[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wednesday's MU - Georgetown Game Postponed  (Read 7760 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Wednesday's MU - Georgetown Game Postponed
« on: January 14, 2021, 10:43:31 AM »
Georgetown has gone on pause with a positive COVID test. Their Jan 20 game with Marquette has been postponed.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BrewCity83

• All American
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

bilsu

• All American
Re: Wednesday's MU - Georgetown Game Postponed
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 05:27:50 PM »
Is this where we play Villanova? I did not look at Villanova's schedule to see if they have an opening.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 06:09:13 PM »
I hope not.. scheduled to play the worst team in the conference.....instead you get to play the best team in the conference!

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 06:14:42 PM »
Is this where we play Villanova? I did not look at Villanova's schedule to see if they have an opening.
Nova is scheduled to play the Hall on the 19th. Playing them the next night might be our only shot at beating them.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 06:46:31 PM »
Nova is scheduled to play the Hall on the 19th. Playing them the next night might be our only shot at beating them.

I'm not sure we'd have much chance if we played them in the second half of a double header.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 07:38:54 PM »
I'm not sure we'd have much chance if we played them in the second half of a double header.

We’d have a good shot if the team that beat the rodents and Creighton shows up.

panda

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 07:43:00 PM »

Which Wojo team has improved as the season goes on?

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 07:46:26 PM »

Or if Nova shows up like the Badgers and Creighton did when we played them.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 07:50:00 PM »

2016-17 and 2017-18.

2 for 6. It could happen.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 07:56:13 PM »

Last season, from Jan. 15 to Feb. 9, Wojo's team went 6-1, and our only loss was at No. 13 Butler in OT. That stretch of being IMPROVED AS THE SEASON WENT ON is what would have gotten us into the NCAAs had the season not ended early. Given that today is Jan. 14, I'd say it's not out of the question that this team could go on a similar hot streak.

Are you going to claim that Wojo's 2018-19 team that started 3-2 but then went 20-2 didn't improve throughout the season?

Wojo's 2017-18 team won 4 of its last 5 regular-season games and then its first BET game but, alas, it had dug itself too much of a hole earlier in the season. But that team improved as the season went on.

Wojo's 2016-17 team won 4 of its last 5 regular-season games to lock up an NCAA tourney bid. That team improved as the season went on.

You know, I'm no longer a gung-ho Pro-Jo. I've been quite critical of him this season. But if you're gonna go full-on NOJO, at least know what you're talking about.

There are plenty of things to criticize him for -- Plenty! -- without making crud up.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 08:05:08 PM »
Last season, from Jan. 15 to Feb. 9, Wojo's team went 6-1, and our only loss was at No. 13 Butler in OT. That stretch of being IMPROVED AS THE SEASON WENT ON is what would have gotten us into the NCAAs had the season not ended early. Given that today is Jan. 14, I'd say it's not out of the question that this team could go on a similar hot streak.

Are you going to claim that Wojo's 2018-19 team that started 3-2 but then went 20-2 didn't improve throughout the season?

Wojo's 2017-18 team won 4 of its last 5 regular-season games and then its first BET game but, alas, it had dug itself too much of a hole earlier in the season. But that team improved as the season went on.

Wojo's 2016-17 team won 4 of its last 5 regular-season games to lock up an NCAA tourney bid. That team improved as the season went on.

You know, I'm no longer a gung-ho Pro-Jo. I've been quite critical of him this season. But if you're gonna go full-on NOJO, at least know what you're talking about.

There are plenty of things to criticize him for -- Plenty! -- without making crud up.

Did we play any games after Feb 9th last season?

What happened at the end of the year in 18/19?

I will give you 2017. There were must win games at the end of the year and we pulled through. That’s the exception, not the norm.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 08:11:11 PM »
Well, you can't really improve on a 21-2 run when your top 3 players are dinged up and second and third best players are unhappy with the first team all American. (fill in your version of the Hausers saga here)    But yes, 1-6 after 23-4 is frustrating.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 08:15:23 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

panda

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 08:15:05 PM »
Well, you can't really improve on a 21-2 run when your top 3 players are dinged up and second and third best players are (fill in your version of the Hausers saga here) unhappy.   But yes, 1-6 after 23-4 is frustrating.

Hard to improve on 21-2 but, as we all know, it can all spectacularly fall apart, which means the team doesn’t improve down the stretch.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 09:14:54 PM »
Did we play any games after Feb 9th last season?

What happened at the end of the year in 18/19?

I will give you 2017. There were must win games at the end of the year and we pulled through. That’s the exception, not the norm.

You are moving the goalposts.

You didn't say they struggled down the stretch the last two seasons. You said, on Jan. 14, "Which Wojo team has improved as the season goes on?"

The season goes on from here. And Wojo's teams actually have consistently improved from this point. The last two seasons, we definitely improved as the season went on.

Then, unfortunately, the last two years we hit a wall for whatever reason -- bad coaching, injuries, player mutinies, whatevs -- and got worse down the stretch.

It's OK to admit you were wrong and that you were taking a cheap shot at Wojo because ... well ... he's Wojo. Go ahead. It's OK. We're all wrong occasionally, and you definitely were this time.

panda

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 09:21:49 PM »
You are moving the goalposts.

You didn't say they struggled down the stretch the last two seasons. You said, on Jan. 14, "Which Wojo team has improved as the season goes on?"

The season goes on from here. And Wojo's teams actually have consistently improved from this point. The last two seasons, we definitely improved as the season went on.

Then, unfortunately, the last two years we hit a wall for whatever reason -- bad coaching, injuries, player mutinies, whatevs -- and got worse down the stretch.

It's OK to admit you were wrong and that you were taking a cheap shot at Wojo because ... well ... he's Wojo. Go ahead. It's OK. We're all wrong occasionally, and you definitely were this time.

I’m moving the goalposts and you’re cherry picking stretches of games which don’t represent the whole of the story ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 09:39:34 PM »
I’m moving the goalposts and you’re cherry picking stretches of games which don’t represent the whole of the story ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Again...

In 16-17 we won 4 of 5 to close the regular season.

In 17-18 we won 5 of 7 to close the regular season.

Both those teams improved towards the end of the season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 09:42:35 PM »

Look man, you said Wojo's teams don't improve as the season goes on, and I showed you examples of four straight seasons in which that wasn't true.

I accept your apology.

Again...

In 16-17 we won 4 of 5 to close the regular season.

In 17-18 we won 5 of 7 to close the regular season.

Both those teams improved towards the end of the season.

He wasn't even saying the end of the season. He was saying as the season goes on. I happen to think - and facts happen to support - that starting 3-2 and then going 20-2 over the next three months is a team that improved as the season went on.

But if one needs to rip on Wojo, no matter what - rather than focusing on the many legit things to rip him for - I guess a 20-2 stretch from November to February wasn't improvement as the season went on.

panda

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 09:50:27 PM »
Look man, you said Wojo's teams don't improve as the season goes on, and I showed you examples of four straight seasons in which that wasn't true.

I accept your apology.

He wasn't even saying the end of the season. He was saying as the season goes on. I happen to think - and facts happen to support - that starting 3-2 and then going 20-2 over the next three months is a team that improved as the season went on.

But if one needs to rip on Wojo, no matter what - rather than focusing on the many legit things to rip him for - I guess a 20-2 stretch from November to February wasn't improvement as the season went on.

It’s my opinion the team played to their high capabilities during the 20-2 stretch and failed spectacularly in the last month of the season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 10:54:37 PM »
It’s my opinion the team played to their high capabilities during the 20-2 stretch and failed spectacularly in the last month of the season.

OK

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2021, 01:40:24 AM »
Well, you can't really improve on a 21-2 run when your top 3 players are dinged up and second and third best players are unhappy with the first team all American. (fill in your version of the Hausers saga here)    But yes, 1-6 after 23-4 is frustrating.

Man, I had not heard “23-4” since Chico.  Nice.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2021, 06:25:40 AM »
Was the team 23-4?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2021, 06:41:14 AM »
I think there's an alternate theory to 2018-19, and that is Marquette never improved, they just played to their level for 27 games, then Markus got hurt and it fell out. That the 3-2 team and the 20-2 team were the same team, the only difference was the level of competition & the location of the games.

Marquette lost on the road to kenpom #52 Indiana. It's easy to think they would've won that game in January, but against top-60 teams on the road, they went 1-3 with the only win being the improbable overtime win at Creighton.

Against tourney teams, they were 0-3 on the road. Their 6 road wins were all against Big East teams that missed the tourney in an uncharacteristically weak season for the league.

The Kansas game was a neutral court loss to the #17 team in kenpom. We only played one other top-20 kenpom team, the Wisconsin win at home in overtime.

It always stood out to me how Marquette, even at their best, never really moved the computer rankings. They were between 25-35 pretty much the whole season, whether winning or losing. Even their final ranking of 33 was right there.

Maybe the reality is we were just never that good, buoyed by a weak Big East, and couldn't see it through the Blue & Gold beer goggles. I wrote about the hallmarks of us being overrated in January of that year. We just didn't want to see it.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2021, 08:59:43 AM »
There are windows to play these games. We'll see if it is important to the conference to get the games in.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2021, 10:47:37 AM »
Xavier vs UCONN cancelled Wednesday due to Xavier. Would be a failure on the BE part if MU doesn’t go to UCONN Wednesday instead.