[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:43:51 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by cheebs09
[Today at 10:52:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Chadwick Boseman  (Read 2087 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Chadwick Boseman
« on: August 28, 2020, 09:30:11 PM »
RIP Black Panther.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: Chadwick Boseman
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 09:36:02 PM »
Wow.  Just terrible.  Such a young guy. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 09:36:57 PM »
Damn, younger than me. I'm heartbroken. One of the finest young acting talents of this generation.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 09:42:11 PM »
Given the timeline that he was diagnosed 4 years ago. That means he filmed Black Panther and 2 Avengers movies (stunts and grueling green screen work involved) while battling advanced cancer. That’s incredible what a tough mofo.

It’s also ironic that he was so young given how youthful he looked for his age

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 10:08:50 PM »
Had no idea he was sick.
On Jackie Robinson Day, to boot.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 10:22:52 PM »
Given the timeline that he was diagnosed 4 years ago. That means he filmed Black Panther and 2 Avengers movies (stunts and grueling green screen work involved) while battling advanced cancer. That’s incredible what a tough mofo.

It’s also ironic that he was so young given how youthful he looked for his age

I was thinking the same thing. One tough mofo is true, and a great actor.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 10:23:15 PM »
Wow, I’m still stunned. Opened Twitter and had one of those “there’s no eff’n way this is true” moments.

Died on Jackie Robinson Day and the creator of Black Panthers birthday...that’s surreal.

I can’t imagine what he physically put himself through to do the Marvel movies. Man, this sucks.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 10:24:25 PM »
Wakanda Forever.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 11:31:21 PM »
This year keeps taking. How gracious and strong was he to fight that battle silently all these years?

https://twitter.com/DavidDTSS/status/1299546534032412672?s=19   

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 08:13:28 AM »
Simply devastated at this news.  He had so much more to offer as a man, father and actor. 
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 10:24:00 AM »

Chadwick Boseman visiting Mady at St Judes Children's Hospital in 2018

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2020, 10:28:27 AM »
Usually celeb deaths don't hit me much. This one really saddens me. With all the racial issues I felt he was the perfect actor to inspire thousands of young black men and give them something to aspire to. Really sad
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2020, 11:00:56 AM »
This one hurts.

Wakanda forever.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2020, 01:19:07 PM »
2020 continues to be just the worst

RIP

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2020, 02:21:24 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2020, 06:39:13 PM »
Also dying last week were Lute Olson and Cliff Robinson. I covered both a little but didn't know either well.

Olson did get ticked off once when I asked him a question about Illini hack Lucas Johnson -- I actually used his own words in the question (he had called Johnson "crazy") and he didn't like that. Denied he had said it ... but he had. But that's OK, it was more a funny exchange between us than anything. I used to like watching his Arizona teams play, and I actually was glad to see him win the title in 1997 because I always feel it's a shame when an otherwise outstanding coach or athlete is saddled with the reputation of "can't win the big one."

Back when he played, Robinson was one of the NBA's really good guys. Very popular with other players and the media. Always a smile and a good word, and you could tell he truly had fun at his job. One would think that would be a given in his pro sports, but it isn't always. He did the "Uncle Cliffy Dance," and rather than tick off his opponents, they enjoyed it because they genuinely liked him and they didn't think he was trying to show them up - kind of like the Icky Shuffle.

RIP to Lute and Uncle Cliffy.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2020, 09:14:46 PM »
We just watched 'Marshall' for the first time.....ignoring Mr. Boseman's acting (which was fantastic) it's amazing that the roles he chose to highlight his talent were so powerful in highlighting the issues, talents, continued persecution, and immense possibilities of the black community.

As a bonus, the fear mongering of the prosecution's closing arguement was pretty much exactly what you hear today  :-\

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2020, 12:19:07 PM »
Also dying last week were Lute Olson and Cliff Robinson. I covered both a little but didn't know either well.

Olson did get ticked off once when I asked him a question about Illini hack Lucas Johnson -- I actually used his own words in the question (he had called Johnson "crazy") and he didn't like that. Denied he had said it ... but he had. But that's OK, it was more a funny exchange between us than anything. I used to like watching his Arizona teams play, and I actually was glad to see him win the title in 1997 because I always feel it's a shame when an otherwise outstanding coach or athlete is saddled with the reputation of "can't win the big one."

Back when he played, Robinson was one of the NBA's really good guys. Very popular with other players and the media. Always a smile and a good word, and you could tell he truly had fun at his job. One would think that would be a given in his pro sports, but it isn't always. He did the "Uncle Cliffy Dance," and rather than tick off his opponents, they enjoyed it because they genuinely liked him and they didn't think he was trying to show them up - kind of like the Icky Shuffle.

RIP to Lute and Uncle Cliffy.

I'm reading up on Cliff Robinson passing.  He was UConn & Jim Calhoun's first big time recruit. 
The New Haven Register article says Cliff picked UConn over Oklahoma, Syracuse & Marquette.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2020, 01:32:07 PM »
I'm reading up on Cliff Robinson passing.  He was UConn & Jim Calhoun's first big time recruit. 
The New Haven Register article says Cliff picked UConn over Oklahoma, Syracuse & Marquette.

OK ... maybe I don't like him as much!

Seriously, I didn't remember that there was even a small Marquette angle. Majerus obviously was in on him. Robinson was a heck of a college player, so he sure would have helped those MU teams. Heck, who knows ... if he goes to MU, maybe Rick sticks around, the Dukiet Error never happens, and our history is changed.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2020, 02:01:00 PM »

Even crazier, he wasn't even a Calhoun recruit.  Calhoun didn't arrive in Storrs until the 86-87 season.  Robinson chose a UConn team lead by Dom Perno who hadn't made the NIT in 3 years and were regularly under .500 over not just Marquette, but a Billy Tubbs coached Oklahoma team who regularly made the NCAA and would make the Elite 8 the year that Robinson was a senior in HS, as well as Boeheim and Syracuse who were regular NCAA participants and growing into a power, besides being close to his home in Buffalo.

He became a UConn legend under Calhoun, but he was found money for Calhoun coming from Northeastern instead of his first big get.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2020, 02:30:35 PM »
OK ... maybe I don't like him as much!

Seriously, I didn't remember that there was even a small Marquette angle. Majerus obviously was in on him. Robinson was a heck of a college player, so he sure would have helped those MU teams. Heck, who knows ... if he goes to MU, maybe Rick sticks around, the Dukiet Error never happens, and our history is changed.
Here’s my Cliff Robinson story:

About 10 years ago I’m playing in a member-guest at The Paterson Club in Fairfield, Connecticut.

It was one of those days. Everything was firing. Tempo, swing, ball-striking. I could’ve closed my eyes and I knew I was gonna stripe it right down the middle. Cliff Robinson is playing in the group directly behind me.

I end up winning the long drive and two closest to the hole prizes. After the awards ceremony I’m in the loo. I notice someone come up to next urinal.

“You Jim Butler?”
“Yes” I reply
“You the motherf***er I’ve been chasing around all day?!?”

I look over and it’s Cliff. He offers to buy me a drink. After I remind him that a) it’s a member-guest and all drinks are free and b) I stopped drinking in 1989 he gets this gigantic smile on his face and says “You’re alright.”

Went back to work the next day and told my partners (2 of whom are UConn alum). They loved it. Said he was hands down one of their all time UConn basketball alum.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2020, 04:17:24 PM »
Here’s my Cliff Robinson story:

About 10 years ago I’m playing in a member-guest at The Paterson Club in Fairfield, Connecticut.

It was one of those days. Everything was firing. Tempo, swing, ball-striking. I could’ve closed my eyes and I knew I was gonna stripe it right down the middle. Cliff Robinson is playing in the group directly behind me.

I end up winning the long drive and two closest to the hole prizes. After the awards ceremony I’m in the loo. I notice someone come up to next urinal.

“You Jim Butler?”
“Yes” I reply
“You the motherf***er I’ve been chasing around all day?!?”

I look over and it’s Cliff. He offers to buy me a drink. After I remind him that a) it’s a member-guest and all drinks are free and b) I stopped drinking in 1989 he gets this gigantic smile on his face and says “You’re alright.”

Went back to work the next day and told my partners (2 of whom are UConn alum). They loved it. Said he was hands down one of their all time UConn basketball alum.

Paterson Club - A former company used to have our golf league night there.  My then company President was a member.  I haven't played there in over 25 years.