[Today at 01:41:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 113233 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #1475 on: June 10, 2023, 10:09:31 AM »
This just got interesting.  Tremendous fight and net play from Muchova. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1476 on: June 10, 2023, 10:20:05 AM »
I have to say the commentary for this match is really bad. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1477 on: June 10, 2023, 11:03:55 AM »
Tough loss for Muchova but credit Swiatek.  I would think Muchova would be very formidable on grass.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1478 on: June 10, 2023, 11:18:52 AM »
I have to say the commentary for this match is really bad.

In order to have the most effective pxp and analysis, one needs to travel and follow the tour week to week.(any sport)

NBC, ESPN are only interested in fewer bigger events for casual observers in tennis and golf. That target market doesn’t care care that the quality is not the best from Hicks or Johnny Mac or Evert etc…They pair an NBC pxp person (a golf and olympics person in this example) with a bigger name tennis person even if the bigger named tennis person isn’t great at the job. Johnny Mac is often not good at the job but he’s a bigger name.

NBC’s long 12 year contract expires after next year. And that should be the end of a long decades run of NBC and tennis. It doesn’t respect the sport. ESPN has in recent years, turned into a slams only place for tennis and golf. They would be likely to pick it up. Tennis Channel and TC plus will continue to carry all tour events including slams.

Chris Eubanks and some others have been very good. Courier has always been good at explaining what is happening in the moment and why it is happening. I’m not their target market as I don’t need sound to watch sports. Sounds stays on for good broadcasts, and it stays down for bad ones for me.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1479 on: June 10, 2023, 11:44:30 AM »
The 7 biggest WTA singles events of the year so far and its winners.

AO: Sabalenka
Dubai: Krejcikova
IW: Rybakina
Miami: Kvitova
Madrid: Sabalenka
Rome: Rybakina
RG: Swiatek

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1480 on: June 10, 2023, 11:55:54 AM »
In order to have the most effective pxp and analysis, one needs to travel and follow the tour week to week.(any sport)

NBC, ESPN are only interested in fewer bigger events for casual observers in tennis and golf. That target market doesn’t care care that the quality is not the best from Hicks or Johnny Mac or Evert etc…They pair an NBC pxp person (a golf and olympics person in this example) with a bigger name tennis person even if the bigger named tennis person isn’t great at the job. Johnny Mac is often not good at the job but he’s a bigger name.

NBC’s long 12 year contract expires after next year. And that should be the end of a long decades run of NBC and tennis. It doesn’t respect the sport. ESPN has in recent years, turned into a slams only place for tennis and golf. They would be likely to pick it up. Tennis Channel and TC plus will continue to carry all tour events including slams.

Chris Eubanks and some others have been very good. Courier has always been good at explaining what is happening in the moment and why it is happening. I’m not their target market as I don’t need sound to watch sports. Sounds stays on for good broadcasts, and it stays down for bad ones for me.

To be honest not one of them analyzed the actual tennis the entire match.  They also have a propensity to talk in non-sequitirs during the course of the points.  Literally 95% of what they said during the entire match was Muchova has had injuries to overcome and Swiatek hasn't lost a set in a GS Final.  They're seriously awful and have been for quite some time. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1481 on: June 10, 2023, 12:41:51 PM »
To be honest not one of them analyzed the actual tennis the entire match.  They also have a propensity to talk in non-sequitirs during the course of the points.  Literally 95% of what they said during the entire match was Muchova has had injuries to overcome and Swiatek hasn't lost a set in a GS Final.  They're seriously awful and have been for quite some time.

Each person is different. And each job is different.

Pxp vs analyst are two very different jobs.

Dan Hicks next to never does tennis outside of the French Open once a year. And he does it as a back up to Mike Tirico. Hicks doesn't travel the tour and follow the tour.

Johnny Mac spends much of his time split between NYC and L.A ( his academy in Randall's Island/Mamhattan and L.A./Malibu)

Evert spends much of her time in Boca Raton.

And so on..

They don't know what to say beyomd talking points and generalities because they are not a regular part of the tour. Again, their target audience are casual observers who either wouldn't know better or who wouldn't care.

Dick Vitale in college basketball for example has a following despite not being a good in game analyst. He's better cast as a hoops PR spokesman giving talks, fund raising etc...

The commentary and discussions have better depth and quality on TC and plus. Some better than others but definitely way better than ehat you would find on NBC and even ESPN too.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1482 on: June 10, 2023, 01:18:56 PM »
Each person is different. And each job is different.

Pxp vs analyst are two very different jobs.

Dan Hicks next to never does tennis outside of the French Open once a year. And he does it as a back up to Mike Tirico. Hicks doesn't travel the tour and follow the tour.

Johnny Mac spends much of his time split between NYC and L.A ( his academy in Randall's Island/Mamhattan and L.A./Malibu)

Evert spends much of her time in Boca Raton.

And so on..

They don't know what to say beyomd talking points and generalities because they are not a regular part of the tour. Again, their target audience are casual observers who either wouldn't know better or who wouldn't care.

Dick Vitale in college basketball for example has a following despite not being a good in game analyst. He's better cast as a hoops PR spokesman giving talks, fund raising etc...

The commentary and discussions have better depth and quality on TC and plus. Some better than others but definitely way better than ehat you would find on NBC and even ESPN too.

I'm sure you're right so perhaps it's time to step it up and get people in the booth that know how to communicate and discuss things?  We are talking about the biggest women's sport in the world.  And it's always been the #1 sport.  McEnroe has had his moments but I think this trio could use a permanent vacation.  Just my opinion.  Muchova is a fun player to watch because she can volley from both wings after she unloads on power  approach shots.  She even served and volleyed a few times. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1483 on: June 10, 2023, 02:28:58 PM »
I didn't watch the match, but I've always liked McEnroe's work. Sad to hear that he apparently has gone downhill so much.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1484 on: June 10, 2023, 03:18:33 PM »
I'm sure you're right so perhaps it's time to step it up and get people in the booth that know how to communicate and discuss things?  We are talking about the biggest women's sport in the world.  And it's always been the #1 sport.  McEnroe has had his moments but I think this trio could use a permanent vacation.  Just my opinion.  Muchova is a fun player to watch because she can volley from both wings after she unloads on power  approach shots.  She even served and volleyed a few times.

Mac has never been a good anayst. That doesn't mean he hasn't been good for the sport in other ways over the years.

Muchova has a tennis purist's all court game. She used very effective strategies vs Sabalenka and Swiatek.

American Austin Krajicek (Texas A&M).won the Men's doubles and is new world number 1, playing with Ivan Dodig.

Americans Tyra Caterina Grant, and Clervie Ngounoue won the French Open girls doubles title.

https://twitter.com/rolandgarros/status/1667549467623473159?t=PicUJhaH5aLHTppCC28C8w&s=19

In 2022, 12 of the top 25 Womem's professional sports earners were Women's tennis players.

Saudia Arabia is set to be the landing spot next year for a 5 year deal for the Next gen finals of a combined ATP and WTA. Someone high up on the tennis totem pole told me it wil likely be Riyadh, but it may also be the port city of Jeddah. Saudi Arabia has to commit to the juniors and lower level tours and establish a tour stop etc...for anything more..

October has been the Asian Swing in tennis. But there has been a recent boycott due to the Peng Shuai incident. But they'll be back.

And they need to combine the tours altogether and get better television coverage ans distribution.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1485 on: June 10, 2023, 05:32:40 PM »
I didn't watch the match, but I've always liked McEnroe's work. Sad to hear that he apparently has gone downhill so much.

In his defense he has to deal with Hicks and Carillo but I think he's pretty much mailing it in. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1486 on: June 11, 2023, 08:34:07 AM »
Could Ruud pull this off?  I suppose it's early. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1487 on: June 11, 2023, 09:03:38 AM »
Ruud really letting an opportunity dwindle in this first set.  Complete loss of focus. 

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #1488 on: June 11, 2023, 09:08:34 AM »
Something wrong with Joker?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1489 on: June 11, 2023, 09:16:26 AM »
Something wrong with Joker?

He doesn't look right.  Ruud must take advantage but he's sprayed way too many unforced errors. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1490 on: June 11, 2023, 09:28:56 AM »
Good God Hicks and Carillo are insufferable. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1491 on: June 11, 2023, 09:57:30 AM »
Ruud really messed up that 1st set. This now looks like a formality and #23 for the Djoker. 

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #1492 on: June 11, 2023, 10:16:18 AM »
Ruud really messed up that 1st set. This now looks like a formality and #23 for the Djoker.

Yeah, had to step away after saying Joker looked off, just now turned it on to see Ruud blow one in the middle of the net down 0-1 and down in set two. It’s early, but perhaps Joker has found his legs.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1493 on: June 11, 2023, 10:40:06 AM »
Yeah, had to step away after saying Joker looked off, just now turned it on to see Ruud blow one in the middle of the net down 0-1 and down in set two. It’s early, but perhaps Joker has found his legs.

Joker is ultimately too good and he did find his legs but that 1st set was thrown away by Caspar.  It's hard enough to beat this guy, you can't dump opportunities. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1494 on: June 11, 2023, 11:05:17 AM »
Damn....that net court hurt.  Focus Caspar!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1495 on: June 11, 2023, 11:20:59 AM »
Djoker has a legitimate shot at the calendar gs.  Say what you want about the guy but he's an incredible athlete and competitor. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1496 on: June 20, 2023, 08:09:24 AM »
After winning the grass court title in Stuttgart, Germany, Frances Tiafoe has entered the ATP singles World Top 10 for the first time in his career. (joining fellow American Taylor Fritz)

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1497 on: July 01, 2023, 02:15:40 PM »
‘Merica seeps singles titles in Eastbourne.

Chris Eubanks, former 2 time Georgia Tech All American, wins his 1st ATP Title and with that he will reach a new career best ATP singles ranking of 43 !!!

Madison Keys wins her 7th career WTA singles title.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1498 on: July 01, 2023, 03:01:50 PM »
Eubanks is fun as hell to watch

shoothoops

• All American

feedback