'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Wojo;s next stop (2021-22 at least) will be:

Head Coach at MU
64 (51.2%)
Head Coach at a mid-major
22 (17.6%)
Assistant Coach at a P6 school
20 (16%)
Media/game analyst for FOX, ESPN
18 (14.4%)
University administration
1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Author Topic: Wojo's next stop  (Read 8599 times)

WarriorFan

• All American
Re: Wojo's next stop
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2021, 12:14:01 PM »
Now is the time.  IMHO he's lost the team.  Extend the search and create some excitement by turfing him now.  Don't pay the buyout.  Give him a job teaching PE to freshman and mopping floors at Helfaer. 

I predict massive transfers and pro defections.  Sy will go down a level to where he can play.  Carton, Lewis and Garcia will go pro.  Dex will go somewhere that wants him.  In other words, now is the time. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2021, 12:15:10 PM »
Publicly, Scholl-Lovell will say that a one-year blip is to expected in the sport (see Wisconsin a few years ago, Duke & Kentucky this year).  Privately, they have to realize that the program is going nowhere and peaking at sub-.500 in conference play.

If they would use that as an argument, it would be comically stupid as there’s no comparison of our last 7 seasons to Kentucky, Duke, and Wisconsin to excuse a supposed one off season of ours.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2021, 12:16:07 PM »
Assuming we continue on the trajectory this season has been headed on I can see them extending but restructuring, similar to what UM did with Harbaugh. You cant' have a coach on a one year deal as it ruins any ability to recruit so you're just screwing yourself. Set it up so it's 5 years, incentive-based and with a lower buyout so you can move on if needed. Next year is make/break, especially if we return DJ, Garcia and JL.

You’d almost have to leak through Ben Steele or a Dodds that the buyout was renegotiated to temper the reactions of fans.

I don’t know that MU would that as it would undercut Wojo on the recruiting trail and put a cloud over the team.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2021, 12:16:13 PM »
Now is the time.  IMHO he's lost the team.  Extend the search and create some excitement by turfing him now.  Don't pay the buyout.  Give him a job teaching PE to freshman and mopping floors at Helfaer. 

He hasn't lost the team.  And giving him another job makes no sense since you have to pay the buyout anyway.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2021, 12:19:21 PM »

He hasn't lost the team.

Really? How do you come to that conclusion? Team’s effort has been spotty at best, a telltale sign a coach has lost the players and their confidence in him. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2021, 12:26:08 PM »
Really? How do you come to that conclusion? Team’s effort has been spotty at best, a telltale sign a coach has lost the players and their confidence in him.

Saying he’s lost the team implies poor chemistry. I don’t see that necessarily.

What I do see is a disconnect between players and coach on how to execute. That has been getting worse and worse all season.

The players haven’t quit on their coach or their teammates, it’s just a rudderless ship.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2021, 12:26:45 PM »

I don't think the effort has been a problem at all.

Saying he’s lost the team implies poor chemistry. I don’t see that necessarily.

What I do see is a disconnect between players and coach on how to execute. That has been getting worse and worse all season.

The players haven’t quit on their coach or their teammates, it’s just a rudderless ship.

Yes.  This I agree with.  Whatever he is coaching, not all of it is getting through.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2021, 12:30:36 PM »
His teams have never taken on the personality he had as a player.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dinger

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2021, 12:32:27 PM »
We are at the point after this year where they would have to extend for recruiting purposes.  So here are the options.

1. Fire him and pay out the buyout.  Obviously the negative here is the University's financial situation.
2. Keep him and extend him.  PR nightmare, even if you lower the guaranteed money.
3. Keep him and don't extend him.  Least expensive option but twists him in the wind recruiting wise.

IMO you have to do #1 or #2.  #3 signals you aren't sold on the guy but don't have the balls to make a change.

4. Gently nudge him toward a MWC or A10 job like Iowa did with a middling Steve Alford (not totally fair because Steve Alford was a huuuuuuuge tool and I don't hate Wojo personally). Cancel his buyout to help make it happen. Honestly I think Wojo would do well at that level (much like Alford did at New Mexico)

Their records and fan approval are similar. Besides with the MU restructuring, they'll want to get as much liability off the books as they can all at once this year. I can't imagine the athletic department wanting to go back to the well for a buyout a year after a huge university restructuring.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2021, 12:32:43 PM »
His teams have never taken on the personality he had as a player.   

When he was hired, I thought we’d be a tough nosed defensive team. I worried he’d be able to recruit offensive talent to Marquette.

We’ve pretty much been the opposite.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2021, 12:36:18 PM »
He has recruited offensive talent to Marquette.    He has not recruited tough minded defenders and switchables to Marquette.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2021, 12:56:27 PM »
Yeah, I don't see where the "lost the team" or "lack of effort" narratives have come from. I think we are seeing an inexperienced team not executing well. Which is fine at the beginning of the season. The problem is that I'm not seeing improvement on the execution as the season goes along.

Personally, I think he overcoaches. Makes it too complicated in an effort to avoid making mistakes...which of course leads to mistakes.

I did like the defense last night. There was a higher level of intensity and the rotations and close outs were more crisp. Obviously not on a 100% of plays but I think we made Providence uncomfortable and jack up a lot of bad shots. Couldn't get it to result in turnovers though.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2021, 01:49:45 PM »
When he was hired, I thought we’d be a tough nosed defensive team. I worried he’d be able to recruit offensive talent to Marquette.

We’ve pretty much been the opposite.

I thought the same thing - in fact, I assumed one of the biggest perks would be a continuation of the scrappy, hard-nosed style we developed under Buzz.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2021, 06:34:35 PM »
Yeah, haven't seen anyone get down and slap the floor a few times, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback