'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by tower912
[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Extend Wojo  (Read 6495 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Extend Wojo
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2020, 10:42:40 PM »
Agreed that wojo did a nice job today. Such a different squad from 3 nights ago.

He had no choice but to play JL2, Lewis was a man out there.
He did handle Theos fouls well, mixed in Greg Elliott a good amount when he played well in both halves, gave Jamal the extended run he deserved.
At the end of the day MU beat Wisconsin at their own game in the paint, and I could have never imagined that.

A few read between the lines things I give wojo credit for today.
1) the bench was really active and everyone seemed pumped and excited, genuinely happy. Seems like a no brainer but coming off a complete dud that’s definitely coaching induced.
2) there was a point in the 2H where Carton made a mistake and was heading to bench and wojo pulled him in for a talk and DJC looked happy with what he heard and engaged. 
3) Greg Elliott didn’t play until super late last game (big mistake by coach!) but he played well late in that game. Greg got early run tonight and was very positive. Also, Cain has been a huge positive. Cain has been beat up by wojo for years and has seen his share of pine, but the fact that the Detroit boys are still playing their arse off for him is huge.
4) Defense. Very good so far, please keep that up. Hustle and passion are also there.

At the end of the day there should be no projo or nojo nonsense. We should all be projo and pro MU. Whether he is cut out for the gig he will decide, his results will show. His leash is running thin, but he’s putting up a fight and we will all be here to see if he prevails or fails, both are possible.

Weve known he can recruit, and if you don’t know that you aren’t paying attention. We don’t think he can coach and/or win. When you can recruit and lead a clean program you get a longer leash to learn to coach and win, and that’s fair imo. Let’s see if he can figure it out

This is an outstanding post, DV. You made a number of important, insightful points about the coaching that might not have been obvious to some. I know I didn't think of them immediately but found myself nodding my head as I read this.

After the Oklahoma State game, some Scoopers were talking about how the team quit, how Wojo couldn't motivate players, how they tuned him out, etc. I have said repeatedly that there are many things to take Wojo to task for, but I didn't see any of those on Tuesday, and the exact opposite happened tonight.

Side note: We have interesting options if Theo gets into foul trouble. In past years, we had to go with Heldt, who played his arse off but was not a Big East center; or Morrow, who had hands of stone, traveled 50% of the time he touched the ball, and had a 2-foot shooting range (but was huge against Madison in '18); or Jayce, who was solid on D and the boards but was an offensive non-factor. This season, we can put out a lineup that has both Garcia and Lewis on the floor, two long, talented guys who can do multiple things. Couple that with good rebounders like Jamal and Koby, and we can hang in on the boards without Theo. I was very impressed with our non-Theo-lineup's toughness tonight.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2020, 10:47:42 PM »
Most people probably think beating #1 Villanova is still Wojo’s signature win. I disagree - as great as it was it was only possible because ‘Nova went ice cold.

Tonight, coming off a disappointing loss, against the #4 team in the country who starts 5 seniors and is our most bitter rival - is the new #1 for me. Close all the way, our kids and our veterans never buckled.

Well done, Warriors! Players and coaches deserve a ton of credit!

💯
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2020, 11:10:06 PM »
Fwiw, in the Nova game, the roster had a lot of Buzz players (JJJ, DuWil). Tonight's game was all Wojo's guys.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2020, 11:14:07 PM »
The Nova win was fun because they were the top-ranked defending national champs, because Wojo's guys were trying to make a name for themselves, and because the crowd was loud and proud. Gotta love those storm-the-courters.

But beating evil Madison on a buzzer-beater just 3 days after so many were willing to give up on this "disaster" of a team ... pretty special.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2020, 11:20:58 PM »
Wojo deserves a lot of credit for this win. He has an interesting team this year. 33 of the 49 shots (67%) were taken by first year players in the program. A young nucleus of talent who will hopefully play together for at least a few years. There will be more ups and downs along the way, but I like the kids he has in the program now and it looks like they are already starting to buy in.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2020, 11:23:44 PM »
Wojo deserves a lot of credit for this win. He has an interesting team this year. 33 of the 49 shots (67%) were taken by first year players in the program. A young nucleus of talent who will hopefully play together for at least a few years. There will be more ups and downs along the way, but I like the kids he has in the program now and it looks like they are already starting to buy in.

We will have some frustrating losses this season, but I bet we have a few more amazing wins. By February, this team could be really good. I hope COVID-19 lets us see if that's the case!

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2020, 04:15:58 AM »
Congratulations Coach for getting the team prepared and coaching a good game. Carton and Lewis are winners. Please change Lewis's height on the roster to 6'8" or 6'9".