[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: More Conference Reshuffling  (Read 1775 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
More Conference Reshuffling
« on: January 14, 2021, 11:39:12 AM »
The WAC is expanding by adding Abilene Christian, Sam Houston, Stephen F. Austin and Lamar from the Southland, as well as Southern Utah from the Big Sky.  They are re-entering the football world on the FCS level with this move.

Chicago State will be departing the conference after this year - I bet they were booted.  It's probably best for them to drop athletics all together at this point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
Re: More Conference Reshuffling
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 11:41:25 AM »
The WAC is expanding by adding Abilene Christian, Sam Houston, Stephen F. Austin and Lamar from the Southland, as well as Southern Utah from the Big Sky.  They are re-entering the football world on the FCS level with this move.

Chicago State will be departing the conference after this year - I bet they were booted.  It's probably best for them to drop athletics all together at this point.

One of the most baffling conference affiliations out there.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 12:18:20 PM »
I had to google WAC as I had no idea who was in the conference.

Only recognized Seattle, Grand Canyon, New Mexico and Utah Valley St.  UVS maybe only because Marquette played them once a long time ago?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 12:29:28 PM »
I had to google WAC as I had no idea who was in the conference.

Only recognized Seattle, Grand Canyon, New Mexico and Utah Valley St.  UVS maybe only because Marquette played them once a long time ago?
Wow, that used to be a pretty good conference until the 2000s.  I hadn't realized how far it had fallen.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 12:34:23 PM »
Wow, that used to be a pretty good conference until the 2000s.  I hadn't realized how far it had fallen.

The Mountain West took their good programs, and then took more when others left the Mountain West.

And then the teams they replaced them with went to the CUSA.

Their oldest member is New Mexico State - who joined in 2005.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 12:52:45 PM »
One of the most baffling conference affiliations out there.

Word of this leaked out in December. The Southland is basically the Texas schools who show full commitment and the Louisiana schools who a fiscally challenged. It will be interesting to see where the Southland goes from here; do they stay at nine or try and expand to they can keep sponsoring football?

As for CSU, the were Summit League (which made sense) and then went independent. I think they then joined the old Great West (a.k.a. the conference of misfit toys) and then off to the WAC when the GWC fell apart. The WAC has done well with bringing in schools that have made the move to D1 recently, like Seattle U, Cal Baptist, Utah Valley, and Grand Canyon. They lost Bakersfield to the Big West  but this Texas expansion will be a good one for hoops. No decision made at that school is a good one. A few years ago they were teetering on being shut down, I would imagine it's only a matter of time.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 01:04:22 PM »
Word of this leaked out in December. The Southland is basically the Texas schools who show full commitment and the Louisiana schools who a fiscally challenged. It will be interesting to see where the Southland goes from here; do they stay at nine or try and expand to they can keep sponsoring football?

As for CSU, the were Summit League (which made sense) and then went independent. I think they then joined the old Great West (a.k.a. the conference of misfit toys) and then off to the WAC when the GWC fell apart. The WAC has done well with bringing in schools that have made the move to D1 recently, like Seattle U, Cal Baptist, Utah Valley, and Grand Canyon. They lost Bakersfield to the Big West  but this Texas expansion will be a good one for hoops. No decision made at that school is a good one. A few years ago they were teetering on being shut down, I would imagine it's only a matter of time.

Seattle has been very patient waiting for the WCC invitation, which likely will never come.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 01:32:21 PM »

Seattle has been very patient waiting for the WCC invitation, which likely will never come.

Nope. Denver is most likely - it came down to them and Pacific the last time the WCC expanded. When BYU leaves DU will get the first call. Until SU improves their athletic facilities they're out.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 01:50:47 PM »
Solid hoops league moving forward.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

feedback