[Today at 07:05:03 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:25:51 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sigh... I don’t even know what to do with this.  (Read 1953 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Sigh... I don’t even know what to do with this.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 07:24:06 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.html

It is incredibly depressing that we are six months into this and still can’t rely on a high level accuracy from the tests.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 07:31:48 PM »
Wow, I'm very surprised!

You get your tests:

1. Cheap
2. Accurate
3. Fast

Pick two.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 12:33:44 AM »
Remember, the original CDC test had 3 parts, but they elected to get rid of the part that kept coming back "inconclusive".  Not blaming the CDC for this, just that this particular virus doesn't seem as clear and easy to detect as others.

Though, it probably spreads easier (duh), making the false positive/negative or inconclusive seem like more of a cluster F than they would with other viruses.

As an aside, mentioned this while sitting on a patio having food/drinks with my wife last night... On a whole, given the massive changes we've had to deal with since Jan, humankind has actually rolled with the changes well.  I know there's a lot of WTF going on, but people are resilient, and life moves forward...

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 05:23:31 AM »
I tend to agree with Michael Mina, he has been an advocate for ‘useful’ testing.  Cheap and detecting contagious is the priority over high sensitivity for a lot of reasons in the article.  It makes sense—a better way. 

That being said isn’t this type of test pretty standard around the world?  It’s not the reason we are failing so miserably. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 08:36:33 AM »
I tend to agree with Michael Mina, he has been an advocate for ‘useful’ testing.  Cheap and detecting contagious is the priority over high sensitivity for a lot of reasons in the article.  It makes sense—a better way. 

That being said isn’t this type of test pretty standard around the world?  It’s not the reason we are failing so miserably.

Yes, PCR testing for COVID is common around the world. However, since the testing is centralized in most places, public health authorities may know (maybe even dictate) the number of PCR cycles that are being used. If that is the case, public health officials would be able to make more well-informed decisions about the results. Here, we have dozens (hundreds?) of different test kits being used with differing ranges of cycles, making it virtually impossible for public health officials to make the nuanced decisions based on C.T. values, as Mina and Rasmussen mention in the article.

I couldn't determine from a Google search whether other countries are actually doing this, so I'd welcome others' contributions if they know. In any case, the incredulity expressed by Mina and Rasmussen, combined with the testing centralization elsewhere vs the wild-west testing here, leads me to suspect this might be a factor in our failure.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 08:39:08 AM by GooooMarquette »