[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Beirut Explosion  (Read 3836 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Beirut Explosion
« on: August 04, 2020, 01:00:29 PM »
How does an explosion like that occur from fireworks?  That looks like a nuclear bomb.  Crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS3h1O1WCaM
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jables1604

• Team Captain
Re: Beirut Explosion
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 02:26:25 PM »
Thanks Obama.

Note: I have no idea how to use the teal function.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 02:51:52 PM »
It is weird that the main explosion is a single pressure wave which is typically only seen in high order detonations as opposed to sympathetic and/or low order detonation.

ie. a cache of fireworks typically doesn't blow all at once and so uniform. Something shady is going on there.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 03:25:10 PM »
Reports that confiscated high explosives were stored there.

No confirmation though. But there were numerous different explosions.

I’ll leave it to guys like Eng as to how much explosives would cause something that mammoth.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 03:29:43 PM »
More videos of it here:

Check out Gino Raidy 🇱🇧 (@GinoRaidy): https://twitter.com/GinoRaidy?s=09

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 03:29:54 PM »
Reports that confiscated high explosives were stored there.

No confirmation though. But there were numerous different explosions.

I’ll leave it to guys like Eng as to how much explosives would cause something that mammoth.
I'd guess it would be an ammonium nitrate "plant" in some capacity.....why and what for is for some one else to decide.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 03:59:19 PM »
Nothing shady, just run of the mill stupidity mixed with no regulations.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 04:08:57 PM »
It is weird that the main explosion is a single pressure wave which is typically only seen in high order detonations as opposed to sympathetic and/or low order detonation.

ie. a cache of fireworks typically doesn't blow all at once and so uniform. Something shady is going on there.

In 1 of the many videos I watched you can see many small explosions going off inside the whse prior to the giant blast

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 04:48:22 PM »
In 1 of the many videos I watched you can see many small explosions going off inside the whse prior to the giant blast

Oh for sure there were some fireworks or electrical sparking going on before.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 05:06:46 PM »
I'd guess it would be an ammonium nitrate "plant" in some capacity.....why and what for is for some one else to decide.

Spot on. 27,000 tons were stored there. That’s 54,000,000 pounds. Been stored there since 2014.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 06:18:59 PM »
Trump refers to it as "an attack."  ::)
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 07:10:15 PM »
Trump refers to it as "an attack."  ::)

The warehouse held highly explosive material, said an official with Lebanon’s army who added that the blast was likely caused by a fire and wasn’t an attack.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 09:25:12 AM »
Seems there have been a large number of "malfunctions" leading to explosions or significant fires around the world lately. I wonder if this could be related to malware believed to play a role in the other events.

Even we had the Bonhomme Richard absolutely gutted by explosions and fires. Wouldn't be surprised if that was malware related.

Not sure if these were instances of cyber attacks, but I think we'll see a rise in cyber attacks to infrastructure in the coming years. Possibly stemming from the hack and release of cyber warfare code from the pentagon.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 09:28:34 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't be too quick to write this off as an accident.  It very well could have been an attack of some sort.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 09:46:28 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't be too quick to write this off as an accident.  It very well could have been an attack of some sort.

Certainly possible. But the generals did NOT tell trump it was an attack. He just made it up out of thin air.

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 09:57:11 AM »
Certainly possible. But the generals did NOT tell trump it was an attack. He just made it up out of thin air.

<sigh>  OK.  Whatever.  That wasn't even my point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 10:46:56 AM »
Seems there have been a large number of "malfunctions" leading to explosions or significant fires around the world lately. I wonder if this could be related to malware believed to play a role in the other events.

Even we had the Bonhomme Richard absolutely gutted by explosions and fires. Wouldn't be surprised if that was malware related.

Not sure if these were instances of cyber attacks, but I think we'll see a rise in cyber attacks to infrastructure in the coming years. Possibly stemming from the hack and release of cyber warfare code from the pentagon.

Not to deny you the tinfoil hat but BR was not a cyber attack, it was workplace carelessness during refit. Additionally, there is nothing networked on any US warship that could be hacked and start a fire.

As to the rest, absolutely the cyber attack surface has exploded over the last couple of years(last 6 months especially) so vulnerabilities are definitely a concern. I wouldn't be a lot of stock in the white hat US military types doing it though. Much more likely to be the Israelis or the Brits.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2020, 11:10:10 AM »
There was a fire in LA a few weeks back where firefighters were injured when a fire reached highly flammable and explosive materials. This looks like the same concept, just much, much larger.     There is every chance that I am wrong, but the Beirut explosion is consistent with a bad fire reaching explosives.    In this case, ammonium nitrate.    So, to me, the question isn't what caused the explosion.    The question is what caused the initial fire that reached the explosives.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2020, 11:13:45 AM »
Reports show they have been storing over 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate for six years. Damn. The OK bombing was 2.5 tons.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2020, 11:33:56 AM »
Not to deny you the tinfoil hat but BR was not a cyber attack, it was workplace carelessness during refit. Additionally, there is nothing networked on any US warship that could be hacked and start a fire.

As to the rest, absolutely the cyber attack surface has exploded over the last couple of years(last 6 months especially) so vulnerabilities are definitely a concern. I wouldn't be a lot of stock in the white hat US military types doing it though. Much more likely to be the Israelis or the Brits.

**puts tinfoil hat on**

In general I agree. But if the BR was a cyber attack, we would never know the truth on that matter. Also, as was the case in many of the successful cyber attacks in places like Iran, it wasn't networked elements that allowed the intrusion, it was people bringing infected elements into the closed system.

I'm not knowledgable on the infrastructure in something like the BR, but I would assume that the control systems are still running on internally networked systems, making them vulnerable to someone inadvertently introducing malware.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 11:45:35 AM »
**puts tinfoil hat on**

In general I agree. But if the BR was a cyber attack, we would never know the truth on that matter. Also, as was the case in many of the successful cyber attacks in places like Iran, it wasn't networked elements that allowed the intrusion, it was people bringing infected elements into the closed system.

I'm not knowledgable on the infrastructure in something like the BR, but I would assume that the control systems are still running on internally networked systems, making them vulnerable to someone inadvertently introducing malware.

You are just gonna have to trust me on this, BR wasn't a cyber attack. While the BR could have cyber attacks against it I am 99.999% confident the outcome of a cyber attack could not result in a fire that guts the ship. Navy ships are built to be very, very, very, very fire resistant, nothing scares a sailor more than a shipboard fire. There is nothing in the networked systems that could create a sustainable fire source enough to ignite material that is specifically designed to not ignite.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2020, 11:51:01 AM »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2020, 03:56:35 PM »
You are just gonna have to trust me on this, BR wasn't a cyber attack.

Works for me...but can I still wear my tinfoil hat?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2020, 07:43:38 PM »
Works for me...but can I still wear my tinfoil hat?

absolutely, its a mostly free country  :o ;D

feedback