Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Major props to MU Women’s Hoops:11-3 in BigEast and 6-game road win streak!  (Read 1714 times)

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
It would be patronizing to our LadyWarriors to put up this Subject and then proceed to whine about the failures of the Men.

I would like to know your thoughts as to how Ms Duffy has been able to do this seemingly so easily, not to mention so quickly. Is she just this good? Is it the nature of women’s college basketball just having less top teams to compete with? Is she a tough-love coach or a players’ coach? How much does her culture differ from that of Ms Kieger?

It’s great to see an MU hoops program play to this level.
Interested in everyone’s thoughts as to the secret to the MU Women’s success.

Go MU! Keep it rolling @Providence today.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 10:11:43 PM by NorthernDancerColt »
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Galway Eagle

• All American
We've made some frustrating turnovers but overall this team really gets out in transition. I mean it seems 1/3 plays is a full court pass to someone braking down court. I love it and it's nice seeing a good basketball team.

Caveat is I've only watched 2.5 games. So maybe not the best reference.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Warriors4ever

• All American
I also want to give MarquetteFan props for keeping us up to date on the women’s team in the Superbar, some great discussions there.
Love that they are doing so well.

Viper

• All American
How’d that UConn game go?

tower912

• All American
UConn is an entirely different challenge.   Don't let your innate negativity detract from what the women's team is doing.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
How’d that UConn game go?

UConn does that and usually worse, to 99.9% of their opponents. 

The Lens

• All American
UConn is an entirely different challenge.   Don't let your innate negativity detract from what the women's team is doing.

I don't think we'll ever beat UConn (Prime Geno Version) but Megan Duffy is our best chance.  She had every chance to tank last season...work on building "her culture" etc, etc.  Instead she kept finding ways to win.  A brilliant hire by Scholl. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
I don't think we'll ever beat UConn (Prime Geno Version) but Megan Duffy is our best chance.  She had every chance to tank last season...work on building "her culture" etc, etc.  Instead she kept finding ways to win.  A brilliant hire by Scholl.

Agreed.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
When the BE let UConn's women's team in, they should have added a rule their women's team plays with 4 players in the 2nd half of all BE games to make it competitive.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American

Yup, everything I hear about Duffy has been positive. There were a pretty good recruit from Illinois last year that ended up going to her parents alma matter, but her dad told me she was really close to switching to Marquette after talking to Duffy.

Homerun hire, and honestly will probably be better than Kieger was.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
Now 11-3 BigEast and the road streak grows to 6! Way to go, gals!

Good to see I’m not related to Eddie Moysh.  ;D
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

shoothoops

• All American
Yup, everything I hear about Duffy has been positive. There were a pretty good recruit from Illinois last year that ended up going to her parents alma matter, but her dad told me she was really close to switching to Marquette after talking to Duffy.

Homerun hire, and honestly will probably be better than Kieger was.

It's a bit apples to oranges. Differrnt situations, different styles. Duffy has done well to keep Marquette a top 3 league team (Now that UConn is in it) and has Marquette as a possible at large NCAA team in a similar range to last year. And that's been great for her first two seasons.

She inherited an NCAA 5 seeded team, three straight NCAA's, 5,8,5 seeds, although with some graduation turnover.

Kieger inherited 2 out of 3 losing seasons, and quickly turned it back around in three seasons. MU hadn't been an NCAA team the previous three seasons. Kieger's teams won the league twice. (pre-UConn but with DePaul) and they won two games overall in three NCAA's including a 5/12 upset loss.

For perspective,  in 18 seasons, Terri Mitchell made 7 NCAA's and never had a 5 seed or better team. Her teams won four NCAA games all in different seasons. (Jim Jabir made two NCAA's prior to Mitchell)

DePaul has been a pretty good benchmark for both Kieger and Duffy.

Hopefully Duffy can begin a string of NCAA teams, and keep being a top 3  league team. She's off to a good start.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
I dunno, Duffy inherited a team that lost all five starters who were four year contributors, and their best recruit decommitted.

She did a hell of a job last season, they should have been nowhere near the top of the Big East.

Viper

• All American
innate? Dang. I asked a question. That’s it. A question. Don’t try to find something that ain’t there.