Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gut Check Time  (Read 1171 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Gut Check Time
« on: February 05, 2008, 08:56:29 AM »
Putting things into perspective, this really is a gut check time in the Crean era, specifically that of the James/Matthews/McNeal years.

For this particular group of players, whether it be the toll of conference play, the coaching style of Crean, whatever it may be, the team seems to wear down hard and fast this time of year. The trend of peaking early in the season and playing up to their strengths, seems to really be lacking, particularly this season. If this team was loaded with frosh/soph's, I could understand, but for these three guys in particular to be juniors and playing this way, something is wrong.

The blame goes all around...Crean, assistants, all the players. I don't know what went on in practice or was said behind closed doors yesterday, but that was bad, real bad. Louisville is clearly more talented than we are, and while I see no shame in losing to them, it was the way we lost and went about it that was troubling. Again, I don't know what's going on, but if the trend stays current, I see us getting whipped in South Bend on Saturday.

MU will most likely make the tournament, the sky isn't falling that bad. It's still a while away, but if MU goes to the NCAA's, and were to lose in the first round, A LOT of questions would need to be asked. For such a talented and hyped class as James, Matthews, and McNeal were and have been, for them to be 0-3 in NCAA appearances would be a overwhelmingly huge disappointment for this program. March is still a ways to go, and there's plenty of time to right the ship. Hopefully we're not asking these questions on March 22nd.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
Re: Gut Check Time
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 09:03:28 AM »
This week at ND is crucial.  If we have no quality BE road wins we will get screwed in the seedings and your "0-3" prediction will come through.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 10:01:59 AM »
At this point, on March 23rd we may be asking who the next coach is. I pray that's not the case, but a first-round NCAA ouster or no bid at all would be a disaster.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 10:13:02 AM »
At this point, on March 23rd we may be asking who the next coach is. I pray that's not the case, but a first-round NCAA ouster or no bid at all would be a disaster.

The only way we're asking that on March 23rd is if a disgruntled fan snaps and kills the guy.  He's not leaving for another school, and Wild likes Crean far too much to fire him.  They could lose out and Wild wouldn't do a thing.  It would take a few years of terrible play for him to be fired. 

feedback