Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Tom Crean should just...well....SIT DOWN!  (Read 1291 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Tom Crean should just...well....SIT DOWN!
« on: February 05, 2008, 12:45:05 AM »
Tom Crean should just...well....SIT DOWN!

[img size=300]http://www.stdmfg.com/sit%20down.JPG[/img]
As I watched tonight's nightmare unfold, I took notice of Tom Crean on the sidelines doing his usual routine.  Back and forth in the coach's box, barking out plays, clapping, grabbing his diet soda, more back and forth...same routine really for the last 9 years.  Don't get me wrong, the guy is averaging 20 wins a year with that routine and done some things around here that haven't been done in decades.

However, sometimes you need to shake things up a touch...or a lot.  I can hear and see the plays we're running on tv with his hand signals and shouting, I'm certain the other team 45 feet down the line can figure it out as well.  Besides, when you're team is constantly looking to the bench to come up with a play, it sometimes pollutes their game thoughts.  To much over thinking, not enough instinctive play.  Basketball players become robots.

Here's an idea....SIT DOWN.  Not a whole game, maybe not even a whole half.  How about from one media timeout to the next?   Yeah, I know, it's just a silly notion and everyone has silly ideas after a loss.  Everyone wants to play Tuesday morning coach.  Well, indulge me.  Sit down.  For just a touch.

Allow these juniors and seniors to be leaders....there are none right now that I see demonstrating any true leadership qualities.  Crean said himself during the post game press conference that communication tonight was at an all-time low.  Well, does that surprise anyone if the only person that is talking 99% of the time is the coach barking out plays and sets?

Coaches have to adapt just like everyone else.  Time to take a chill pill every once in awhile....take a seat Jack.  I'm not saying roll the ball out there and just let them play for 40 minutes without adult supervision....not at all.  You can call out a few plays from your derriere, or even let them figure out the flow on their own, that is what they practice for every day.  It's one thing to be the ring leader 24/7 and many teams need that.  Some coaches need it apparently, too.  However, I see an experienced and talented team right now that is looking for a leader on the court (a player) ....why not let them seize that moment and find that leader?

Sit down, take the weight off your feet, you may just find out that your club grows a bit more with a longer leash.  At the very least, they will learn to trust each other a bit more and force them to communicate with one another while playing the game.

Just a thought from 2000 miles away.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2008/02/tom-crean-should-justwellsit-down.html
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 07:28:41 AM by spiral97 »

MarquetteDano

• All American
Could not agree more
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 01:22:16 AM »
This is a great posting on Cracked Sidewalks.  This isn't an after-loss rant.  I have thought (and I know others have as well) this for a long-time.

I remember watching Diener's senior season vs. DePaul (in Chicago).  I had floor seats for that one, right behind Marquette's bench.  I can remember Crean yelling plays out to Diener while he was trying to figure out the defense.  He was more confused with Crean's calls than DePaul's defense.  At the end of play?  Diener chucked up a three from 25.

I think Crean is just too involved in the offense at times.  It becomes stiffling.  I understand making play calls throughout the game.  But on every trip down the court?  And sometimes it appears there is more than one call per trip?  It is just too much.

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Tom Crean should just...well....SIT DOWN!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 01:35:49 AM »
I agree.. post of the day.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 02:42:03 AM »
Agree with the post above. Always thought Crean is a micro-manager, and this team doesn't need that at all right now.

Not to change the subject, but when I saw the topic, the other thing I thought was the absolutely constant flow of people up and down the aisles during the game tonight. I thought I was at a game at the Metrodome, which is the worst facility I've ever been at for having your sightline constantly blocked by people getting up and down to use the can, go to the concession stand, etc. I kid you not there may not have been a more than 1-minute stretch tonight where someone wasn't blocking my sightline during play. Tonight was easily the worst I've ever seen it at any non-Metrodome sporting event.

For those of you who see the need to get up and use the bathroom or get concessions while the game is progress, please SIT DOWN and wait til the TV time outs or hafltime. There are nine breaks in a 2-hour college game. You can wait 10 minutes to use the bathroom or get a nachos.

For all its faults, the Horizon or whatever name it's called now does have one thing going for it. They close the curtains when the ball is in play, and you must wait until the ball is dead on a time out to return to your seat. Sounds like a fine idea to me, and something I think they ought to think about employing at the BC.
GO WARRIORS!

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 05:44:18 AM »
Problem is, none of his plays work. We NEVER got an uncontested shot.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 06:53:12 AM »
Besides the obvious size problem, MU's offense depends to much on dribbling instead of passing. That is why we do not get open jump shots.

feedback