Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo post OK St  (Read 6542 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Wojo post OK St
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2020, 09:37:28 AM »
What would be an acceptable press conference from Wojo?  I honestly wonder if anybody has ever seen a press conference from any other coach after a loss.  Do you really think he's going to come out and say, "We came out strong but I took too long to adjust to their zone.  When we finally did come up with our plan, the guards couldn't get the ball into the middle of the zone, and when they did the guys in the middle of the zone weren't strong with the basketball and turned it over, and we saw no leadership from our upperclassmen."

Wojo sucks.  If it weren't for covid or some great season that isn't coming this year he should be gone.  But this is the same press conference about 95% of college basketball coaches would give.  Not to mention, everything he said is true.  We have 6 new players out of 11 scholarship players on the roster.  We missed 2 weeks of practice due to shutting the program down.  If you didn't think things would get sloppy at times before January, you're delusional.

Well some here would ask that he  be like Buzz after we were decimated by UNC and try to break down minutes of which we were "winning" and then say "if you toss out that massive run they had to close the first half we won the game"

This isn't a political reference this is actually pretty close to what buzz said in the UNC postgame
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2020, 09:45:25 AM »
What would be an acceptable press conference from Wojo?  I honestly wonder if anybody has ever seen a press conference from any other coach after a loss.  Do you really think he's going to come out and say, "We came out strong but I took too long to adjust to their zone.  When we finally did come up with our plan, the guards couldn't get the ball into the middle of the zone, and when they did the guys in the middle of the zone weren't strong with the basketball and turned it over, and we saw no leadership from our upperclassmen."

Wojo sucks.  If it weren't for covid or some great season that isn't coming this year he should be gone.  But this is the same press conference about 95% of college basketball coaches would give.  Not to mention, everything he said is true.  We have 6 new players out of 11 scholarship players on the roster.  We missed 2 weeks of practice due to shutting the program down.  If you didn't think things would get sloppy at times before January, you're delusional.

Maybe I missed it, but I would have appreciated one comment to the effect of, “I didn’t have our guys ready enough for a zone defense.” It seemed like all his comments were about how they didn’t do what they needed to do or they turned it over too much. Really seemed to put it all on the players.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2020, 09:47:41 AM »

"We came out strong, but we needed to do a better job adjusting to their zone.  OSU isn't AKPB.  OSU is a legit opponent with one of the best players in the nation.  We held him to 15 points and 6 rebounds.  So I am happy with the way our defense performed.  We should have been more aggressive on offense, and that is on me and prep.  We are working with a lot less practice than we are used to and because of that, we lack a strong offensive identity, which is why we struggled.  Our upperclassmen have shown great leadership in practice, but we need that to carry over into game situations.  The lack of fans in the stands is a strange thing we are working through.  You know our guys feed off of the crowds emotion, and with that gone, basketball is strange right now.  We will get better, the season is young and we have a great group of guys.  I'm proud of the adversity that these guys have dealt with this off season and so far this season.  After today, its on to Wisconsin... and they're a really good team."

Personally, I prefer honesty.  That paragraph addresses the question without singling anyone out.  It wraps the criticism of the team in positives as well.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2020, 09:57:55 AM »
How about, "This is my 7th year at Marquette.  We have made it to the NCAA tourney twice, and I have failed to lead us to a single NCAA victory.  I have also failed to win the BEAST in any of those six years.  While I am proud of the way the program conducts itself, and I take credit for that, I must also take credit for a team that finishes in the bottom half of the BEAST more often than in the top half.  Individual game losses come with a myriad of reasons and rationales.  Full seasons often take on a similar discussion with transfers, recruiting, injuries, etc...  Bottom line, all schools and all coaches have to deal with this.  Again, I'm extremely proud of the character shown within our program, but I know that the expectation is we do things the right way and we finish in the upper tier of the BEAST.  I know we need to be a regular in the NCAA tourney, and I know we need to win there as well.  If I cannot do this at MU, I do not belong here."

Wade-A-Minute

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2020, 09:59:20 AM »
I suggest all the above naysayers listen to Huggy's postgame presser after their loss to the Zags. Pay close attention to his comments about back doors, ball screens and being young. Sometimes players just don't do what they are told no matter how many times they are told. Happens to the best coaches.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2020, 10:27:03 AM »
I suggest all the above naysayers listen to Huggy's postgame presser after their loss to the Zags. Pay close attention to his comments about back doors, ball screens and being young. Sometimes players just don't do what they are told no matter how many times they are told. Happens to the best coaches.

Bob Huggins is a HOF coach.

Steve Wojciechowski has only sat next to a HOF coach.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2020, 10:52:05 AM »
Maybe I missed it, but I would have appreciated one comment to the effect of, “I didn’t have our guys ready enough for a zone defense.” It seemed like all his comments were about how they didn’t do what they needed to do or they turned it over too much. Really seemed to put it all on the players.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding! It's called displacement.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2020, 10:53:43 AM »
How about, "This is my 7th year at Marquette.  We have made it to the NCAA tourney twice, and I have failed to lead us to a single NCAA victory.  I have also failed to win the BEAST in any of those six years.  While I am proud of the way the program conducts itself, and I take credit for that, I must also take credit for a team that finishes in the bottom half of the BEAST more often than in the top half.  Individual game losses come with a myriad of reasons and rationales.  Full seasons often take on a similar discussion with transfers, recruiting, injuries, etc...  Bottom line, all schools and all coaches have to deal with this.  Again, I'm extremely proud of the character shown within our program, but I know that the expectation is we do things the right way and we finish in the upper tier of the BEAST.  I know we need to be a regular in the NCAA tourney, and I know we need to win there as well.  If I cannot do this at MU, I do not belong here."

This is exactly what I mean.  NoJos are just so, so anxious to criticize anything and everything they can about Wojo that when he simply answers a question from a reporter about what he tells his young players after their first bad experience in college hoops they're like, "Oh my God back to the lame excuses by Wojo!"

Or, you have the NoJos counting last year towards the number of years coached, but then saying he's only made two NCAA Tournaments.  Marquette was going to make the NCAA Tournament last year.  You can criticize Wojo without the desperate sensationalizing of everything.  You don't need to come off as stupid to criticize the guy.  There's plenty there for you to criticize.  But that's just blatantly ignoring the fact that his team was an NCAA Tournament team last year.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2020, 11:11:00 AM »
Press conference was totally fine. The coaching was not.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2020, 01:42:20 PM »
I prefer the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker rambles, the Jimmy Mac attacks or the "as God is my witness, these were the worst referees I have ever witnessed in my entire life" in the post-game pressers.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2020, 03:12:45 PM »
I'm with you, Dr. B.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2020, 05:14:23 PM »
This is exactly what I mean.  NoJos are just so, so anxious to criticize anything and everything they can about Wojo that when he simply answers a question from a reporter about what he tells his young players after their first bad experience in college hoops they're like, "Oh my God back to the lame excuses by Wojo!"

Or, you have the NoJos counting last year towards the number of years coached, but then saying he's only made two NCAA Tournaments.  Marquette was going to make the NCAA Tournament last year.  You can criticize Wojo without the desperate sensationalizing of everything.  You don't need to come off as stupid to criticize the guy.  There's plenty there for you to criticize.  But that's just blatantly ignoring the fact that his team was an NCAA Tournament team last year.
Yeah...not that anxious...supported the hell out of him for 3-4 years.  Bottom line...2 NCAA's and no wins...poor conference play...hasn't met the expectations and has had plenty of time. 

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2020, 06:10:49 PM »
I prefer the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker rambles, the Jimmy Mac attacks or the "as God is my witness, these were the worst referees I have ever witnessed in my entire life" in the post-game pressers.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic (I don't think you are) but I do miss having a coach with charisma and a big personality.  Could you imagine Wojo dancing on the court after a huge road win?  He's a complete stiff, a total Stepford coach.  I understand that this was a big selling point at the time of his hire, but I think the powers that be overcompensated.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2020, 06:19:14 PM »
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic (I don't think you are) but I do miss having a coach with charisma and a big personality.  Could you imagine Wojo dancing on the court after a huge road win?  He's a complete stiff, a total Stepford coach.  I understand that this was a big selling point at the time of his hire, but I think the powers that be overcompensated.

2020-21 Meme Watch: Stepford Coach

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2020, 03:26:24 PM »
Nothing new, Brew

Just start the video at 4:30.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbjD7Yf0f00
That’s embarrassing. Someone asks him about HIS OWN quotes and he’s too mentally fragile to cope. Yikes.
No Finish Line

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2020, 03:35:15 PM »
This quote really rankled me. Yes, it is, and that's why Marquette pays you so much money to do it! And that's why we have such high expectations for our program! We get it, your job is hard, but you're the one who chose to do it and who took on that responsibility, so when you can't produce the results we are paying for, you are the one who has to acknowledge you aren't doing that job.

PREACH!!!! Enough Wojo Powerpoints. He hasn't won a BEAST Regular season or tournament title and hasn't won a NCAA game. He lost control of his locker room and the Hauser's left. He's been here for 6 years. no more excuses, its on HIM. He leads the program.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2020, 03:37:58 PM »

The Butcher, The Baker, The Candlestick maker is the best post game press conference comments I've heard from a college coach. haha

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2020, 03:38:58 PM »
That’s embarrassing. Someone asks him about HIS OWN quotes and he’s too mentally fragile to cope. Yikes.

I actually liked that he said it was all his responsibility I mean he didn't throw anyone under the bus or anything. Where is he too fragile?
Maigh Eo for Sam

panda

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2020, 03:43:07 PM »
I actually liked that he said it was all his responsibility I mean he didn't throw anyone under the bus or anything. Where is he too fragile?

The question was where can he improve on his coaching and he yelled at the reporter saying never come after my players all while skirting the actual question.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2020, 03:43:32 PM »

Really? he never answered the question. He just gave a sarcastic dickhead response. he used the excuse his team was young... well then go find some grad or JUCO transfers.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2020, 03:43:43 PM »
He couldn’t have been less genuine in his “put it all on me shtick”. From telling the reporter to pick it apart and tell him where he needs to get better to his “our top 13 offense isn’t good enough” to his constant fiddling with the mic. Not one word was him taking any actual accountability.
No Finish Line

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2020, 03:46:15 PM »
Guess I just read him wrong I took it as him working himself up because people were putting it on his players at the time
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback