Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Perez  (Read 10340 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Perez
« on: February 01, 2021, 04:23:35 PM »
Talked to somebody who knows a little about MU players, stated Perez is slow and out of shape, but the one point he made about Perez was it was
a package deal with another player.  Obviously, he did not come.  Does anybody have an idea who that kid was?

panda

• All American
Re: Perez
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 04:29:38 PM »
Talked to somebody who knows a little about MU players, stated Perez is slow and out of shape, but the one point he made about Perez was it was
a package deal with another player.  Obviously, he did not come.  Does anybody have an idea who that kid was?

Mac Ettiene. They played for the same aau program. He’s at UCLA now.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 04:30:39 PM »
Mac Ettiene. They played for the same aau program. He’s at UCLA now.

Not sure about that as it sounded like 2 kids this year, not next.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 04:34:50 PM »
Not sure about that as it sounded like 2 kids this year, not next.

Nate Johnson, Xavier

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 04:50:47 PM »
Nate Johnson, Xavier
Jose’s teammate at Gardner-Webb.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 04:52:25 PM »

To be fair, he had Covid. Just so it doesn’t come off as lazy for him being out of shape.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 04:56:06 PM »
To be fair, he had Covid. Just so it doesn’t come off as lazy for him being out of shape.
When? i know dex seemed to have had a rough time with it but did jose as well.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 05:05:53 PM »
When? i know dex seemed to have had a rough time with it but did jose as well.

You’re right. For some reason, I thought he did as well, but it was only Dexter. I haven’t been able to find an article saying Perez did.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 05:23:52 PM »
Jose’s teammate at Gardner-Webb.

Nate Johnson, Xavier

And one of the top 3 point shooters in the country
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 07:34:09 PM by StillWarriors »

Autoengineer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 05:47:00 PM »

So it was another Wally Ellenson to bring in Henry kind of deal.  That's the best Perez theory I've heard so far.   

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 07:00:49 PM »
We got screwed in that deal

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 07:03:53 PM »
Sounds like another successful Wojo package deal

franklinjerry

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 07:25:59 PM »
None of this is probably true but I agree it's the best explanation I've heard for Jose sitting in the second row of the Forum.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 08:33:49 AM by franklinjerry »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 07:51:13 PM »
None of this is probably true but I agree it's the best explanation I've heard for Jose sitting in the second row of the Forum.

MU's interest was talked about last March

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.anonymouseagle.com/platform/amp/2020/3/25/21191027/marquette-golden-eagles-basketball-recruiting-transfer-dj-carton-justin-turner-nate-johnson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2021, 07:51:36 PM »
Nate Johnson, Xavier

Seems highly unlikely. Johnson committed early, on March 28, while Perez didn't commit until May 7. If they took a kid as a package deal 6 weeks after the first kid committed, that would be a pretty egregious oversight.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2021, 08:01:19 PM »
Seems highly unlikely. Johnson committed early, on March 28, while Perez didn't commit until May 7. If they took a kid as a package deal 6 weeks after the first kid committed, that would be a pretty egregious oversight.

I don't know what's egregious about talking about it in March and still deciding to go with Perez with a year to sit. You can argue Perez only I guess.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 08:09:07 PM »
I don't know what's egregious about talking about it in March and still deciding to go with Perez with a year to sit. You can argue Perez only I guess.

If so, Marquette had to be tampering. Perez didn't even enter the transfer portal until April 18, 3 weeks after Johnson made his decision.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

franklinjerry

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 08:49:41 PM »
Jose's punishment for not landing Johnson is being forced to sit and watch these games in person?

panda

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 09:00:34 PM »
If so, Marquette had to be tampering. Perez didn't even enter the transfer portal until April 18, 3 weeks after Johnson made his decision.

Grounds for termination? Kevin Ollie style?!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 09:55:07 PM »

He looked fat to me when I first saw him play and I said as much. Got grief from some Scoopers at the time. Evidently he’s now persona non grata with even the projos.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 10:03:54 PM »
As Brew pointed out, the timeline doesn't remotely make sense for Nate Johnson.

I've never actually heard that Jose was a package deal with someone else. I have heard people speculate that Jose was recruited to help land Etienne. But the thought process I've heard from those people has been "Jose isn't playing, he must suck, why did we recruit him?, maybe it was to help land Etienne?" I think that may have gone around the rumor mill enough times for people to start presenting it as a fact or maybe there's truth to it. I'm sure the coaching staff was aware of the connection to Etienne when they were recruiting him.

You’re right. For some reason, I thought he did as well, but it was only Dexter. I haven’t been able to find an article saying Perez did.

You may have been thinking of Dex, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you were wrong about Jose. We know about Dex because his bout with COVID happened during practice time leading to a very public COVID break, combined with videos of everyone but Dexter practicing. It would not be surprising to learn that one or more of our players had COVID over the summer before practice and if that did happen, it likely wouldn't be publicly announced. If Jose had COVID and then decided after the APB game that he wasn't comfortable playing this season due to COVID, it would probably look like what we are seeing now. Jose not dressing but still a very involved active presence on the bench.

The way I see it, Jose not playing isn't a "he sucks" thing because even the walk ons dress. He's either injured, in the doghouse, or has decided to opt out due to COVID or another personal reason. If he was injured, we would have heard about it. It's possible he's in the doghouse, but he certainly isn't acting like a guy in the doghouse. I think option 3 is most likely.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 10:58:34 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2021, 10:08:01 PM »
He looked fat to me when I first saw him play and I said as much. Got grief from some Scoopers at the time. Evidently he’s now persona non grata with even the projos.

He’s a 6’5”, 210 lb. D1 athlete. I’m not sure how that’s fat.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2021, 10:15:05 PM »
He’s a 6’5”, 210 lb. D1 athlete. I’m not sure how that’s fat.

I don’t normally go with the eye test over “stats” but those numbers (as they often are in the program) are fake news. If you ever saw him play or just sit in his uniform) you’d say the same.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2021, 10:21:11 PM »
I don’t normally go with the eye test over “stats” but those numbers (as they often are in the program) are fake news. If you ever saw him play or just sit in his uniform) you’d say the same.

And if you ever saw him without his jersey on you’d realize he wears padding over every part of his body basically. If he’s fat then about 90% of the population in America is fat. While America has an obesity issue, it’s nowhere close to that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2021, 10:25:51 PM »
And if you ever saw him without his jersey on you’d realize he wears padding over every part of his body basically. If he’s fat then about 90% of the population in America is fat. While America has an obesity issue, it’s nowhere close to that.

I confess I’ve only seen him in a jersey and short pants. Since you’ve seen him naked I guess I’ll have to take your word.