[Today at 06:45:43 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by mileskishnish72
[Today at 05:50:19 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by barfolomew
[Today at 05:19:49 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 10:43:34 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU +7.5 @ Creighton  (Read 7217 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
MU +7.5 @ Creighton
« on: December 13, 2020, 07:18:28 PM »
Total is 148.5.

tower912

• All American
Re: MU +7.5 @ Creighton
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 07:22:44 PM »
82-68.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 07:36:21 PM »
Easier to slow the pace than speed it up. Keep the possessions in the 60s and we have a shot. Go into the 70s and we're in trouble.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 07:42:43 PM »
First impression is lay/over. I'll sleep on it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 08:48:25 PM »
Will be interesting to see how we defend Creighton. Lots of small, speedy, and crafty guards/wings with the best PG in the conference leading them. My thought is a man to man. John will obviously have to take Bishop. I think they try to use Koby's size to slow down Zegarowski. My thought is that they stick Garcia on Ballock with the hope that his height makes up for his lack of speed and allows him to at least get a hand in Ballock's face. Carton on Mahoney and Cain on Jefferson.

On the flip side, we have to be able to make Creighton pay for going small. We have to use our size, back them down in the post, and force their smaller players to commit fouls and get them out of the game.

The game is winnable but I certainly don't feel confident.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 09:38:39 PM »
Think MU needs to slow the pace to have a chance.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 10:55:00 PM »
MU can't play any worse than last season's game at Creighton. Perhaps as bad a defensive effort as I have seen live from a MU team. We got this one, though.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 01:08:15 AM »
ESPN News has MU as a 7 point underdog and over under 149 as of 12:30 am

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 04:36:43 AM »
Wojo's teams have lost all but one of their first conference road games.. (providence OT win being the exception)

It doesn't even really matter how good the opponent is, Wojo teams usually lose their first conference road game.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 07:34:58 AM »
Wojo's teams have lost all but one of their first conference road games.. (providence OT win being the exception)

It doesn't even really matter how good the opponent is, Wojo teams usually lose their first conference road game.

Not sure why they even bother playing the game besides a glamourous trip to Omaha.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 07:59:07 AM »
Marquette has won four of their last five in Omaha. So by that logic, 80% chance of a victory tonight.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 08:05:42 AM »
Slower pace = fewer turnovers.
Faster pace = another loss.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 08:54:07 AM »
Marquette has won four of their last five in Omaha. So by that logic, 80% chance of a victory tonight.

Which is wild to me because I still have PTSD from Creighton’s first BE game (I think). If my memory is correct it was a later tip on NYE, I had a horrible case of the flu all day, stayed up to lay on the couch to watch us get completely run out of the gym. Think that was McDermott’s senior year? At Creighton has scared me since. Feels like this game is the toughest game of our season, as I think Nova just plays a style we are more comfortable with.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2020, 08:55:23 AM »
Which is wild to me because I still have PTSD from Creighton’s first BE game (I think). If my memory is correct it was a later tip on NYE, I had a horrible case of the flu all day, stayed up to lay on the couch to watch us get completely run out of the gym. Think that was McDermott’s senior year? At Creighton has scared me since. Feels like this game is the toughest game of our season, as I think Nova just plays a style we are more comfortable with.

Yep.  Late tip on NYE.  Buzz's last year and they got run out of the gym.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2020, 09:21:32 AM »

McDermott teams have lost all but two of their home games to Wojo.. (last season, and Wojo's first season being the exceptions)

It doesn't even really matter how good Marquette is, McDermott teams usually lose their home games to Wojo.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2020, 09:33:24 AM »
Time to watch the last few minutes of this .. down 5 with 9 seconds.

https://youtu.be/prEvRjy6B64?t=4293

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2020, 10:49:01 AM »
Yep.  Late tip on NYE.  Buzz's last year and they got run out of the gym.

That Creighton team was savage. McDermott obviously, but Wragge, Mahnigat, Chatman, Gibbs, they just had guys that could rain threes. Such a bad matchup for Buzz's offensively challenged squad.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2020, 10:50:32 AM »
The sheer joy on the Creighton fans faces before that sequence was priceless.

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2020, 10:53:52 AM »

Thanks for the memories!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2020, 11:00:14 AM »
Three things about that sequence:

1. All Creighton had to do was throw a weak ball into the lane, someone would have touched it and the game would have ended.

2.  I don't remember this, but the announcer seemed to think that Creighton would get a do-over on the inbound.

2.  I do remember that Ners got a short vacation because he was so insistent that Wojo made a mistake by having Markus inbound the ball.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2020, 11:14:03 AM »

Love seeing this every time.

I couldn't get this game at home so I was just watching the scoreboard. At halftime, I finally said, "I've got to go watch this," and I went to a local watering hole. It was a weeknight and there were only three others at the bar -- a young couple and the bartender.

I tried to be on my best behavior, though I did react to a few big plays, both those that were good for Marquette and were bad for us, with an "Oh!" or a clap. I was pretty restrained, though.

When Sam hit that shot, I jumped up, screamed, "YES!" and raised both hands into the air. "INCREDIBLE!" The young couple laughed a little but when they and the bartender watched the replay, they went, "Wow!" And then Markus took over in OT, and I was enjoying it immensely. The bartender, who stopped several times to watch, asked, "Who is that guy? He is amazing." That whole hour or so is something I won't forget.

What stood out for me ...

1. Had Chartouney made his first layup attempt, we almost surely would have lost.

2. The Creighton inbounder literally could have just flipped the ball to Theo and let him score a layup. I actually faced a similar situation while coaching last season, and that's what I told my player to do. The opposing kid was so surprised to get the ball that she didn't even try a shot, but it wouldn't have mattered if she had made a layup. So thanks for teaching me a lesson, McDermott & Co.!

3. Joey tried hard to get a hand on that long pass -- just instinct. Thankfully, his feet got a little tangled up and he couldn't.

4. Theo was tremendous in OT.

5. As Sultan said, Ners insisted for weeks that Wojo had screwed up even though the play was drawn up perfectly in just a matter of seconds and without benefit of a time-out, executed perfectly, Markus threw a perfect pass, Sam made the perfect shot, and we earned a huge win. It became just another chapter in the crazy Book of Ners.

6. Although I just said Sam's shot was perfect, I STILL think the ball was on the tip of his finger when time expired. I've already paid off the refs!

We Are Marquette!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 11:30:39 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2020, 11:16:45 AM »
That Creighton team was savage. McDermott obviously, but Wragge, Mahnigat, Chatman, Gibbs, they just had guys that could rain threes. Such a bad matchup for Buzz's offensively challenged squad.

I’m one of the biggest Buzz slurpers there is, but if anyone ever catches me saying, “Buzz’s teams never got blown out in conference,” just kindly refer me to this debacle.  We must’ve been down about 30 at halftime when I turned the game off and went out to the bars.  Can’t remember if I started drinking before that, but I sure needed one.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2020, 11:43:05 AM »

It's weird, I watched that and rather than feel happy I just got even more hopeful that Nova destroys Virginia in their game
Maigh Eo for Sam

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2020, 12:08:07 PM »

Too bad the cancer took over in overtime. All kidding aside I didn't remember Chartouny's impact on this OT win.
Goal is National Championship

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2020, 12:28:00 PM »
What in the world was the out of bounds call at 48 seconds left in OT? We won so I forgot all about that, but that was a clear and obvious call that they just missed even after going to the monitor.