collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP Pedro Gomez  (Read 776 times)

wadesworld

• All American
RIP Pedro Gomez
« on: February 08, 2021, 09:40:21 AM »
Died at 58.  Crazy.

One of my roommates junior/senior year at Marquette was from Chicago and moved back there after college.  Big Cubs (and Chicago sports in general) fan.  Pedro was covering an ESPN game a year or two after the Cubs won the World and was on the train when my roommate tried to pretend he was on his phone and took a picture over his shoulder of Pedro on the train.  Pedro caught him taking it and tapped him on the shoulder and said, "Let's get a good one," and they took a picture together.  Pedro then ended up giving him some of the corks from the champagne bottles from Chicago's locker room celebration and some of his notes from the series.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
Re: RIP Pedro Gomez
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 10:32:04 AM »
Very sad. Seems to have made quite an impact on many media members by the outpouring by of tweets.

Here is a good one from Howard Bryant.

https://twitter.com/hbryant42/status/1358655706283573250?s=21

I’m fairly certain I saw him at Caffrey’s after the Nyjer Morgan walkoff in Game 5 of the NLDS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 01:58:26 PM »
I have been in a Facebook thread discussing Pedro all day.

Truly a good guy. He was a peer (we are about the same age) and we spent a decent amount of time in ballparks together. Great guy to have a conversation with; he lived a very interesting life before he became a sportswriter.

Pedro never "big-timed" anybody, even after he went to ESPN. I often saw him make time for local broadcasters and writers from community newspapers.

Very sad to see such a nice guy, and a pro's pro, die. Especially so young.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 04:42:54 PM »
During Bonds’ heyday, Pedro Gomez was the only guy who could get any info on him. RIP

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 07:44:45 AM »
Died at 58.  Crazy.

One of my roommates junior/senior year at Marquette was from Chicago and moved back there after college.  Big Cubs (and Chicago sports in general) fan.  Pedro was covering an ESPN game a year or two after the Cubs won the World and was on the train when my roommate tried to pretend he was on his phone and took a picture over his shoulder of Pedro on the train.  Pedro caught him taking it and tapped him on the shoulder and said, "Let's get a good one," and they took a picture together.  Pedro then ended up giving him some of the corks from the champagne bottles from Chicago's locker room celebration and some of his notes from the series.

This is a great story. Thanks for sharing it, Brother BLM.