Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 03:25:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I've officially put down the Kool-Aid  (Read 6153 times)

MUAlum99

• Scholarship Player
Re: The Other Board...
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 09:27:26 AM »

So being real is quitting as a fan because your team lost a game? Being real is quitting on a team and then having an avatar that displays a picture of James and Matthews?

Listen "Coobey" - you don't know me at all.  Childish and hypocritical?  Coming from a guy with a name "Coobeys Oil Depot" that really hurts.   ::)   You want to talk about childish?  How about name calling?  I think I gave that up in 5th grade.  Grow up. 

Did you miss your Hooked on Phonics lesson this morning?  Where in my original quote did I EVER say that I had quit?

I'll use my parenting reference again - if my kid embarrasses me in public, I don't quit on them.  I'm disappointed for a few days, but deep down, I still love them.  My relationship with this team is much the same.  It's just too bad that they keep disappointing me - so I've been pretty upset with them since the WVU loss. 

More often than not since the BE season started, this team has played like a pile of fresh, stinky poo.  I'm not going to sit here and pretend (like you and many others) that everything is "OK" with this team.  NEWS FLASH: This team is terrible right now.  So what if they make the NCAA's with a 10-8 record?  Do you really, honestly feel like we can do some damage limping into the tourney that way?

For a team that was supposed to challenge Georgetown and Louisville for the conference title, I really haven't seen much to back that up...please correct me if I'm wrong, since you seem to be an expert in all things.

That being said, I'm traveling 3 hours to South Bend to watch them this weekend.  I'm going to sit in my seats wearing blue and gold for the rest of the home games.  Is that quitting?  I just want to make sure before I do anything drastic.   ?-(
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because warriors are what we really are."  - Wesley Matthews

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 10:15:04 AM »

So being real is quitting as a fan because your team lost a game? Being real is quitting on a team and then having an avatar that displays a picture of James and Matthews?

Listen "Coobey" - you don't know me at all.  Childish and hypocritical?  Coming from a guy with a name "Coobeys Oil Depot" that really hurts.   ::)   You want to talk about childish?  How about name calling?  I think I gave that up in 5th grade.  Grow up. 

Did you miss your Hooked on Phonics lesson this morning?  Where in my original quote did I EVER say that I had quit?

I'll use my parenting reference again - if my kid embarrasses me in public, I don't quit on them.  I'm disappointed for a few days, but deep down, I still love them.  My relationship with this team is much the same.  It's just too bad that they keep disappointing me - so I've been pretty upset with them since the WVU loss. 

More often than not since the BE season started, this team has played like a pile of fresh, stinky poo.  I'm not going to sit here and pretend (like you and many others) that everything is "OK" with this team.  NEWS FLASH: This team is terrible right now.  So what if they make the NCAA's with a 10-8 record?  Do you really, honestly feel like we can do some damage limping into the tourney that way?

For a team that was supposed to challenge Georgetown and Louisville for the conference title, I really haven't seen much to back that up...please correct me if I'm wrong, since you seem to be an expert in all things.

That being said, I'm traveling 3 hours to South Bend to watch them this weekend.  I'm going to sit in my seats wearing blue and gold for the rest of the home games.  Is that quitting?  I just want to make sure before I do anything drastic.   ?-(

Wow.

When you write that you've left the game early, or "hoping" they can get a NIT game, and write how embarrassed you were by the team to some that can be considered quitting. I didn't see the connection between slamming the team and being a realist. There's an area between realist and optimist we all can stay in. Sorry I misinterpreted your comments.

I didn't name call you. I just entered my opinion that your words seemed childish (NIT home game?) and hypocritical. This is a message board. We're here for opinions. Mine didn't jive with yours, just like your opinions didn't jive with others that you called out, but no reason to claim name calling (especially considering you made fun of my screen name -- isn't that name calling?).

Speaking of Hooked on Phonics (name calling again from you) perhaps you should actually read my posts before claiming I think everything is "okay". Hell, in the post you lifted from I wrote that MU has only played 2 good games in the Big East and at times has looked downright putrid. How could you have missed that, Hooked on Phonics? (That's name calling).

ATWizJr

• All American
Re: I've officially put down the Kool-Aid
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 04:36:07 PM »
For those of us who are new to this board, what is the "other board" to which reference is being made?

Thanks.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 04:59:50 PM »
For those of us who are new to this board, what is the "other board" to which reference is being made?

Thanks.

There is another Marquette message board on the Scout network.

On that board, they attribute our loss to Michigan State last year to the fact that Izzo was extremely familiar with MU. This reasoning does not take into account that Crean worked for Michigan State for at least 5 years and, you would assume, knew even more about how Izzo runs practices.

They also attribute our loss to Alabama to the fact that we were shaken after a bomb scare before the NCAA two years ago. Apparently, the bomb scare had no effect on our opponent, who raced to a huge halftime lead.

You should check it out!!

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 05:25:41 PM »
you can find the scout board at: http://marquette.scout.com/

you can also find lots of other good blogs, boards, and related sites in general by navigating through the "RESOURCES" entry in the menu at the top left of this site.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

4everwarriors

• All American
Here's Some Advice...
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008, 06:35:47 PM »
don't waste your time over there. You'll be banned if you post that Crean breaks wind.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 06:39:54 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
Re: Here's Some Advice...
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 06:37:49 PM »
dont't waste your time over there. You'll be banned if you post that Crean breaks wind.

Not so sure about that... Crean can break wind, but if he doesn't claim it, it becomes your responsibility to take the fall for the methane level in the room.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2008, 06:56:11 PM »
We have had losing streaks before, we have teams that under-achieved before.   The Ville game sucked and I turned it off with 10 minutes to go to keep from breaking something.    The sun came up.   Who knew?  I straddled the Majerus/Dukiet era, so I guess 16-5 (6-4) is not what I was hoping for from this team, but I am not feeling a need to bury a razor blade in my wrist.   Our lack of inside production and our inconsistent shooting can only be hidden so long.   Eventually, everyone is going to know the secret to beating MU is to pound the ball inside and zone us.    We will struggle against every team that effectively does those things.   
We have a solid class coming in.   Hell, if the internet rumors started on this board are to be believed, we may even have another schollie or two available.      So, yeah, everybody should be frustrated.   We may well be one and done again, which will suck.    Is this going to keep anyone from rooting for us next year?   Only one team's fans per sport end the season happy.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 06:11:16 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2008, 09:25:05 PM »

Thanks.
Just so you know the Scout board has an answer for everything.
Let me give you an example.  I will ask general questions and Dodds will give you the answer.

Q:"Why did Marquette lay such an Egg against Alabama and Michigan State?"
Dodds A: "Well that is because their was a bomb threat against Alabama that really through off our team, but you know what we played a hell of a game and probably would have won if Trevor Mbakwe was Elligible.  Against Michigan state, our best player was injured with the Typhoid Fever (Perhaps he was playing to much Oregon Trail), We were placed in the State of North Carolina, and Crean didnt have enough time to prepare

Q: "Why do we struggle so much this year"
Dodds A: Well this year would have been totally different if a Freshman who I have never seen play a college game wasnt injured, also Dominick James has a bad case of Vaginitis but I think it is the stomach flu.  But come on nobody expected this team to improve"

They have an excuse for everything.
The only people on that board who are smart are Murrfies, Gomarquette, and IWB.  Everyone else would give Crean a Blumpkin

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2008, 04:20:48 PM »

The only people on that board who are smart are Murrfies, Gomarquette, and IWB.  Everyone else would give Crean a Blumpkin

Do you feel that way because people make fun of you over the whole Kansas State thing?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2008, 04:49:26 PM »

Do you feel that way because people make fun of you over the whole Kansas State thing?

No, we make fun of Nate because he sucks at life - big difference.
But I like to throw handfuls...

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
Sucks at Life????
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2008, 05:55:39 PM »
How so????

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2008, 08:51:17 PM »

In my mind, Marquette has played 2 good Big East games. The rest have been battles between absolute awesomeness and absolute awfulness. But since fan is short for fanatic I'm going to take the 6-4 record through ten games knowing that in 8 of those games they've looked downright putrid at times.

Just curious, but which two?

I'd say Providence, Notre Dame, and Cincinnati were all excellent performances and DePaul and Seton Hall were good wins. 

And I'm not sure South Florida was all that bad--our eight point win compares reasonably well with Georgetown's 10 point win. With Gransbury, it's not as if they're devoid of talent. 

We have 4 losses--three of which are to likely buy teams in the Big East tournament.  Compare that record to Pitt, who has 2 losses to teams who likely won't even qualify for the BET.   

Compare our wins to Syracuse, who has six wins by virtue of beating the 11th, 12th, 13th 14th, 15th and 16th place teams. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2008, 09:20:04 PM »

In my mind, Marquette has played 2 good Big East games. The rest have been battles between absolute awesomeness and absolute awfulness. But since fan is short for fanatic I'm going to take the 6-4 record through ten games knowing that in 8 of those games they've looked downright putrid at times.

I'd say Providence, Notre Dame, and Cincinnati were all excellent performances and DePaul and Seton Hall were good wins. 

And I'm not sure South Florida was all that bad--our eight point win compares reasonably well with Georgetown's 10 point win. With Gransbury, it's not as if they're devoid of talent. 

We have 4 losses--three of which are to likely buy teams in the Big East tournament.  Compare that record to Pitt, who has 2 losses to teams who likely won't even qualify for the BET.   

Compare our wins to Syracuse, who has six wins by virtue of beating the 11th, 12th, 13th 14th, 15th and 16th place teams. 

Shhh.....how dare you!

;)

And tomorrow is another brutal game....we've had very few "breaks" in our conference season thus far.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2008, 10:16:14 AM »

For me, it's only Providence and Notre Dame. I'm talking full games. 40 minutes. The kind of performance we expected from this team. If you'll have read my other posts you'll know that I've given them credit for pockets of playing great but that doesn't overlay the pockets of poor performances.

I wouldn't call Cincinnati an excellent performance. They were pretty bad in the first half. Same with DePaul. They sucked in the first half and they let a 20 point win be whittled down to a 8 point win with a lack of focus at the end. South Florida and Seton Hall were simply brutal games by both teams.

I'm not in the business of comparing MU's wins with other teams' wins. Perhaps my standards are too high for what is a "good game" but considering the age and experience of our primary players I don't think that's too much to ask.

feedback