could be Player of the Year in the ACC, though, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 07:44:15 PM »

???

Did you watch todays game?? Sam is scoring in garbage time but hes getting absolutely flummoxed by a team with FSU length and athleticism. They are picking on him on D(like Gonzaga did with Kispert and Timme) and Sam had like 2 shot attempts til the game was 25 pts out of reach.

Sam is a good player, he always has been. But hes basically the same player and this game definitely didnt showcase him.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2021, 07:46:05 PM »
Garcia has Tom Copa Syndrome.
DG is 6’11” and I have yet to see him dunk the ball. If he can turn those layups (oft blocked) into dunks or attempted dunks he will draw fouls and help his cause.
I think he will be gone so after MU, I’m not as interested.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2021, 07:47:13 PM »
Could be Player of the Year in the ACC, though, hey?

He’s not even the Player of the Year on his own team

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2021, 07:48:08 PM »
Feels like they need to do more for him in the high post. It seems like he can get to the basket from there or shoot a jumper.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2021, 07:49:27 PM »
I think he needs to slow down and focus on the post game.  Clearly strength would help the young man.   Can he add a fadeaway in the mid-post?
Why would you focus on post if it is not his strength? Would you have Theo practice as a point guard. There are plenty of 6 10 or 6 11 guys in the nba that aren't post players.  Size shouldn't necessarily dictate where and how someone plays.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2021, 07:52:41 PM »
Why would you focus on post if it is not his strength? Would you have Theo practice as a point guard. There are plenty of 6 10 or 6 11 guys in the nba that aren't post players.  Size shouldn't necessarily dictate where and how someone plays.

Bingo.  A good coach won’t shoehorn him into a position or role because of “size” but instead utilize his skills that he possesses while trying to improve his overall game

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2021, 07:54:53 PM »
Garcia gets off the floor slowly and has limited elevation. He needs to be a body position player which requires savvy and takes longer to develop.

Yes.  But Dirk wasn't exactly Dominique Wilkins.  He has to polish his game Gato and figure out where to score and how to use his body.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2021, 07:58:20 PM »

Okay, but he's 6'10.   Who would be the model for him if he expects to play at the NBA level?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2021, 08:00:46 PM »
Yeah I’ve watched Sam play a number of times and don’t notice much improvement.

He showed me tonight that he is not an elite athlete, no different what I saw at MU. Stats are about the same.  Joey really has not shown much improvement at MSU. If anything Wojo probably should have backed off Joey, same player, both play below the rim. Sam should have stayed

feedback