[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Home theater systems  (Read 1809 times)

skianth16

• All American
Home theater systems
« on: February 05, 2021, 09:56:11 AM »
I think I'm ready to upgrade from my current soundbar setup to a more complete multi-speaker setup. Long story short - I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on a full 5 or 7 speaker system right now, though, because my current tv/couch/room situation will probably change in the next year or two.

So my question for those in the know is this - can I start with just the 2 front speakers and a sub for now? Or does that throw off the balance of the system?

Also, any tips on what to look for in a receiver would be great. I'm leaning toward a Denon 5.2 750W option right now. I feel like that gives me some ability to upgrade speakers in the future without needing a new receiver.

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Home theater systems
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 10:02:41 AM »
I think I'm ready to upgrade from my current soundbar setup to a more complete multi-speaker setup. Long story short - I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on a full 5 or 7 speaker system right now, though, because my current tv/couch/room situation will probably change in the next year or two.

So my question for those in the know is this - can I start with just the 2 front speakers and a sub for now? Or does that throw off the balance of the system?

Also, any tips on what to look for in a receiver would be great. I'm leaning toward a Denon 5.2 750W option right now. I feel like that gives me some ability to upgrade speakers in the future without needing a new receiver.

Two years ago I was in a similar situation.  We redid our basement and reconfigured where everything was... including the speakers and wired sound system.  After some research I settled on a SONOS playbar, subwoofer, and two PLAY5 speakers.  The sound is great, everything is wireless and easy to setup, and the system can get loud enough that I can't stand to be in the basement at 75% volume.  Love it, and got my dad a playbar and sub for xmas... and he loves it for the same reasons I did.

MU11W

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 10:39:25 AM »
I'll echo the Sonos recommendation - Very easy to add components and update your setup as your needs progress.  Super easy to setup, no need to run wires - but if you do have any existing wired speakers you can include those in your Sonos system via their amp.

If you're an audiophile looking for the absolute best sound Sonos may not be your best bet, but I am not an audiophile and think it sounds great.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 10:53:31 AM »
Budget?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 10:56:29 AM »
Sonos is solid.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 11:20:32 AM »
Two years ago I was in a similar situation.  We redid our basement and reconfigured where everything was... including the speakers and wired sound system.  After some research I settled on a SONOS playbar, subwoofer, and two PLAY5 speakers.  The sound is great, everything is wireless and easy to setup, and the system can get loud enough that I can't stand to be in the basement at 75% volume.  Love it, and got my dad a playbar and sub for xmas... and he loves it for the same reasons I did.

I did a quick search of some reviews for the playbar, and it seems like it would be a step up from where I'm at now. But since it is still a soundbar, although a high quality one, I wonder if I'll find myself wanting a "true" surround system a few years down the road. Did you have a chance to compare the Sonos system to a 5.1 or 7.1 system?

Part of where I'm coming from here is my dad has a very nice 7.1 setup in a dedicated theater room that I absolutely love. One day in the future, I'm hoping to have a similar setup. So my thought was to start getting some of the pieces that could one day evolve into something more like a theater arrangement in the future. Do you think the Sonos system would work well for something like that?

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 11:53:36 AM »
Budget?

Negotiable to an extent, but I'm leaning toward a cap of about $1,500 for the initial items. I'd like to be able to add and/or upgrade the speakers when I move or when I change the layout of the existing room.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 01:19:08 PM »
I did a quick search of some reviews for the playbar, and it seems like it would be a step up from where I'm at now. But since it is still a soundbar, although a high quality one, I wonder if I'll find myself wanting a "true" surround system a few years down the road. Did you have a chance to compare the Sonos system to a 5.1 or 7.1 system?

Part of where I'm coming from here is my dad has a very nice 7.1 setup in a dedicated theater room that I absolutely love. One day in the future, I'm hoping to have a similar setup. So my thought was to start getting some of the pieces that could one day evolve into something more like a theater arrangement in the future. Do you think the Sonos system would work well for something like that?

I had a 5.1 in the same area, the sonos bar puts out amazing full sound for a bar.  There are definitely different levels of sound bars.  Spending $750 for one instead of $150 for an entry level one makes a huge difference. 

Sonos is very modular.  You can add speakers whenever you want and you never need to run a wire back to the system.  Anywhere you have wireless internet in your house you can have a speaker.  Meaning that you can haul your PLAY5 or smaller PLAY3s outside for a party and have it run off of your Sonos system.  Basically, anywhere you can plug a speaker in, you can have sound.  I plan on getting some smaller PLAY3s for the upstairs so I can have the Spotify app from my TV play music throughout the house when we have people over.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 07:29:23 AM »
I’m kind of in the same boat, the family is apartment living for at least the next year or two, but even after that most likely a smaller home without a dedicated theater/TV space.

Anyone have the Sonos Beam, the little brother of the Sonos Playbar (newest version is the called the Arc).

At $370 at CostCo, fits my budget a bit better too, plus can always add on subs and additional speakers.

Also read Sonos is far ahead on the software too, with the advantage of their products being able to have a much longer life.

Thanks all

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 09:45:42 AM »
I’m kind of in the same boat, the family is apartment living for at least the next year or two, but even after that most likely a smaller home without a dedicated theater/TV space.

Anyone have the Sonos Beam, the little brother of the Sonos Playbar (newest version is the called the Arc).

At $370 at CostCo, fits my budget a bit better too, plus can always add on subs and additional speakers.

Also read Sonos is far ahead on the software too, with the advantage of their products being able to have a much longer life.

Thanks all

I have the Sonos Beam, and it is incredible for the price.

And as mentioned, you can easily add more speakers in the future as your budget and tastes warrant. Perfect.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 11:42:08 AM »

I have the Sonos Beam, and it is incredible for the price.

And as mentioned, you can easily add more speakers in the future as your budget and tastes warrant. Perfect.

Thank you!  Picked one up this week, and I am seriously in awe how good this thing is, especially music.  Wowza.

I am sure I will pair a couple One SLs to make it a 5.1