[Today at 09:54:20 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 NFL Season  (Read 256670 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: 2020-21 NFL Season
« Reply #1500 on: January 14, 2021, 11:49:38 AM »
I'd put Eric Bienemy at the top of my list.  He helped developed Mahomes and learned from a very successful coach in Andy Reid.  That's who I would want developing Trevor Lawrence.

Wasn't this the Bears' rationale for hiring Nagy? He helped revive Alex Smith's career and was Mahomes' tutor through his rookie year in KC. Just the guy you'd want to develop a QB, supposedly.
I'm not pro- or anti-Bienemy, but plenty of teams have gone wrong hiring an Andy Reid offensive assistant (see also: Brad Childress, Pat Shurmur).

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1501 on: January 14, 2021, 12:28:31 PM »

Actually the Bears structure is fine.  Nagy reports to Pace who reports to Ted Philips.  The problem is that Nagy is no Holmgren, Pace is no Wolf, and Philips is no Harlan.

And the structure change with the Packers was a little different than you remember.  The Board stopped getting involved in personnel matters long before Harlan.  Prior to him, the GM (Braatz) and the coach (Infante) both reported to the President (Parins).  That structure still exists in some places today - in Kansas City and Seattle for instance.  And while I would prefer the way the Packers are structured now, the biggest problem with Braatz, Infante and Parins were they were not very good at their jobs.

The Board of Directors' involvement with the Packers ebbs and flows predicated on the strength of the people working in executive positions with the Packers and the quality of the team on the field. Back in the 1950s, the Board was heavily involved with the operation of the Packers. That stopped cold when one Vincent Thomas Lombardi showed up in Green Bay.

I believe both the Packers GM and Coach report directly to the CEO.

As to the Bears, the press conference yesterday was so full of crap, you had to duck when anyone sneezed. When you lose 22 of the last 27 games to your archrival; when you have not been reasonably competitive for a Lombardi in a decade; and, your last Super Bowl win was 35 years ago. your culture stinks. It rewards mediocrity. Simply put, it is crap. The McCaskeys can't do anything about it because you have too many shirttail relatives living off the Bears. Without payouts, those folks would be counter clerks at McDonalds.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1502 on: January 14, 2021, 01:06:34 PM »
Wasn't this the Bears' rationale for hiring Nagy? He helped revive Alex Smith's career and was Mahomes' tutor through his rookie year in KC. Just the guy you'd want to develop a QB, supposedly.
I'm not pro- or anti-Bienemy, but plenty of teams have gone wrong hiring an Andy Reid offensive assistant (see also: Brad Childress, Pat Shurmur).

Childress just had culture issues. He had some pretty significant success there. And Shurmur had been all over the place, he got his first HC gig largely cause of what he did with the Rams, not so much under Reid.

Comparing Bieniemy to Nagy is unfair. One played in the NFL for a decade and then coached in the NFL under various HCs for a decade, plus stints at the P5 level in college including as an OC.  The other had only been a position coach for 5 seasons before getting the Bears gig, and had literally only worked with and under Andy Reid

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1503 on: January 14, 2021, 02:20:12 PM »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1504 on: January 14, 2021, 02:40:59 PM »

Nagy was fine to hire.  Since then we've learned his play calling stinks.  I think Pace is more culpable for Trubisky, both for bad talent evaluation and not consulting with his coach at the time, John Fox.

Bienemy is highly regarded and plays a big role in KC's game plans.  He might not be any better than Nagy, but I still would rather see him get a shot before Urban Meyer.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1505 on: January 14, 2021, 03:08:13 PM »
I don’t know if Meyer will be successful in the NFL, I think he will struggle with a comparative lack of control compared to what you have in college.

However, let’s not run with this whole “he just had better athletes” thing.  He took over a BG program that was 15-21 the previous 3 years, including 2-9 the year before, and promptly went 8-3 and 9-3.  Utah was a middling Mountain West team who was 5-6 the prior year, Meyer had them 10-2 and 12-0 and playing in a New Years Day bowl immediately.  Same with UF. They weren’t a dumpster fire when he got there, but they were just ok with Zook and he won’t a title within 2 seasons.

I can’t stand him, but the dude can coach, flat out.  Will it work in the NFL? Not sure, but he’s not the football equivalent of “get studs and roll the ball out there”

Sure Meyer can coach at the college level.  I don't see his system translating at the NFL level.  His system relied heavily on dual threat QB, read options.  That went out of vogue in the NFL years ago.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1506 on: January 14, 2021, 03:12:43 PM »
Sure Meyer can coach at the college level.  I don't see his system translating at the NFL level.  His system relied heavily on dual threat QB, read options.  That went out of vogue in the NFL years ago.

That’s totally fair and a valid concern I would share if I was a Jags fan. But that’s very different than your previous assertion that he just “out-athleted” his opponents cause he had stacked teams at OSU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1507 on: January 14, 2021, 03:24:16 PM »
As the Bears fans wail and gnash their teeth about all of the failures of their playoff organization, the Lions have hired a new GM with no experience.    Top point of his resume' is that he was the college talent evaluator for the Rams.    Brad Holmes.    I am sure you are all shaking in your LL Bean boots. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1508 on: January 14, 2021, 05:46:44 PM »
As the Bears fans wail and gnash their teeth about all of the failures of their playoff organization, the Lions have hired a new GM with no experience.    Top point of his resume' is that he was the college talent evaluator for the Rams.    Brad Holmes.    I am sure you are all shaking in your LL Bean boots.

You never know. I was gnashing my teeth when the Pack announced Gutekunst. I'd give him a positive grade so far.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1509 on: January 14, 2021, 06:22:09 PM »
I like his references.   I like the stories of his character and how his mind works.  He is going from around #5 in the Rams heirarchy to the big chair.   It may end up being genius.   It certainly isn't a safe or experienced choice.  4th straight Detroit GM with no prior GM experience.   

Which explains a lot.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1510 on: January 14, 2021, 06:42:45 PM »

...wut?

Have you seen the Ravens with Lamar?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1511 on: January 14, 2021, 06:59:43 PM »

Maybe Kaepernick finally gets another shot.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1512 on: January 14, 2021, 07:34:23 PM »
Cam Newton was amazing out of the read option, and not all that long ago. In 2017, he ran for a career-high 754 yards and led the Panthers to an 11-5 record and the playoffs.

Hell, he ran for 592 yards for the Pats last year, some out of the read option, though that was partly (maybe even mostly) because his shoulder is string cheese and he can't throw it even 10 yards with zip any more.

Obviously, Newton was a freak -- so big, so fast, such a huge arm. And even he eventually got hurt because of all the pounding. But the read option can still work with the right QB and coach.

I mean ... Lamar Jackson. Hello.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1513 on: January 14, 2021, 08:15:09 PM »
Urban Meyer going to the Jags is a good move. He will have the number one draft choice to work with, as well as 11 total draft choice and a huge amount of cap room for free agents.

Jacksonville is very much a Florida Gators town and bringing back an old  college hero is certain to put fans in the seats.

Meyer has been a big winner everywhere . I am sure he will assemble a top notch coaching staff. His recruiting expertise will now extend to free agents.

Give him a couple of years and The Jags will be a team that can contend for the playoffs.
UNC Grad MU Fan

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1514 on: January 14, 2021, 08:24:03 PM »
Jacksonville is very much a Florida Gators town and bringing back an old  college hero is certain to put fans in the seats.

I don't know....I'm friends with a good amount of Gator fans and to a T, they all hate Urban Meyer. I texted a couple of them about Urban to Jacksonville and they all think its hilarious...though to be fair they aren't Jag fans.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 08:25:39 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1515 on: January 14, 2021, 08:25:56 PM »
Urban Meyer going to the Jags is a good move. He will have the number one draft choice to work with, as well as 11 total draft choice and a huge amount of cap room for free agents.

But do they love him in London?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 08:41:43 PM by Pakuni »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1516 on: January 14, 2021, 08:30:48 PM »

Meyer has been a big winner everywhere . I am sure he will assemble a top notch coaching staff. His recruiting expertise will now extend to free agents.

Give him a couple of years and The Jags will be a team that can contend for the playoffs.

Contend for the playoffs?  That’s not exactly a high bar to clear.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1517 on: January 14, 2021, 09:53:17 PM »
Have Meyer’s health issues resolved, or was that just an excuse to bolt from tOSU?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1518 on: January 15, 2021, 07:44:21 AM »
Have Meyer’s health issues resolved, or was that just an excuse to bolt from tOSU?

I think they are legit, easily used as an excuse, and not serious enough to overcome his desire to coach after he sits out for a couple of years.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1519 on: January 15, 2021, 12:18:47 PM »
Contend for the playoffs?  That’s not exactly a high bar to clear.

When you're the Jags, it's one step at a time!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1520 on: January 15, 2021, 04:37:10 PM »
Arthur Smith is the new Atlanta Falcons Head Coach. He coached under four different head coaches with the Tennessee Titans this past decade.

https://twitter.com/AtlantaFalcons/status/1350197483343900684?s=19

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1521 on: January 15, 2021, 05:05:45 PM »

I think they are legit, easily used as an excuse, and not serious enough to overcome his desire to coach after he sits out for a couple of years.

They were an excuse at Florida after getting found out by his family for chasing coeds. And at OSU there was the Ryan Smith coverup.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1522 on: January 16, 2021, 01:10:46 PM »
Ludum habemus.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1523 on: January 16, 2021, 05:21:45 PM »
Pack looking great

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1524 on: January 16, 2021, 06:11:37 PM »
Arthur Smith is the new Atlanta Falcons Head Coach. He coached under four different head coaches with the Tennessee Titans this past decade.

https://twitter.com/AtlantaFalcons/status/1350197483343900684?s=19

He’s a good offensive mind, but his pops likely was the reason he survived every coaching purge in Nashville.  It’s not the main story with him, but it’s no coincidence that his NFL career has been with the two franchises that FedEx is closely connected to