'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel  (Read 218222 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2021, 09:41:53 AM »
Rumors swirling Archie could be on the outs at IU.  Four consecutive non-winning seasons in the Big Ten.  Buyout would be $10 million.

As mentioned earlier.    Along with Hoosier nation interest in bringing Brad back from the NBA. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2021, 10:53:52 AM »
I wouldn’t want Archie, but that could open up a job or two Wojo would jump to based on who Indiana would hire.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2021, 07:40:16 PM »
Pitino Jr has been told he’s done. Announcement after the season.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2021, 09:11:20 PM »
Pitino Jr has been told he’s done. Announcement after the season.

He’ll do well as an assistant at Iona.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2021, 09:18:01 PM »
Paul Weir out at New Mexico.  I seem to recall that hire being lauded when it was made but then looked up his record prior and it was only 1 year at New Mexico State.

UNM in talks with Tim Miles.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2021, 09:41:30 PM »
UNM in talks with Tim Miles.

Underwhelming hire for them if so. They’ve had some success over the last 30 years, not exactly a dead end program, and a conference with plenty of opportunity.  Miles was just ok at CSU, much less his Nebraska mediocrity.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2021, 09:50:18 PM »
Stevens makes way more sense at ND if Brey goes,  then at Indiana.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2021, 10:51:08 PM »
Stevens makes way more sense at ND if Brey goes,  then at Indiana.

There is no chance that Stevens returns to CBB for a job that isn’t even close to top 5 in its own conference.

Royale

• Walk-On
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2021, 11:19:14 PM »
I wouldn’t want Archie, but that could open up a job or two Wojo would jump to based on who Indiana would hire.

I think Archie would do well in Milwaukee. He was great at Dayton. I still think he's a very good coach. That Indiana job is a pressure-cooker, and they have outsized expectations in Bloomington. I'd be thrilled if he was on the sidelines next year.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2021, 07:33:10 AM »
I think Archie would do well in Milwaukee. He was great at Dayton. I still think he's a very good coach. That Indiana job is a pressure-cooker, and they have outsized expectations in Bloomington. I'd be thrilled if he was on the sidelines next year.
MU isn’t the pressure-squeeze of IU, but MU is a lot more demanding for success than Dayton. Archie, similar to Wojo, has recruited some talent. But, for some reason just has not resulted in wins. Why do you feel AM would have success at Marquette?
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2021, 07:41:15 AM »
MU isn’t the pressure-squeeze of IU, but MU is a lot more demanding for success than Dayton. Archie, similar to Wojo, has recruited some talent. But, for some reason just has not resulted in wins. Why do you feel AM would have success at Marquette?

Miller is living off the Elite 8 run in the mind of some people here and the overall record beyond that is fine but he’s nothing special.  Would he be an upgrade?  Probably but his best KenPom season was last season at Indiana (34).

His best seeding at Dayton was 7.  Anthony Grant would have surpassed that easily last season.  Quite honestly, Anthony Grant or Archie are largely the same in my mind when it comes to a coaching candidate. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2021, 07:43:31 AM »
Yes.  The Brad does not enjoy recruiting.

Neither did Kevin O'Neill. And yet he went back to college when the NBA decided it was done with him.

Stevens, obviously, would have other opportunities in the NBA, so why would he go back to college?

And speaking of K.O. ...

He is the classic example of the grass often not being greener. Marquette was always gonna be a stepping-stone job for him. He always had his eye on bigger prizes, and I guess that's OK. But he not only has struggled elsewhere, he pretty much has been a total failure in every single other head-coaching job he's had.

Look at his record. Marquette was the one and only place K.O. had even a scintilla of success.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2021, 08:24:59 AM »
Neither did Kevin O'Neill. And yet he went back to college when the NBA decided it was done with him.

Stevens, obviously, would have other opportunities in the NBA, so why would he go back to college?

And speaking of K.O. ...

He is the classic example of the grass often not being greener. Marquette was always gonna be a stepping-stone job for him. He always had his eye on bigger prizes, and I guess that's OK. But he not only has struggled elsewhere, he pretty much has been a total failure in every single other head-coaching job he's had.

Look at his record. Marquette was the one and only place K.O. had even a scintilla of success.

Apples to oranges of course, KO and Stevens.

I would add that not liking something, and not being good at it are two different things. KO was a good recruiter at Marquette.

As long as a coach can recruit, and, or, hire a staff that can consistently recruit, that's all that matters when it comes to recruiting and coaching in college.

(Brad Stevens will have his pick of NBA and college jobs. Marquette is not likely in that list.)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2021, 09:05:22 AM »
Apples to oranges of course, KO and Stevens.

I would add that not liking something, and not being good at it are two different things. KO was a good recruiter at Marquette.

As long as a coach can recruit, and, or, hire a staff that can consistently recruit, that's all that matters when it comes to recruiting and coaching in college.

(Brad Stevens will have his pick of NBA and college jobs. Marquette is not likely in that list.)

Of course Stevens isn't coming to Marquette or any other college job.

And of course there's a difference between not liking and not being good at recruiting. Stevens recruited well at Butler, and he would recruit well at a blueblood if he wanted to - but I doubt he wants to. I know for a fact that KO hated recruiting ... because he told me so on more than one occasion.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2021, 09:09:55 AM »
The last time IU had an opening, the faithful were convinced they were getting Billy Donovan.  They even had reports of him getting off a private plane that supposedly came from Oklahoma City. 

So the fact that they think they can now land Brad Stevens doesn't surprise me at all.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2021, 09:26:33 AM »
Of course Stevens isn't coming to Marquette or any other college job.

And of course there's a difference between not liking and not being good at recruiting. Stevens recruited well at Butler, and he would recruit well at a blueblood if he wanted to - but I doubt he wants to. I know for a fact that KO hated recruiting ... because he told me so on more than one occasion.

I'm aware KO didn't/doesn't enjoy recruiting. But what matters is either being good at something you don't enjoy, as was the case with KO, and/or having a staff that can recruit for you in that type of coach. There are many types of coaches, and, many ways to be successful. Some coaches are better recruiters than others. Some like recruiting more than others.

And some coaches prefer other aspects of coaching either in the NBA or college.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2021, 09:27:25 AM »
The Marquette coach is available to go to Indiana.

Worked out well for Hoosierland last time.

(Actually, Archie Miller makes Tom Crean look like Bobby Knight.)

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2021, 10:35:12 AM »
The last time IU had an opening, the faithful were convinced they were getting Billy Donovan.  They even had reports of him getting off a private plane that supposedly came from Oklahoma City. 

So the fact that they think they can now land Brad Stevens doesn't surprise me at all.
Seems like Beilein and IU would be a really good fit.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2021, 10:54:28 AM »
Seems like Beilein and IU would be a really good fit.

Maybe, but I suspect Scott Drew will get a lot of run.  Pat Forde wrote a piece at SI about that potential fit.  Drew has done a wonderful job in Waco.  Not sure what he wants moving forward but there is some sense in that marriage
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2021, 11:27:17 AM »
Maybe, but I suspect Scott Drew will get a lot of run.  Pat Forde wrote a piece at SI about that potential fit.  Drew has done a wonderful job in Waco.  Not sure what he wants moving forward but there is some sense in that marriage

I'm sure IU is ready to return to the Kelvin Sampson days. Then they can hire Wojo to clean it up and return to the Tom Crean days. Full circle!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2021, 11:29:05 AM »
Some rumblings stuff might be going on behind scenes at Wisconsin. Be interesting if anything pops off there

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2021, 11:33:37 AM »
Albany firing their longtime coach, Will Brown. 5 conference titles and NCAA appearance in 20 years at the school. He would make an excellent assistant somewhere (hint, hint...).

Between 2011-12 and 2017-18, Brown's teams never won fewer than 19 games, going 153-83 (.648) in that time. He was the 2015 America East Coach of the Year and the same year was a finalist for the Hugh Durham Award as top mid-major coach. In addition to the five NCAA appearances, Brown led UAlbany to three other postseason appearances: the 2012 and 2016 CollegeInsider.com Tournament and 2016 College Basketball Invitational.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2021, 11:36:18 AM »
Some rumblings stuff might be going on behind scenes at Wisconsin. Be interesting if anything pops off there

??? No way Alvarez is stupid enough to fire a coach with Gards success despite underperforming this year they're still a solid NCAA lock for the 5th time in 6 seasons.
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2021, 11:38:47 AM »
??? No way Alvarez is stupid enough to fire a coach with Gards success despite underperforming this year they're still a solid NCAA lock for the 5th time in 6 seasons.

I see no way they make a move unless something behind the scenes going on. Message board smoke if anything “There is actually some trouble brewing in Madison that i am not at liberty to go into right now.”

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2021, 11:40:51 AM »

Underestimating Barry’s ego is a risky proposition. I don’t think it sat well with him Bo forced his hand.

It would be a bold move, but not one that would shock me based on how Gard was hired.

feedback