[Today at 02:58:27 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Seltzer vs beer  (Read 2199 times)

jesmu84

• All American

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Seltzer vs beer
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 02:30:39 PM »
https://twitter.com/BrewersStats/status/1288822207204925441?s=19

These non-beer drinks are all fads.  Remember wine coolers?  Remember alcoholic lemonade?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 03:08:37 PM »
These non-beer drinks are all fads.  Remember wine coolers?  Remember alcoholic lemonade?

Eh, I think the whole the market is getting saturated but the best will remain.  Some people just don’t like beer, and don’t want sugary lemonades and wine coolers.

For me, rather just pour my own vodka/ seltzer.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 03:27:27 PM »
Yeah we will see how it goes, but my wife loves those things.  She doesn't like beer and thinks the lemonades, etc. are too sweet. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 03:31:15 PM »

I dunno, these seltzers are so ubiquitous now. Wine coolers and alcoholic lemonades may have been a little before my time, but I doubt they ever reached the market saturation that seltzers have. People love 'em, and now even Coke is getting into the game.
https://twitter.com/BeverageDigest/status/1288857298224517122
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 03:32:57 PM »
I dunno, these seltzers are so ubiquitous now. Wine coolers and alcoholic lemonades may have been a little before my time, but I doubt they ever reached the market saturation that seltzers have. People love 'em, and now even Coke is getting into the game.

Jack Daniels was in the 'malt beverage' game... smirnoff ices anyone? ZIMA!?

I get your points though guys.

The funniest thing about the hard seltzers is how easy and cheap they are to make.  I can slap together 5 gallons for under $10.

Manufacturers must be making money hand over fist on these.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 03:33:57 PM »

I present to you the poster child:

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 03:37:41 PM »

Yeah I think the seltzers are more popular than the wine coolers.  But OTOH, these guys were all over the TV in the 1980s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkoF0oGUh4U
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 03:39:03 PM »
I present to you the poster child:

Zima walked so White Claw could run
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 03:41:47 PM »
Seltzer for sure is bigger than Mikes, Ices, etc. honestly I know I can make them super quick and easy but I still find myself buying white claws for the odd day drink during the summer.

Also the Henry's and Trulys are nasty white claws the only one I've had where I liked it
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 03:44:57 PM »
Seltzer for sure is bigger than Mikes, Ices, etc. honestly I know I can make them super quick and easy but I still find myself buying white claws for the odd day drink during the summer.

Also the Henry's and Trulys are nasty white claws the only one I've had where I liked it

They're all gross to me.  My wife drinks them, but I'd rather drink macro beer than selters.

She loves Social Seltzer... but also likes the offerings from Karben 4 and Ale Asylum

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 04:01:03 PM »
Depends on what I am doing. 90% of the time I prefer beer but I'll crack a lime White Claw open if I am doing yard work or driving to work

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 04:05:25 PM »
Depends on what I am doing. 90% of the time I prefer beer but I'll crack a lime White Claw open if I am doing yard work or driving to work

Say what

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 04:08:58 PM »
Say what

Clearly he meant driving from work.  I mean, he wouldn't want to get fired.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 04:36:33 PM »
Hard seltzer has the added connection to sparkling water, which has only continued to grow as a segment over the years.  Unless people go away from health conscious options, I think seltzer will always have a place, if not the absolute beast of a player they are right now

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 04:41:11 PM »

Wine cooler sales were as big as seltzer sales are now, maybe bigger.  There just wasn’t as many players in the category.  Beer people are praying it’s a fad but it has not slowed down versus last summer at all.  The malterntives were a one-hit wonder.

Seltzer’s are eating into wine and spirit sales as well.  Spirit companies are cranking out all kinds of new pre-made cocktails trying to win back share. 

I’m in the business and can say there is panic amongst beer, wine and liquor people over this
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 05:18:48 PM »
Wine cooler sales were as big as seltzer sales are now, maybe bigger.  There just wasn’t as many players in the category.  Beer people are praying it’s a fad but it has not slowed down versus last summer at all.  The malterntives were a one-hit wonder.

Seltzer’s are eating into wine and spirit sales as well.  Spirit companies are cranking out all kinds of new pre-made cocktails trying to win back share. 

I’m in the business and can say there is panic amongst beer, wine and liquor people over this

Which is weird because couldn't someone like Tito's just come out with Tito's sparkling water? Can't be much overhead to put a shot and a half of vodka into a can of sparkling water then can it
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 05:25:19 PM »
Which is weird because couldn't someone like Tito's just come out with Tito's sparkling water? Can't be much overhead to put a shot and a half of vodka into a can of sparkling water then can it

I assume it’s an image issue and stubborn pride.

True story about Tito’s.  I witnessed one of the first sales pitches when Tito’s came to Wisconsin.  The pitch revolved around it being family owned and the owner touching every bottle that left his building.  The buyer was skeptical and asked what happens if it sells a million cases?  He was promised by the rep the goal was quality vodka at an affordable price that was American made and volume was never going to be a goal.

They sold nearly 8 million cases in 2018!
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2020, 05:31:06 PM »

Same thing was said about light beer. They did ok.

Hard Seltzer is just a Light Beer that tastes good. I'll take a Black Cherry Bud Light Seltzer or Claw over any traditional light lager any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Hard Seltzer is here to stay. It's the Light Beer for the Gen Z generation.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2020, 05:37:15 PM »
So why is it that "hard" energy drinks never caught on? 

Can skateboarders and BMXers really be satisfied with the current level of EXTREME brought to them by Mountain Dew?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2020, 05:46:12 PM »

Clearly he meant driving from work.  I mean, he wouldn't want to get fired.

I like to leave work around 1:30, grab one of those giant Modelo Salt and Limes, two beefy Frito burritos from Taco Bell and beat the traffic home on Fridays.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2020, 05:51:18 PM »

It's all about TAXES and route to market distribution.

Liquor is taxed at a higher rate than malt and dextrose based fermentations. These things do exists and they're called RTD's or Ready To Drink Cocktails. What you described is essentially High Noon. Their price point for 4pk of 10oz slims is $9.99. I think they're in the 8% abv range.This is where a 12pk of 12oz Leading Hard Seltzer Variety Pack is $14.99/15.99 depending on where you live.

Also, these are often distributed by spirits distributors not beer. You don't see these items at c-stores as much. More a specialty thing.
But I like to throw handfuls...

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2020, 08:13:42 PM »
LOL. Underrated post.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2020, 10:49:18 AM »
I assume it’s an image issue and stubborn pride.

True story about Tito’s.  I witnessed one of the first sales pitches when Tito’s came to Wisconsin.  The pitch revolved around it being family owned and the owner touching every bottle that left his building.  The buyer was skeptical and asked what happens if it sells a million cases?  He was promised by the rep the goal was quality vodka at an affordable price that was American made and volume was never going to be a goal.

They sold nearly 8 million cases in 2018!

I also like that his name is Tito Beveridge, not quite Beverage, but close enough.  And that plucky little vodka made him a billionaire