[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 113245 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #1425 on: May 31, 2023, 08:47:19 PM »
Yes they were.

I just read a good article on Kosovo from April National Geographic.  It's 90% ethnic Albanian. 

They're was another article earlier this year (I forgot where) about how a lot of Serbian was criminals were walking around free in Serbia and no interest from the government in exposing them.

I'm clearly no expert but saying Kosovo has always been a part of Serbia appears factually wrong to me.  They annexed Kosovo soon  after the Ottoman Empire capitulated in 1918.  WTF is Novak talking about?  "I'm against war" doesn't exactly quell any tensions.  Was he asked about Milosevic and his genocidal scumbaggery?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1426 on: May 31, 2023, 08:51:21 PM »
Kind of ridiculous since the vax requirement is ending in May.

It was ridiculous a long time before that.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1427 on: May 31, 2023, 09:41:43 PM »
In 2010 I got to observe briefly a trial in the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague.  I believe it was a police/military commander on trial, and the hostile witness was the mayor of the town. His lack of recollection/knowledge of anything ( including his own signature on a hotel register) was actually laughable. So I totally believe that there are war criminals walking around that none of them care about.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1428 on: June 01, 2023, 09:51:46 AM »
What do people think of Djokovic's Kosovo comments?  I have some trouble following Yugo history but wasn't Serbia responsible for the s-show in the 90's with that scumbag Milosevic?

Maybe talk about Kosovo in the Kosovo thread.

Lots and lots of things to discuss in actual tennis. UVA Men’s Tennis back to back NCAA Champs (Scott Brown moving to Vandy). UNC Women’s National Champs.

10 day 1000 events vs 7 day. (not popular with players, fans, media)

21 year old Former NCAA Champ, 5 time ITF title holder, and soon to be top 50, Peyton Stearns, with a win over World number 17 at the French. Hook Em.

18 American Women made the main draw singles. And that includes 3rd rounder Kayla Day, former top ranked U.S. player in 4 age groups and former US Open singles slam champ.

YouTube TV was set to launch Tennis Channel and T2 today. And…crickets because many were ready to watch and it wasn’t there. TC was previously on YTTV but dropped when all Sinclair Channels were dropped years ago.

WTA San Jose is moving to DC for a combined event with ATP and San Diego will get a WTA event.

Lots from which to choose.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 10:03:46 AM by shoothoops »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1429 on: June 01, 2023, 02:06:37 PM »
American men continue to struggle on clay.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1430 on: June 01, 2023, 02:57:49 PM »
Another terrible PR day for Tennis Channel.

It was well advertised that Tennis Channel would return to YTTV today, and that T2 would abe added as well.

Tennis Channel is only being offered in an extra $11 a month sports package, and T2 didn't air any French Open matches. None of that was made clear to customers. Why would even a die hard tennis fan pay extra for that when TC plus, which shows every match on World Feed is less expensive than that.

Yipes.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1431 on: June 02, 2023, 08:55:32 AM »
Another terrible PR day for Tennis Channel.

It was well advertised that Tennis Channel would return to YTTV today, and that T2 would abe added as well.

Tennis Channel is only being offered in an extra $11 a month sports package, and T2 didn't air any French Open matches. None of that was made clear to customers. Why would even a die hard tennis fan pay extra for that when TC plus, which shows every match on World Feed is less expensive than that.

Yipes.

T2 is showing live (and later, recorded) French Open Tennis all day today and moving forward, for YTTV subscribers. It is included in the regular package at no extra cost.

Also if anyone is interested in a TC Plus Subscription for 20% off, you can get one at buytcplusdotcom Enter Code: SLICE

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1432 on: June 02, 2023, 11:48:41 AM »
21 five set matches in Men’s 1st round is a new tourney record.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1433 on: June 02, 2023, 01:50:32 PM »
T2 is showing live (and later, recorded) French Open Tennis all day today and moving forward, for YTTV subscribers. It is included in the regular package at no extra cost.

Also if anyone is interested in a TC Plus Subscription for 20% off, you can get one at buytcplusdotcom Enter Code: SLICE

How good is Andreeva?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1434 on: June 02, 2023, 03:22:19 PM »
How good is Andreeva?

Which one, Mirra or Erika lol?

I am assuming you are referring to Mirra who just turned 16, because she plays Gauff tomorrow in a big one. But she also has an older sister Erika (18) who also played the French. Mirra and Coco actually practiced together last week.

Mirra is 21-2 in her last 23 matches combined ITF and WTA. She has 4 top 100 wins the past two months: Fernandez, Haddad Maia, Linette, Riske-Amitraj.

She’s very poised on/off court for her age, and still a free spirit off of the court. Very consistent and balanced power from both sides. Moves well. Finishes well at the net for her size. Likes to hit inside out forehands, backhand topspin lobs. Backhand slice is an area that needs some polish. And that will no doubt be part of Coco’s game plan.

Mirra got blown off of the court v Sabalenka on a big court, struggling with her size, court coverage, pace of shot and pace of play. But you could see her processing everything. Just needs reps. It’s a World Top 3 Junior with lots of potential adjusting to the next level. And she has a lot of momentum and confidence. But that was a round of 16 after having initial success.

She dismantled Riske-Amritraj, making her move, raking advantage of her open grip, moving her right, and making her uncomfortable as Riske-Amritraj is a flat hitter. 

She will no doubt try pound Coco’s forehand but Coco has changed her grip and approach there switching out Diego for PM. She’ll make some/miss some on that side as she hasn’t had time to turn the corner with it yet. But the grip, balance, follow through, timing are all new, and improved. Her footwork during and in between shots is much better and more aggressive. As long as she commits to it ling term she will do fine.

But Mirra Andreeva is a very good player who is having a rapid rise from top level world junior to ITF, to now WTA tour.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1435 on: June 02, 2023, 05:20:06 PM »
Which one, Mirra or Erika lol?

I am assuming you are referring to Mirra who just turned 16, because she plays Gauff tomorrow in a big one. But she also has an older sister Erika (18) who also played the French. Mirra and Coco actually practiced together last week.

Mirra is 21-2 in her last 23 matches combined ITF and WTA. She has 4 top 100 wins the past two months: Fernandez, Haddad Maia, Linette, Riske-Amitraj.

She’s very poised on/off court for her age, and still a free spirit off of the court. Very consistent and balanced power from both sides. Moves well. Finishes well at the net for her size. Likes to hit inside out forehands, backhand topspin lobs. Backhand slice is an area that needs some polish. And that will no doubt be part of Coco’s game plan.

Mirra got blown off of the court v Sabalenka on a big court, struggling with her size, court coverage, pace of shot and pace of play. But you could see her processing everything. Just needs reps. It’s a World Top 3 Junior with lots of potential adjusting to the next level. And she has a lot of momentum and confidence. But that was a round of 16 after having initial success.

She dismantled Riske-Amritraj, making her move, raking advantage of her open grip, moving her right, and making her uncomfortable as Riske-Amritraj is a flat hitter. 

She will no doubt try pound Coco’s forehand but Coco has changed her grip and approach there switching out Diego for PM. She’ll make some/miss some on that side as she hasn’t had time to turn the corner with it yet. But the grip, balance, follow through, timing are all new, and improved. Her footwork during and in between shots is much better and more aggressive. As long as she commits to it ling term she will do fine.

But Mirra Andreeva is a very good player who is having a rapid rise from top level world junior to ITF, to now WTA tour.

Mirra.  She just turned 16?  Future star perhaps? 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1436 on: June 02, 2023, 07:47:26 PM »
Mirra.  She just turned 16?  Future star perhaps?

She has top tier, tour level potential, yes. What that plays out to be more specifically, remains to be seen. But she has certain aspects to her game that translate to that level. And she is rapidly rising the tour ranks.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1437 on: June 03, 2023, 08:12:03 AM »
She has top tier, tour level potential, yes. What that plays out to be more specifically, remains to be seen. But she has certain aspects to her game that translate to that level. And she is rapidly rising the tour ranks.

She just took the 1st set from Coco at the French Open.  Wow.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1438 on: June 03, 2023, 09:10:22 AM »
It looks like Coco figured things out.  :)

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1439 on: June 03, 2023, 09:18:55 AM »
She just took the 1st set from Coco at the French Open.  Wow.

That's why they play 2 out of 3 sets. Big time from Coco Gauff. CG led throughout the 1st, let it slip away.

As mentioned, Gauff recently split from Diego Moyano (forehand). And she's been working with Patrick Mouratoglou and as long as she sticks with it long term, bigger results will happen.

Very mature, professional level match for CG. Feel out process in the first set, cautious, adjusting to Andreeva's style of play. Then Coco methodically broke her down and became more aggressive inside the baseline while doing so. Mentally, physically, emotionally taking it up a notch.

Losing the first set, no problem. Gonna be here a long time. Pound to her forehand, no problem wirh grip change, taking it early inside baseline, better footwork and positioning after each shot. Play moonballs center of baseline, no problem. Wait for cross court opportunities and make her move.

Andreeva's talent and future is obvious. And Coco is a top 10 player in the World.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1440 on: June 03, 2023, 10:22:22 AM »
That's why they play 2 out of 3 sets. Big time from Coco Gauff. CG led throughout the 1st, let it slip away.

As mentioned, Gauff recently split from Diego Moyano (forehand). And she's been working with Patrick Mouratoglou and as long as she sticks with it long term, bigger results will happen.

Very mature, professional level match for CG. Feel out process in the first set, cautious, adjusting to Andreeva's style of play. Then Coco methodically broke her down and became more aggressive inside the baseline while doing so. Mentally, physically, emotionally taking it up a notch.

Losing the first set, no problem. Gonna be here a long time. Pound to her forehand, no problem wirh grip change, taking it early inside baseline, better footwork and positioning after each shot. Play moonballs center of baseline, no problem. Wait for cross court opportunities and make her move.

Andreeva's talent and future is obvious. And Coco is a top 10 player in the World.

Swiatek may just be too good on clay though?  I'd like to see Coco snag a GS this year. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1441 on: June 03, 2023, 11:22:41 AM »
Swiatek may just be too good on clay though?  I'd like to see Coco snag a GS this year.

Sabalenka, Rybakina, Swiatek have been the 3 best players. Rybakina withdrew today due to an illness. Sabalenka is on the other side. So its possibly Swiatek and Jabeur, who has been uneven lately but capable. I would not automatically dismiss Andreescu vs Swiatek in round of 16 if that matchup presents itself. If healthy and willing to compete, Bibi will make it interesting.

I’m a one a match at a time person. Next up is Schmiedlova in the round of 16 for the 8th time, and 3rd at The French. Clay is Gauff’s best surface, although she will eventually be a more balanced all surface player. And of course she is just 19.

The recent changes Gauff has made are encouraging longer term to go from annual top 10, which is great, to even beyond that level.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1442 on: June 03, 2023, 12:25:48 PM »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1443 on: June 03, 2023, 12:54:53 PM »
Sabalenka, Rybakina, Swiatek have been the 3 best players. Rybakina withdrew today due to an illness. Sabalenka is on the other side. So its possibly Swiatek and Jabeur, who has been uneven lately but capable. I would not automatically dismiss Andreescu vs Swiatek in round of 16 if that matchup presents itself. If healthy and willing to compete, Bibi will make it interesting.

I’m a one a match at a time person. Next up is Schmiedlova in the round of 16 for the 8th time, and 3rd at The French. Clay is Gauff’s best surface, although she will eventually be a more balanced all surface player. And of course she is just 19.

The recent changes Gauff has made are encouraging longer term to go from annual top 10, which is great, to even beyond that level.

Terrible draw to have Coco vs Iga in the QF.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1444 on: June 03, 2023, 01:47:10 PM »
Terrible draw to have Coco vs Iga in the QF.

I prefer draws to go by rankings which is fair. I don't like when draws are 1 vs 3 and 2 vs 4. And that's a thing.

So it's 1, 4, 6, 7, 10, 11, 13, 14, 18, 20, 22, 23, 25, 30, 32 in the top half.

Rybakina is 4 and she had to withdraw. She was one of the 3 favorites. That leaves Gauff at 6 and Jabeur at 7.

Gauff would have met number 3 Pegula (lost early, had food poisoning) in a quarterfinal, then perhaps Sabalenka or Jabeur after that to get to the final. Sakkari is 8 and that would have been Iga's opponent.

Gauff has had some historically tough bad luck draws. But her draw is very fair in this year's French.

There isn't a perfect way to do it. Gauff could have had 1 more round. Ans different players play better on differenr surfaces. Different players have injuries or not. Differrent players are in form or not.

Right now Sabalenka would be the favorite then Swiatek. Gauff would be next with a few others. And of course Gauff and Pegula will be one of the favorites for the title in doubles.

But again one match at a time. Many players are capable. Lots and lots of good players out there.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1445 on: June 03, 2023, 03:48:50 PM »
It would be really cool if these pros played 2 or 3 matches at a time.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1446 on: June 07, 2023, 09:05:47 AM »
Swiatek destroyed Coco again.   As I said last year she has a ton of work to do to get to Iga's level. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1447 on: June 07, 2023, 09:23:56 AM »
Swiatek destroyed Coco again.   As I said last year she has a ton of work to do to get to Iga's level.

Lol. I must have watched a different match. Couldn’t disagree more.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1448 on: June 07, 2023, 09:32:03 AM »
Lol. I must have watched a different match. Couldn’t disagree more.

I just saw the score.  Is 6-4, 6-2 incorrect?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1449 on: June 07, 2023, 09:44:44 AM »
I just saw the score.  Is 6-4, 6-2 incorrect?

How can you comment specifically about a match you didn’t see?

Maybe watch the match first.

Swiatek had to play her best tennis to win. And, she did, hitting line after line and playing good defense.

Gauff created opportunities for herself in the 1st. She had 1 subpar game in the 9th game of a set that easily could have gone the other way.

She had 4 break point chances in the middle of the 2nd and didn’t convert. She also had lots of opportunity on her 2nd shot after a good service return. That will be a point or emphasis and development.

As previously mentioned, 3 players are a notch above the others right now. (Sabalenka, Rybakina; Sabalenka). Also as previously mentioned, CG has made some recent changes to her game physically and tactically, that will benefit her long term, but those things will need some reps and time.

If anything it was an encouraging performance from the 19 year old in her
3rd straight French Open quarterfinal. The willingness to try some of the new things that will help her go from an annual World top 8 player to beyond that.