[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 20-21 Expectations  (Read 6472 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: 20-21 Expectations
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2020, 10:52:42 AM »

And ASU's decision is 100% NOT about concern over health.  It's about concern over an infection that can shut their team down for two weeks.

I get that but that is my point.

Baylor is technically able to play Wednesday. But the game is still cancelled because the other program doesn't want to risk being shut down.

Because when teams do have players test positive and they have to shut down, its two weeks for the entire team.

At the collegiate level with the guidelines in place(not saying I disagree with them at all) it's simply impossible to make this work without a bubble.

You have to have the NFL "next man up" mentality with the possible rescheduling of a few games here or there to make it work with no bubble.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2020, 11:42:14 AM »
I get that but that is my point.

Baylor is technically able to play Wednesday. But the game is still cancelled because the other program doesn't want to risk being shut down.

Because when teams do have players test positive and they have to shut down, its two weeks for the entire team.

At the collegiate level with the guidelines in place(not saying I disagree with them at all) it's simply impossible to make this work without a bubble.

You have to have the NFL "next man up" mentality with the possible rescheduling of a few games here or there to make it work with no bubble.
Player A can get it this week and a team shuts down for two weeks. Then player B can get it and the team will need to shut down another two weeks. That is why I think there is very little chance of MU plays 13 games.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2020, 11:54:04 AM »
6th in BE and well placed on the bubble. More ceiling than floor.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2020, 12:37:00 PM »
Reflecting on all the cancelations being announced today....

Considering how much the NCAA *needs* the tournament to take place this Spring, why weren't they more front and center with plans for this upcoming basketball season?  Instead we have schools still planning to flying around the country to hold relatively meaningless non-conference games.  The NCAA's decentralized model works great...until it doesn't.  And now there is no leadership to be had anywhere.

Unless the NCAA, or a conference, or even a coach, steps up and calls for some bold leadership here, I have a feeling that this will be a season of starts and stops...ending in what will basically be an invitational tournament of crappy basketball.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2020, 12:53:53 PM »

Other than Baylor, did I miss some?  And ASU is back in the tournament since Baylor now dropped out.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2020, 12:55:36 PM »
Other than Baylor, did I miss some?  And ASU is back in the tournament since Baylor now dropped out.

Can't imagine Tennessee is going to start the season on time.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30373832/tennessee-volunteers-pause-activities-rick-barnes-tests-positive-coronavirus

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2020, 01:21:34 PM »
Not sure whi runs it, but this seems to be a pretty good roundup of quarantine pauses around CBB.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1B0Y8KmRPiG9_8G6U4QycuMymH2SY_CbHA-eAhPn8suI/htmlview

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2020, 01:45:00 PM »

Ole Miss cancelled 4 games.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2020, 03:02:31 PM »
Not sure whi runs it, but this seems to be a pretty good roundup of quarantine pauses around CBB.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1B0Y8KmRPiG9_8G6U4QycuMymH2SY_CbHA-eAhPn8suI/htmlview

Well that's a lot more than I was aware!

edit: sheet owner appears to be owner of the Bonnies forums: https://twitter.com/SBUnfurled - props!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:16:29 PM by rocky_warrior »

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2020, 04:14:52 PM »
I have a similar view point. All going to come down to who does the best job of coaching over the long 20 game conference season.

It may be who does the best job of staying healthy.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2020, 09:49:31 PM »
8 players and the coach on Utah got it

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2020, 06:21:33 AM »

Considering how much the NCAA *needs* the tournament to take place this Spring, why weren't they more front and center with plans for this upcoming basketball season?  Instead we have schools still planning to flying around the country to hold relatively meaningless non-conference games.  The NCAA's decentralized model works great...until it doesn't.  And now there is no leadership to be had anywhere.

Unless the NCAA, or a conference, or even a coach, steps up and calls for some bold leadership here, I have a feeling that this will be a season of starts and stops...ending in what will basically be an invitational tournament of crappy basketball.

I really think using the MTEs as round robin bubbles or creating localized bubbles as the only non-con was the way they should've went. It gives the cross-pollenation that's necessary for a competent selection process with less risk. Reduces travel, lessens transmission risk, still allows systems like NET & kenpom to operate.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2020, 06:31:18 AM »
If enough games are played, we have the talent to make the tournament, and that is my expectation

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2020, 08:30:10 AM »
I really think using the MTEs as round robin bubbles or creating localized bubbles as the only non-con was the way they should've went. It gives the cross-pollenation that's necessary for a competent selection process with less risk. Reduces travel, lessens transmission risk, still allows systems like NET & kenpom to operate.

Bubbles are expensive.  The fact is there is going to be a lot of guesswork by the committee because the metrics for non-conference games will be trash. 

We are just going to have to hope for the best.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2020, 10:21:23 AM »

The fact is there is going to be a lot of guesswork by the committee because the metrics for non-conference games will be trash.

Back to the "old days" -- like when MU snuck into the tourney in 1977!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2020, 10:43:39 AM »

Bubbles are expensive.  The fact is there is going to be a lot of guesswork by the committee because the metrics for non-conference games will be trash. 

We are just going to have to hope for the best.

Exactly why I though the MTE was the best way to do it. You have sponsor dollars and programs with major conference dollars able to help facilitate testing for the smaller schools. The whole traveling thing is really haphazard and dangerous.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.