[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Basketball and Risk  (Read 1440 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Basketball and Risk
« on: October 28, 2020, 04:20:42 PM »
The IHSA decision made me think... at what point would I feel comfortable playing basketball again? I was finally back to playing twice a week after a nasty ankle injury, and the last run we had was the day after the NBA shut down. I miss it like crazy. Being without that magic combination of physical activity, competition, and social interaction for so long has taken a bit of a toll on me.

I'd consider playing again if we got to a point locally where the positivity rate was low and cases had steadily declined. There would of course be risk, but a ton less than now, obviously.

Curious to hear from those who still play regularly, what they would need to see before playing again.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Basketball and Risk
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 04:48:13 PM »
An at home test that is affordable and reliable. Or a vaccine or reliable treatment.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 05:18:05 PM »
The IHSA decision made me think... at what point would I feel comfortable playing basketball again? I was finally back to playing twice a week after a nasty ankle injury, and the last run we had was the day after the NBA shut down. I miss it like crazy. Being without that magic combination of physical activity, competition, and social interaction for so long has taken a bit of a toll on me.

I'd consider playing again if we got to a point locally where the positivity rate was low and cases had steadily declined. There would of course be risk, but a ton less than now, obviously.

Curious to hear from those who still play regularly, what they would need to see before playing again.

I feel for ya, man.

When I was young, I played 5 days a week either at the 'Y' or at the Carthage or UW-Parkside gyms. Would've been tough to stop cold turkey.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 09:29:02 AM »
I played in two softball leagues over the summer.  Granted, basketball results in closer contact than softball, and the softball is played outdoors so it's inherently less prone to spreading airborne germs. The softball games were played from July through September with really nothing substantially different than normal years, and both seasons went off without any problems.  Nobody on either of my teams (or in my leagues, as far as I know) were infected and no games were forfeited.  One guy on my team opted out because he had a newborn baby in his household. 

It was great to be able to do that. 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

feedback