[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Extend Wojo  (Read 6486 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: Extend Wojo
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2020, 08:42:38 PM »
Most people probably think beating #1 Villanova is still Wojo’s signature win. I disagree - as great as it was it was only possible because ‘Nova went ice cold.

Tonight, coming off a disappointing loss, against the #4 team in the country who starts 5 seniors and is our most bitter rival - is the new #1 for me. Close all the way, our kids and our veterans never buckled.

Well done, Warriors! Players and coaches deserve a ton of credit!

I said it last week that I think these kids are pretty tough.  Didn’t think they’d win tonight but didn’t think they’d lie down either.  I wouldn’t call it a signature win until we see how the rest of the season plays out but it feels pretty good!
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

CrowdOf5

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2020, 08:44:33 PM »
Good catch - I retract my screaming at Carton to hurry up.

I had the same thought as you, was yelling at the TV to hurry. Odd though they were not in-sync.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2020, 08:45:06 PM »
I said it last week that I think these kids are pretty tough.  Didn’t think they’d win tonight but didn’t think they’d lie down either.  I wouldn’t call it a signature win until we see how the rest of the season plays out but it feels pretty good!

+3

And yes, I know that's an odd number.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2020, 08:45:46 PM »
Until the next loss.     Equilibrium.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2020, 08:58:40 PM »
And I get from my badger family and friends is “bad call” and “Badgers is payed crapty”

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2020, 09:01:14 PM »
Might have been the worst #4 ranked team I've ever seen pick up a basketball.  Wisco isn't top 25

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2020, 09:02:36 PM »
Might have been the worst #4 ranked team I've ever seen pick up a basketball.  Wisco isn't top 25
Zzzzzzzzzzz
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2020, 09:04:28 PM »
Wojo is 4-3 vs Wisconsin. MU is now 6-5 v Wisconsin in last 11 matchups. Wisconsin leads all time 68-59.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2020, 09:04:31 PM »
who cares? sh it goes asa top 5 win on the resume

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2020, 09:04:55 PM »
This was definitely a quality win.  And it came against the rodents, so it's doubly sweet.

I'll feel really, really good if/when we play well against a quality opponent who zones us.  ;-)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2020, 09:12:39 PM »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2020, 09:15:15 PM »
Fire Gard!!  Choke job

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2020, 09:48:12 PM »
Fire Gard!!  Choke job

He should have played zone.....

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2020, 09:52:38 PM »
This was actually a very well coached game by Woj. Not taking a timeout in the last minute made a lot of sense and worked. When Theo picked up #4, Woj brought Lewis in, but then played him the rest of the game (even when Theo came back in).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2020, 09:54:27 PM »
Wojo deserved to be criticized after Oklahoma State. As I (and others) noted, it was one of his worst coaching performances. He also deserves to be on the proverbial hot seat this season, even if he really isn't for a variety of reasons.

But he also deserves credit when it's due, and I thought he coached a great game tonight.

++ We were prepared.

++ We answered every Madison mini-run with a run of our own.

++ We had good lineup combinations on the floor all night long, including a welcome change to the starting lineup.

++ We played the end of the first half absolutely perfectly -- quick 3 by Lewis to set up a 2-for-1, defensive stop, 3 by Carton to end the half.

++ Wojo wisely called a time-out early in the 2nd half to settle our guys down. And he wisely didn't call a time-out at the end that would have let Gard set up Madison's defense.

++ We hustled. We had great intensity. We clearly were motivated. We did not act like a team that was down after a bad loss. All night long, we fiercely battled a big, experienced, talented team that is expected to make a Final Four run.

++ We made mistakes for sure but we were resilient and atoned for our mistakes every time.

++ We committed only 11 turnovers.

++ We played aggressive, winning defense just about all night long.

++ We played through adversity (particularly 4 fouls in the first minute of the second half, including 2 that benched Theo).

++ And we pulled it out in the end to win a one-possession game, always a sign of good coaching.

Yes, Justin got a fortunate bounce on the winning hoop, but it wasn't some wild slap at the ball. He made a basketball play. Similarly, this didn't feel like a "lucky" win by an undeserving team. We earned this by playing solid, intense hoops for 40 minutes against a top-5 team.

Congrats to Wojo, congrats to the players, and congrats to Warriors and Golden Eagles everywhere.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2020, 09:55:08 PM »
Lenny

I agree this is best win in Wojo era. His young recruits and transfer played big and beat a veteran team. Their half court D is looking very good and hopefully we can extend to full court down the road.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2020, 10:01:21 PM »
Wojo deserved to be criticized after Oklahoma State. As I (and others) noted, it was one of his worst coaching performances. He also deserves to be on the proverbial hot seat this season, even if he really isn't for a variety of reasons.

But he also deserves credit when it's due, and I thought he coached a great game tonight.

++ We were prepared.

++ We answered every Madison mini-run with a run of our own.

++ We had good lineup combinations on the floor all night long, including a welcome change to the starting lineup.

++ We played the end of the first half absolutely perfectly -- quick 3 by Lewis to set up a 2-for-1, defensive stop, 3 by Carton to end the half.

++ Wojo wisely called a time-out early in the 2nd half to settle our guys down. And he wisely didn't call a time-out at the end that would have let Gard set up Madison's defense.

++ We hustled. We had great intensity. We clearly were motivated. We did not act like a team that was down after a bad loss. All night long, we fiercely battled a big, experienced, talented team that is expected to make a Final Four run.

++ We made mistakes for sure but we were resilient and atoned for our mistakes every time.

++ We committed only 11 turnovers.

++ We played aggressive, winning defense just about all night long.

++ We played through adversity (particularly 4 fouls in the first minute of the second half, including 2 that benched Theo).

++ And we pulled it out in the end to win a one-possession game, always a sign of good coaching.

Yes, Justin got a fortunate bounce on the winning hoop, but it wasn't some wild slap at the ball. He made a basketball play. Similarly, this didn't feel like a "lucky" win by an undeserving team. We earned this by playing solid, intense hoops for 40 minutes against a top-5 team.

Congrats to Wojo, congrats to the players, and congrats to Warriors and Golden Eagles everywhere.

We Are Marquette!

Love ya ‘82
Funny we are at a point (well deserved) where we say only 11 TO’s!
I got ya fam!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2020, 10:02:20 PM »

What a turd.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2020, 10:06:00 PM »
Agreed that wojo did a nice job today. Such a different squad from 3 nights ago.

He had no choice but to play JL2, Lewis was a man out there.
He did handle Theos fouls well, mixed in Greg Elliott a good amount when he played well in both halves, gave Jamal the extended run he deserved.
At the end of the day MU beat Wisconsin at their own game in the paint, and I could have never imagined that.

A few read between the lines things I give wojo credit for today.
1) the bench was really active and everyone seemed pumped and excited, genuinely happy. Seems like a no brainer but coming off a complete dud that’s definitely coaching induced.
2) there was a point in the 2H where Carton made a mistake and was heading to bench and wojo pulled him in for a talk and DJC looked happy with what he heard and engaged. 
3) Greg Elliott didn’t play until super late last game (big mistake by coach!) but he played well late in that game. Greg got early run tonight and was very positive. Also, Cain has been a huge positive. Cain has been beat up by wojo for years and has seen his share of pine, but the fact that the Detroit boys are still playing their arse off for him is huge.
4) Defense. Very good so far, please keep that up. Hustle and passion are also there.

At the end of the day there should be no projo or nojo nonsense. We should all be projo and pro MU. Whether he is cut out for the gig he will decide, his results will show. His leash is running thin, but he’s putting up a fight and we will all be here to see if he prevails or fails, both are possible.

Weve known he can recruit, and if you don’t know that you aren’t paying attention. We don’t think he can coach and/or win. When you can recruit and lead a clean program you get a longer leash to learn to coach and win, and that’s fair imo. Let’s see if he can figure it out

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2020, 10:08:43 PM »
Lenny

I agree this is best win in Wojo era. His young recruits and transfer played big and beat a veteran team. Their half court D is looking very good and hopefully we can extend to full court down the road.

Better than #1 Nova when MU was much worse?

mug644

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2020, 10:09:14 PM »
I was thinking about quoting MU82’s great post, and highlight in bold key areas where I thought players, more than Wojo, stepped up.

But I decided that it came down to Wojo’s choice to start Carton instead of Sy. And, more importantly, of Carton’s to take control of the game. He was not amazing himself, but he set the tone for the entire team.

To me, Carton was the MVP (though I voted for, and stand by it, Justin as Stud).

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2020, 10:13:48 PM »
Most people probably think beating #1 Villanova is still Wojo’s signature win. I disagree - as great as it was it was only possible because ‘Nova went ice cold.

Tonight, coming off a disappointing loss, against the #4 team in the country who starts 5 seniors and is our most bitter rival - is the new #1 for me. Close all the way, our kids and our veterans never buckled.

Well done, Warriors! Players and coaches deserve a ton of credit!

+1, well said.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2020, 10:14:26 PM »
Exactly. I think I'd rate a win over #1 Nova with 4 or 5 future NBAers over a win against a team that has at best a couple of guys who will play briefly in low level Euro leagues.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2020, 10:19:26 PM »
jesmu

The win against nova was an unreal W and a great night in program history. Tonight they played tough D, showed composure, had young guys step up and delivered the goods. Nova was a far better team than we beat tonight but IMO this was a bigger and more impressive W.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2020, 10:31:04 PM »

Yes and no. That was a bigger win for sure. However, that win involved making insane shots with Nova going ice cold from the floor. This was a better coaching win where a top 5 team was playing well but we matched them punch for punch. The rivalry aspect doesn't hurt either.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback