[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dexter Status  (Read 16561 times)

Silent Verbal

• All American
Re: Dexter Status
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2020, 10:55:52 PM »
I know he missed a lot of practice time, but Dexter did about as well as a random guy from the rec center would’ve tonight.  That turnover where he picked up his dribble and then turned it over on a completely telegraphed pass was embarrassing, and then about 30 seconds later he completely air-balled a three.  I don’t think we’ll see much of him vs Creighton.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2020, 11:00:46 PM »
It's almost like he was the #400 ranked recruit in his class, who needed to redshirt as a freshman to get up to speed, and is still not ready for high-major D1 ball.

That's okay, it was always going to take time, but we were again effectively entranced by mixtapes.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2020, 11:09:49 PM »
I know he missed a lot of practice time, but Dexter did about as well as a random guy from the rec center would’ve tonight.  That turnover where he picked up his dribble and then turned it over on a completely telegraphed pass was embarrassing, and then about 30 seconds later he completely air-balled a three.  I don’t think we’ll see much of him vs Creighton.

Not a good TO for sure by Dex on this play, but this is a major problem I have with this team.

First, guys pick up the dribble way to often.  And many times when they do, their teammates stand and raise their arms and don't move at all to create a better passing lane.

So when Dex picked up his dribble, he looked to the post, then the wing, then the post, then the wing and finally forced to the post and it got stolen.  During that time, the post guy or wing guy didn't move to help.  I was screaming for someone to move.

So TO on Dex for sure, but no help from teammates

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2020, 11:15:40 PM »
It's almost like he was the #400 ranked recruit in his class, who needed to redshirt as a freshman to get up to speed, and is still not ready for high-major D1 ball.

That's okay, it was always going to take time, but we were again effectively entranced by mixtapes.

Solid take. He’s not close. Don’t understand how Jose Perez isn’t closer to game action and can’t get those minutes but that’s another story

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2020, 11:17:00 PM »
First, guys pick up the dribble way to often.  And many times when they do, their teammates stand and raise their arms and don't move at all to create a better passing lane.

I hate how often I find myself yelling "come to him!" at the TV.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2020, 11:18:54 PM »
Solid take. He’s not close. Don’t understand how Jose Perez isn’t closer to game action and can’t get those minutes but that’s another story
I forgot perez was even on the team. given the hideous shooting and scoring drought maybe throw the kid in?

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2020, 11:21:04 PM »
Niv Akanno

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2020, 11:28:08 PM »
I think the staff know that Dexter is better than what he's producing on the floor and that's why he keeps getting minutes. Covid knocked him on his a$$ and he's still recovering and getting used to playing with this team. I don't know how long we can afford to give him run hoping he's going to come alive.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2020, 12:28:55 AM »

+1 people bought the rumor but aren't selling the news.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2020, 08:00:32 AM »
Don't forget the 'missed 4 weeks of practice due to catching COVID'.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2020, 08:43:54 AM »
Dexter is going to help us this year. He needs to get his legs under him and make a positive play or two and then it will all start to come together. He is rusty and coming off an extended absence due to illness. Hopefully sooner than later because we need another slasher that can get to the basket.

MU Courtside

• Walk-On
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2020, 08:51:46 AM »
Feel like when he is in, he is always in a rush trying to make a big play or hero type play. Needs to let the game come to him a bit.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2020, 08:55:34 AM »
Courtside, you aren't wrong.     Look, he had a good summer of pick up games.    He was probably still feeling it and was practicing well.    And then he caught COVID and missed 4 weeks.     He is young.    He probably feels he has to be everything he showed in those videos from the summer.     Right now, he doesn't have his legs, his wind, or his timing.     It will take time, but he will contribute.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2020, 09:08:13 AM »
Dexter is going to help us this year. He needs to get his legs under him and make a positive play or two and then it will all start to come together. He is rusty and coming off an extended absence due to illness. Hopefully sooner than later because we need another slasher that can get to the basket.

However, it's real hard to put him on the floor when he is such a net negative.  Between Covid and the lack of buy games, I fear its going to be another lost season for him.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2020, 09:12:37 AM »
MU really needs one of Greg, Dex, and Perez to emerge. Thought Greg gave good minutes last night. Wouldn’t mind seeing Perez get an opportunity as scoring was a struggle last night and he did average double figures at the D1 level last year. Akanno has a long way to go though and not expecting much from him the rest of the way, but hoping the coaching staff is able to keep morale high there.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2020, 09:21:19 AM »
However, it's real hard to put him on the floor when he is such a net negative.  Between Covid and the lack of buy games, I fear its going to be another lost season for him.
This is all true. Hope it happens for him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2020, 08:48:07 AM »
I am curious about his DNP last night.   Performance related or out of an abundance of caution after what happened in Florida?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2020, 08:57:56 AM »
I am curious about his DNP last night.   Performance related or out of an abundance of caution after what happened in Florida?

It could be those speculative items.  I would say my first instinct was that we didnt need him.  GE was awesome and filling the role nicely.  Goal was clearly to use our length and bigs in the 2H -- Dex hasnt played well and didn't fill a need in that plan.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2020, 09:23:14 AM »

Considering how the rest of the guards were playing, whose minutes would he have taken? Certainly not DJ or Greg. And while Koby had some turnover issues, he also hit some big shots. I expect last night was the rotation we'll generally see. Torrence will probably play once healthy, but I'd guess Akanno, Oso, and Perez are going to get emergency use.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2020, 09:23:47 AM »

It's been a rough go for Dexter.  I'm sure the Covid set him back, but he's been absolutely terrible so far.  54.4 ORTG, 0.0 eFG, 0.0 assist rate, 45.9 TO rate, 29.2 usage.

At this point, I can't see how he gets minutes.  Let him get back into the swing of things in practice first.  Maybe he gets a little run later in the year, but I wouldn't be surprised if this year is a total loss for Dexter.

I still have hope for Dexter long term.  After all, Sacar did nothing his first two years and he ended up a 3 year starter.  Let's give Dexter time to keep developing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2020, 09:55:56 AM »
Dex can get some minutes Thurs when we're up on SH by 20 with 5 minutes to go!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2020, 10:06:06 AM »
It's going to be a lost year for Dexter.  I hope he sticks it out but he was always a project, and with catching Covid and few buy games, it was always going to be an uphill battle.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2020, 10:13:18 AM »
Dex can get some minutes Thurs when we're up on SH by 20 with 5 minutes to go!

Over the walk-ons? Ridiculous and you are a bad guy for saying that. - Anonymous Eagle

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2020, 12:38:36 PM »
It's been a rough go for Dexter.  I'm sure the Covid set him back, but he's been absolutely terrible so far.  54.4 ORTG, 0.0 eFG, 0.0 assist rate, 45.9 TO rate, 29.2 usage.

At this point, I can't see how he gets minutes.  Let him get back into the swing of things in practice first.  Maybe he gets a little run later in the year, but I wouldn't be surprised if this year is a total loss for Dexter.

I still have hope for Dexter long term.  After all, Sacar did nothing his first two years and he ended up a 3 year starter.  Let's give Dexter time to keep developing.
Maybe Wojo did not want to risk Dexter turning the ball over against Creighton, but I also wondered if the Florida player collasping had Wojo worried about playing a player that had Covid.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2020, 01:00:53 PM »
We knew wojo would tighten the rotation to 7-8 players once the BE started.

Looks like it will be 8 once Symir comes back as DJ will need a couple of breaks per game. I expect to see him get 6-8 minutes as the 8th guy.